Is this 1st edition box fake?

I won an auction for a 1st edition base set sealed box but after receiving it I am concerned it may not be genuine. I’ve compared it to a genuine green-wing charizard box I have and the printing is definitely not as clear and seems grainy. The text is not sharp and clear the way it is on the other box. Perhaps someone more experienced with these boxes tell me if it is normal for the print quality on them to be worse on the 1st edition boxes compared to the unlimited boxes?

There are some pictures of the box on the ebay listing, maybe you guys could take a look and see what you think.

Update - 16 December 2016

Ebay instructed me to return this to the seller which I did do and the seller then had six working days to refund me. Obviously the seller didn’t do this so I phoned ebay and they told me I have won the case and would be refunded within 24 hours. Today, 48 hours later, I had no refund so I phoned them again and they apologized and said that because it was a high value item it will take a little longer and I will have my money back by Wednesday next week. I told them I was worried about it and they assured me I have 100% won the case and will for definite get my money back which is a relief after three weeks worrying about losing so much money.

The seller has been contacting me during this process trying to trick me into cancelling the transaction, accusing me of being the bad guy and sending back different packs, as well as trying to sell me more counterfeit boxes so I can resell them. I can’t even comprehend ever being able to steal 7200 euros from an innocent person and can only assume that something is wrong in this person’s brain. I’ve quoted a few of his messages below so you can see for yourselves what kind of person this is. I’ve also emailed all the information I have to the local police department in Gent, Belgium where the seller lives and hopefully they can do something about it.

Overall though, even though it did not work out this time, I have not been put off trying to find bargains on ebay to add to my collection. This is a hobby that brings me great joy and ebay buyer protection seems to have you covered when things go wrong.

www.elitefourum.com/t/base-set-first-edition-booster-box/15101/1

You really need to see this thread, another collector got just burned with fake box and it seems the source for your box is from same place.

1 Like

Yeah the table those pics are on are very similar

These are fake first edition boxes they printed as you can see on the bottom of the boosterbox. They are always from Genk (Belgium) and they scammed numerous People. I was going to buy in person but got tipped off by several people.

1 Like

Just opened the box, it was indeed fake. Now I’ll have to try and get my money back through ebay/paypal.

Sounds like it’s time to open a case!

Too bad you opened it already now the case might be a bit difficult.

It should be easy if it’s through ebay~

Item not as described

What was in the fake box?

I bought it through ebay and paid with paypal so I should be fine right? Ebay live chat told me to open a return request with the reason “Doesn’t seem authentic” which I have done and the seller has just accepted the return request so now I guess I need to return it to the seller. If he doesn’t refund me then I would expect ebay will and try to reclaim the money from him. At least that’s what I hope is going to happen and is what ebay’s buyer protection says. Has anyone here been through this process before?

As for what was in the box:

For a return process through eBay, when the item gets delivered the seller should refund you. If the seller does not eBay will do it for that person when you contact them after a certain time :blush:

That picture makes me sad :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Wow, shocked to see this, very professional fake…
Hope you get your money back quick.

3 Likes

Indeed, then again refund should be no brainer when ebay sees 1999 product containing 2007 and newer cards.

@syalith Best of luck getting your money back, time to put that war face on. :ninja:

Sorry to see that you got stung like that mate, hope you’re able to get a full refund. These people are the scum of the Earth, such a shame they feel the need to do these things to others.

I wonder how many people he successfully scams real sad

Omg, that dude’s from my country! If you need any help, don’t hesitate to contact me!

Could I have his name? Maybe it rings a bell.

I can’t begin to express how angry I am at seeing this. Does anyone know how do they get to print the booster backs like that but with other cards? To they just fill them with other cards and create the label from scratch?

Sorry to hear this happened to you. There are quite a lot of fakes out there now and it seems to be getting worse. Since the seller has very little feedback it may be easy to get your money back. However, I know of some instances where paypal will demand a letter which states that the product received was indeed fake. The letter needs to come from a reputable company with expertise in this kind of product. If Paypal does not cooperate another option is to file a claim with your credit card company. If you paid via Paypal funds or direct from bank account this would not be an option. Hopefully it isn’t necessary and you are quickly refunded. Good luck.

Yes, the box is a rewrap. You don’t need to open it. Just file a case and follow their instructions.
If you decide to open it there could be packs of non 1st Ed cards which you can remove and just throw in 400 cheap commons so at least you get something out of it. Even opened 1st Ed packs have pretty good value;)

Edit: I see now the comments so I guess it’s settled. Good luck:)

They just fill empty packs with junk cards and re-seal.

The packs are fake also, they are not real 1st edition packs resealed.