Is it worth it purchasing from troll and toad?

Is it worth taking a risk purchasing older near-mint cards (early 2000s) from troll and toad or better off hunting on eBay? How do the majority end up grading, and what’s you exp. with the site? I’m not a huge spender and buy the majority of my older cards already graded. I’d be fine with receiving a card with 8-10 potential but would be disappointed in anything less.

Never purchased loose cards from them but recently sold a bunch and they dont accept them with sleeves so doubt there would be any 10 candidates

From my personal experience, older near mint cards from trollandtoad can range anywhere from PSA 6-PSA 10 quality. Usually though the cards are in good shape, and the times I ordered from them I was happy. However, if you’d be disappointed by anything less than an 8, I would advise against buying from them. The chances of getting a PSA 8 or PSA 9-worthy card is decent, but there’s always a chance to get a ‘‘disappointing’’ lower quality card. In the end, it’s just a gamble and it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth the gamble!

Side note: I have seen some crazy lucky trollandtoad purchases on youtube. Most notably: Rhymestyle bought a reverse holo legendary collection charizard from trollandtoad that ended up grading a 10!

2 Likes

Near mint = PSA 7, just saying.

From my personal T&T experience, most of the NM cards I purchased were indeed 6-8(+). Just don’t expect Gem Mints.

5 Likes

Troll in Toad is a slot machine. You will hear that story about someone hitting the jackpot. Otherwise 95% of cards that are psa 5-7 condition.

They are a solid option for binder cards.

8 Likes

Gotta risk it for the biscuit

6 Likes

I’ve never bought any cards from them, but it seems that a lot of people have too high standards when buying a card stated as near mint. they are disappointed when they don’t get a psa 9-10 candidat which is ridiculous. Personally, I wouldn’t buy these cards when I’m lf for grading worthy cards though.

Who’s troll toad?

1 Like

As people already mentioned, they advertise their cards as NM max, wich corresponds to a Psa 7. There are cards they sell that are better condition than that, especially newer cards.
However when you’re being told by the site itself that it’s 7 condition, it would just be silly to expect 9 - 10 conditions and then be upset cause the card wasn’t better than advertised.

7 Likes

I’d give you two thumbs up if I could. That’s essentially what I was trying to say.

1 Like

I have never had a good experience with them, and I have ordered from the multiple times.

PSA7s and 6s. They just have junk tbh. Their definition of NM/M is the bottom of the barrel scrape-by.

2 Likes

I cant agree with everyone more… I like them for cheap cards where condition doesn’t really matter. As other’s have stated, Troll N Toad grading system sucks (yes I understand that grading is subjective) but NM I dont expect the product they send out. I also hate the way they pack multiple cards in one sleeve if you buy more then one. You can’t expect much when the card is stated as NM but you dont get a picture of the actual item, if they do, its not a scan and pictures can be deceiving. That is why I scan all my cards if possible to show any small defects that are hard to spot w/ the naked eye on a phone pic or w/e…

1 Like

PSA 6-7 quality for PSA 9-10 prices :blush:

1 Like

i have purchased from them numerous times and like people here have stated it’s a hit or miss with their “near mint” conditions. luckily i have gotten a few good near mint that i would deem PSA gradeable, though those are few and far in between. i just mostly purchase newer things from them or if they are having a sale on older cards ill try to pick some of them up

For me it’s a nice way to fill my binder. Recently purchased the no logo jungle set so condition is not that important. If you plan on grading just buy graded cards. Although like many said, sometimes you might find a lucky minty!

I have only ever graded one card I bought from them and it got a 9! It was a reverse holo common from crystal guardians. And I believe the only reason it got a 9 was because of a factory print line in the reverse holo portion… so like others have said it’s gonna be completely hit or miss. But from my experience I received a PSA 10 quality card from them. I wish you the same luck!

“Near mint” is all over the place. Really a hit or miss with them.

Hands down the best shop for a english binder collection (at leeast for what i collect, english promo cards). Unmatched for selection, prices are the best you can find for a lot of cards (but for some cards, especially the most played in the game and sought after by collectors, the price is alqyas higher than other sites).

The service and the shipping is very good. Just don’t buy if you’re looking for pristine cards.

1 Like

TNT purchases are pretty good for finishing of set collections, as for trying to psa grade their cards, its hit or miss!

1 Like