Investing in vintage vs modern

Put the charts and technical analysis aside. You can make money off modern by doing the following:

1. Buy sealed product as close to msrp as possible.
  2. Hold it for 10-20 years.
  3. Sell it at a large profit to the generation of kids that are between 4-9 years old today who have no idea what money or investing is and grew up with a love of pokemon.

Sound familiar? 99% of people can’t do steps 1 & 2 combined. But with hindsight 99% of people say they could have done step 3.

It’s pretty simple. When eevee heroes was first announced, who expected mooonbreon to happen? How many people accurately and confidently said it would be where it is exactly right now?

Position, don’t predict.

1 Like

Put the charts and technical analysis aside. You can make money off modern by doing the following:

1. Buy sealed product as close to msrp as possible.
  2. Hold it for 10-20 years.
  3. Sell it at a large profit to the generation of kids that are between 4-9 years old today who have >no idea what money or investing is and grew up with a love of pokemon.

But how do you know this will work? The fact that it worked in the past is not a valid rationale.

3 Likes

I think risk is an interesting topic as well. Is it a universal idea, or can it be different depending on the person or thing? How do you define risk and if one’s level of risk is less or more than another’s, is the level of reward less or more? To clarify what I mean, if we both buy the same item, are we both incurring the same level of risk? Is it relative to each person, or inherent of that thing? If risk is more individual, it abstracts the idea significantly, in my opinion. In that sense, everything can be a risk and any reward is subject to one’s perception of it.

I think many people fail to consider that the growth their anticipating has already been factored in. Anticipation of what will be impacts what is and by extension, what will be, given what has changed now. When you change the organic conditions that allowed a previous event to happen, the following event will be different-- the conditions have changed. We cannot put the $$ back in the box lol. That’s not to say things won’t grow, but it likely won’t be the same. Or maybe these variables won’t matter and there’s another that isn’t considered here. We’ll just have to wait and see!

My brain rly started doing jumping jacks for this one lol

1 Like

Risk and risk management is definitely a broad subject with lots of different viewpoints and variables in finance. I would say that with more risk comes more potential reward, but also potential downfall, which is why I feel you really need to know as many things as possible about what you’re buying if you’re after something new or with limited data to work with (i.e. something niche, obscure, etc).

I honestly don’t know if Pokemon is at a level where one can truly make a ‘calculated’ risk on any one card because the value of so many inherently comes down to what we as individuals are willing to pay or value these cards at, combined with the interest we have in the card. They’re not like a stock or business that has a financial statement tied to everything they do in terms of income, expense, liabilities, etc where investors can model the data and calculate risk more accurately so to speak.

So for me personally, I don’t really look at the upside of what an investment can do (since I’ll never for sure), but more so I look at the potential downside risk or how much that investment can fall. To give an example, I recently added to one of my long-term stock holdings I’ve had since 2014. Since 2010, it has only had 6 times when it has dropped more than 25% from its high. On every other year or month, it either went up in price or it trended in a neutral/sideways direction.

So for me, I’m comfortable buying more of it now because over the span of 10+ years, there’s only been 5 other similar buying opportunities, and after 6-12 months (or less), the 25% discount got bought up or the stock went higher than ever after.

Could it fall lower? Definitely. Could it stay sideways? It could. But I’m willing to accept that it’s at a more fair value relative to the historical trend, and it’s a historically rare opportunity that only lasts for a short time. At the same time, I’m not going ‘all in’. Given the circumstances, I’m willing to be patient for now.

A Pokemon example I can provide is that I bought a bundle of NM/pack fresh 1st Ed Base Set cards recently. They’re ungraded, and I got a good deal on them. I personally just don’t feel that in 5 or 10 years they’re ever going to be worth much less than I paid, if at all. At the very least, I’d probably break even, or make a small return if I ever decided to sell them. I feel this way because of how popular Base Set is to a lot of collectors, and the fact that it’s such an optimized set in many ways.

On the other hand, there are a lot of other cards that I just don’t know enough about or would feel as good about buying. I just don’t have the time or knowledge in the hobby to say ‘that’s a good potential risk’, especially with things like Japanese cards or unique promo cards and similar offerings. A lot of those are out of my comfort zone, but for people who have the knowledge or experience would consider a lot of these ‘low risk’ or ‘medium risk’ compared to my ‘high risk’.

tl;dr - People measure risk in a variety of ways. Levels of risk will vary from each individual and for me personally it comes down to knowledge more than anything else. The more you know about it, I feel the higher your odds are for success. We as individuals can only reduce our risk so much, and without it, there’s no reward either.

3 Likes

To further add to my post above, smpratte put out a really good video that has very little views that came up in my feed a few weeks back that to me is relevant to the topic of risk. If you sort of just accept the probabilities/risks and not even worry about it, you are probably just as well off as anyone who even attempts to mitigate risk. Confidence and interest is a huge thing in this hobby and other collectibles. It takes time, and you can’t give up on it easily. You’re not going to win every time.

4 Likes

Can we evaluate risk simply by calculating or estimating the potential loss? Then, one’s risk appetite would be something different, and unique for each person.

1 Like

I feel like the most basic and obvious answer to shiny cardboard investing is to buy products/sets that people legitimately enjoy opening, simple as that. That has always worked for Pokémon and I don’t really see how it would stop working moving forward, even if 20% of total cards were printed last year. Granted, I do think it is wise to not put all your eggs in the SWSH basket.

Another thing to note is that a lot of SWSH era is being discounted right now and put into products that sit on shelves and eventually get marked down 20%. Maybe that means something negative, maybe something positive. Dunno, im not a financial expert

4 Likes

Well, they printed a metric crap ton of it in later sets, right?