Is it normal for a 41 year old...

Chances are your son will think differently when he is older and looking for some juicy nostalgia.

Well that’s awesome to hear!

About posting…post away! It’s healthy and fun! Lol

1 Like

Nothing crazy at all! I am in my mid 30’s and Pokemon brings great enjoyment in my life and I have made some wonderful friends over the years. While I understand that non collectors might think it’s silly I don’t think anyone in the community should have anything to say. Welcome aboard and have fun :blush:

I’d rather be anything but ordinary.

That may or may not be an Avril Lavigne lyric.

I don’t think it’s crazy at all. I’m 39 and started collecting last year. I’ve collected sports cards since I was 7, so moving into Pokemon took some time to figure out my strategy. I focus on the WOTC era and Japanese off brands like Top sun and Carddass. I’d suggest watching smpratte videos to gain some collecting knowedge… these videos really helped me. As far as my wife, she thinks I’m crazy for spending so much money and time on small pieces of cardboard. But, she’s happy to spend my money when I sell an expensive card…My friends all laugh at the fact that I spend a good amount of money on Pokemon cards, but to each their own…good luck!

1 Like

@whiterabbit,

Just show the naysayers this;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRedvXGmYo

3 Likes

Haha, that has been my go-to video for the past 1,5 years to show all the non-believers.

I’ve finally watched the whole german dubbed episode. But german gary can’t beat the original.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to that for me?

2 Likes

“Its all full of Charizards…The #1 pokemon guy” was there a script Gary? Or were you just nervous and thats the best you could come up with at the time? lol

I have the italian one aswell if you are interested, I guess due to copyright reasons I can only find a guy reacting to the italian episode:

1 Like

Seen it several times lol.

It’s funny however that the cards were appraised lower than wanted and they didn’t even sell.

I think it was more promotional than anything.

I still can’t see the German one?

Yeah, it’s not on YouTube, saw it on Amazon Video.

Back in the day it would have been crazy to think that about guys making rap music into their 30’s because it was dominated by people in their early 20’s. Tupac and Biggie made music for years and died at age 25 and 24. Flash to 2019 and we have Eminem still making music at 46 and Snoop Dogg at 47.

Point being that as hobbies and interest mature, people don’t stop liking something just because they are getting older.

Baseball cards were designed for children and you could find them in places such as cracker jacks and in hot dog wrappers at baseball games. Flash forward 40 years and all those ‘kids’ are in their 50’s and 60’s and still enjoy those same cards. Nobody’s going to tell you a Mickie Mantle is a kids card, because it no longer is.

Enjoy what you like and do what makes you happy. Lots of people here are married with children , have careers and enjoy playing and collecting Pokemon and Magic the Gathering (myself included). You won’t find many 10 years olds with PSA graded 1st Edition Base set cards or BGS Alpha’s. People who ‘make fun’ simply don’t understand.

I already made my point, but also look at video games. That started as being labeled only for super nerds and children. Flash forward to 2019 and 23% of players are over 50.
www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players-since-2010/

4 Likes

@majomaal , @KingPokemon is the oldest old guy we know in the community. There might be older old guys, but he’s the oldest guy that we know of… He’s also a favorite among the oldest of Pokemon “old guy” sages.

How’d I do Gary?:wink:

I love you brother;)

Likewise brother. A little belated but it’s the thought that counts right? :blush:

1 Like

That is close to the age I was when started collecting almost 20 years ago.

Kids these days, right @garyis2000

You’re right Nebraska:)

1 Like