PayPal Friends & Family Payment

Can people stop asking for friends & family payments? I’ve been dealing with so many different people from all over (USA, Italy, Germany etc.) where I finally think a deal is about to go through until they mention they ONLY accept friends & family. Even if I tell them I’ll cover the PayPal fee they just say no. “People trust me” “I’ve had 10k sent to my before f&f” blah blah blah. Has anyone else been dealing with this a lot lately? Sorry for the rant by the way I just think its ridiculous how supposedly everyone is super trusted with hundreds to thousands of dollars.

4 Likes

Just end the transaction there and proceed with living your life, don’t dwell on it :blush:

20 Likes

Trust me that’s what I’ve been doing but it keeps happening to me over and over now its so frustrating LOL :sob:

1 Like

If they’re not willing to do G+S even with you covering the fees, they’re definitely dodgy and not worth getting frustrated over :blush:

8 Likes

When you are not considering everything then yes it looks dodgy.

Some people think even receiving bankwire is a risk from a seller perspective.

Could imagine a hell lot of people are being scared selling items via G&S / eBay because of potentially being scammed.
I’m hearing scams all over these days and literally nothing protecting the seller.

I have been doing a handfull of five figures deals paying with bankwire / F&F with no problem. They didn’t scam me lol.

dodgy or uneducated, take your pick.

2 Likes

Or honest seller Who doesn’t want to get scammed.
That people in this forum can be blindsided and say that there is only one possibility which is the seller os a scammer.umbelieveble.

I understand you need to be precautious as a buyer. I am myself. But no reason to call out everyone Who doesn’t do GS

1 Like

that’s 2 possibilities champ

2 Likes

I´m definitely an advocate for doing your due dilligence before buying something from someone. That being said, some sellers have such a good reputation that I´d rather bankwire them 10k than send 100$ GS to someone I´ve never seen/dealt with before.
Scamming someone out of thousands of dollars is a serious crime, doesn´t matter if you paid GS or FF, it should not be taken lightly.

Edit: The only time I was ever scammed was me paying goods and services on ebay - buying from a 10 feedback seller.

1 Like

Either way my point still stands.

Where is the legal recourse if you send someone $10,000 f&f and they don’t send you anything? Crime or not, the “seller” can say my buddy shadowless is such a good friend he sent me $10,000 as a gift. What is the recourse?

That’s confirmation bias. It only takes 1 person to scam you, and suddenly you’re out five figures without any protection.

7 Likes

The problem is the market for any one particular card, especially something graded, is often pretty scarce. When there are 5 buyers and one seller, all the power is in the hands of the seller which gives rise to this culture of buyers competing with each other. So to win, buyers compromise their own protection. This is why “f&f or you pay fees” exists. If you have 2 buyers and one offers g&s and the other offers f&f, who will you sell to? For any seller that does not value being a professional business, it’s just not rational to use g&s when an equal f&f payment is offered.

That all being said, I heard some murmuring from ig (so I don’t know how true this is) that g&s might not even offer protection on collectibles anymore. If so, fighting for g&s might just be fighting to pay extra fees with no benefit. If someone knows more on this PayPal thing I’d like to hear it

1 Like

Just respect their stance on the issue and move on. As a seller I generally try not worry about the 1/100 People that are going to scam me, but some have had worse luck/experiences than others.

I posted a thread on this here on efour. G&S is still offering protection on collectibles, for individuals. If you are buying cases of booster boxes as an individual and not as a business acct you are no longer protected.

2 Likes

I see. It’s more about removing protection if you obviously aren’t the end consumer.

2 Likes

Of course he can argue like that but for this amount of money a court is involved and as long as I don’t confirm that, it has no value at all. Otherwise I could go around and claim all kinds of things.

So you’re going to try a “their word vs mine” dispute in court? Why would your word have any value?

Have you ever been to court? It would be a serious crime to scam someone out of 10s of thousands of dollar. I´m not sure if you understand the actual seriousness of such a situation - there will be a thorough investigation, lawyers etc. In this case it would be a compensation claim/lawsuit here in Germany, depending on the outcome this will get you straight to prison. And if you ask why my word has any value, why does the other have any value then?

Because you sent F&F on purpose and gave up your rights to buyer protection to save a measly 3%