Instagram Folks Aren't Your Friends and Family

Just like anything this discussion isn’t black or white. As a buyer I of course would prefer to pay G&S most of the time. As a seller I prefer to take F&F. I feel like PayPal buyer protection is abused in some cases, and certainly has been abused against me in the past.

I have had someone force a return then send me pack an empty envelope. I lost out on $70 and tons of time fighting with PayPal about it until I gave up.

At the end of the day it is about integrity. I know I have it, but am very hesitant to trust other people to have it as well.

Damn so sorry to hear that man. This kind of shit that hurts real collectors and puts money in the pockets of straight pieces of shit. I swear if I had to change careers I’d just track down scammers for a living.

I know where this kid works and goes to school after doing some stalking, so if anyone in Arkansas wants to rough up some punk for me I’ll give you a cut of the recoveries lol. Anyway I’ve derailed this thread enough…

What’s instagram?

11 Likes

It is the Myspace of Pokemon.

4 Likes

How bout this one: “…buyer and seller split fees and shipping cost…”
Can we please just figure it into the price and cut the BS.

1 Like

What’s Myspace?

5 Likes

I do some selling outside of Ebay and am amazed at how often first time customers who don’t know me will send F&F payment without even being asked, up to a few hundred dollars sometimes, they’re lucky I’m an honourable person but they’re not always going to be so fortunate!

Lol

Yup. That’s true.
I never bought anything from instagram but on fb they literally count every single cent. I got so mad when i’ve seen this “policy”.
I buy there sometimes when there is something nice but not so valuable.

I needed cheap cards to complete some set and it’s been useful.
The first time i bought on fb was from a guy, 10 cards and the total amount was a bit less than 50 Euro. After we found a deal there it is: the famous Paypal fee.
The fee was Euro 1,60 (2 espresso in here :neutral_face: )

Well, when i explained that the buyer wouldn’t have to carry paypal fees and asking F&F in our first deal was just a little tiny exceeding, he said that he didn’t care about this :neutral_face:

After few days he contacted me and we agreed to 36,71…

I could not agree more with NEVER paying strangers F&F to save a few percent. Especially randos on instagram. I mean COME ON MAN.

I have been a bit surprised several times to receive the trust of others though for $1,000+ done through friends and family. I’m just rarely one to do it myself. I think I have approached the $1,000 range for F&F payments a couple times but that was only with people who I’ve done thousands and thousands in business with and even then I feel like I should be paying paypal their 2.9% + 30 cents as it’s their service I am using and that is their terms. It is theft of services to avoid their fees in that way. I guess it comes down to whether or not you are the person who will hand back that extra $20 bill the local pizza place gives you in your change or just pocket it and walk away. I guess the local shop more people would tend to give it back but less to say Wal-Mart who is a big bad company like Paypal so people don’t mind as much stealing from them.

I still don’t think I’ll ever fully understand it. Maybe it just comes down to how the individual brings it up. I mean sure if they bring it up in an asshole way I wouldn’t typically want to do business with an asshole, but if up front they are saying there is one price for G&S and one price for F&F I don’t have an issue with that personally. Yeah I get it is a bit petty from the seller to advertise something as for sale for $100 and then say some new price when the buyer very reasonably wants to use an invoice, but still its all a bit silly if you would have paid $103.20 had it been advertised.

Many of my biggest F&F deals were originally negotiated as G&S payments and then the buyer asked if I could do a bit better through F&F. Why is that okay, but then a seller saying $X F&F $(X*1.029+0.30) G&S isn’t fine? Lately I have a few times just said up front just that. E.g. $1,000 G&S and $970 F&F. I guess I am saying it all up front so maybe that is the better part of it? Or am I just as bad?

2 Likes

I think the difference is that you are a proper businessperson whose reputation is priceless to them (because its the reason you get your business) and the idea of scamming someone(which is easy through F&F) wouldn’t even cross your mind.

I worked out a deal with someone the other day to buy a card. When they stated they didn’t have any references from the group I was buying the card in I stated that it was a G&S or it was a deal breaker for me. They wouldn’t do G&S so I cut the deal.

People complain about losing money etc through f+f…you do need to be careful and trust them. However I wouldn’t let this lie…F Paypal…go to the Police and report it. Tell the seller he can either send the card agreed…refund the money…or you will file a Police report and go through the Judicial system.

Lol at the title of the thread…made me laugh!

They are your friend…until they have your money, cards, dignity and soul.

Then you are just another punk messaging for their stuff back.

Be careful! protect yourselves and don’t pay F+F unless you really know the person.

Hey it’s me, your brother, @pokeweed69

5 Likes

I am not sure I have ever completed a sale from start to finish using Instagram, although it has helped facilitate one…once. Additionally, the money was not sent friends and family and everything went smoothly.

Instagram is a weird place. It was never designed for sales and was supposed to be a social way to share pictures. It has since quickly devolved into: people/companies trying to peddle their scam “start-up”, people posting about how “blessed” their life is, people pretending to be faux-financial gurus (I know you are rolling in a '97 civic so stfu about bitcoin economics already), people offering fitness “motivation” and people posting photos of their weed alongside of their Pokemon cards.

Although, I do like Instagram because it offers a way of sharing ones collection in an easier format than say flikr…and you do run into a few cool people.

Lastly, NO I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING AND I DON’T WANT YOUR DAMN BASE SET CHARIZARD.

6 Likes

I know it’s probably not the reason, but in a way it felt like you got sick of being harassed on Instagram that your signature brings up a 404 instagram account page. But I’m just guessing you did not update your signature :wink:

Thats actually pretty fair don’t mind that

I wish I was that clever, but you are right…I did not put in the correct link

1 Like