In The Good Old Days I Paid...

$23 & $25 for tins with 4 EX Series Booster Packs (Power Keepers x2, Delta Species, Dragon Frontiers)

$35 for mint condition Alakazam Gold Star (ended up graded a PSA 9)

$38 for mint condition Kyogre Gold Star (also ended up a PSA 9)

Post items you got for crazy prices compared to today’s market!

16 Likes

If anyone wants to guess the year I got these, that might be a fun game too :wink:

$90

$63

7 Likes

Bought thousands, maybe even 10K EX series booster packs from 2012-2013 for $2-5/pack. Sadly, I opened them all… Ended up pulling 22/27 unique gold stars and duplicates of Pikachu, Mewtwo, Mew, Regirock, Vaporeon, and Flareon. Hills Wholesale used to have cases of the Flygon/Typhlosion value packs for $150; damn near bought them out. Also remember the EX Series Showcase/Showdown 3-packs at Rite Aid for $10. Sometimes I have to go back and look at what I pulled to prove to myself that it wasn’t all a dream…

8 Likes

I was a kid when the EX Series was out, I remember saving up my money to go down to the hobby store and buy a pack of Power Keepers from the dusty booster box they had on display…if only I had the money to buy more packs!!

1 Like

I feel your pain. I still remember 2003: 13 years old walking into my local KB Toys past an open box of Skyridge chilling on the counter at $2.99/pack to buy some Yu-Gi-Oh! packs with my birthday money. Fast forward 10 years: Picked up a Skyridge box online for $500 as part of a 500 old school pack opening I had planned for that Christmas. Once in a lifetime experience that was…

1 Like

I bought a Chinese 1st Edition base set for under $100

4 Likes

I bought a 1st Ed LOB Box for 900.00. He threw in a base Unl pokemon set for free. All were unlimited except the Charizard was 1st Ed and it graded a 9:)

5 Likes

“In the good old days I paid…” Under $200 for every booster box I bought. Some of which include…

I always like to note that I pulled crystal charizard from the skyridge box, and it’s worth more now than what I paid for the box back 7 years ago… Haha, It was a much simpler time. A time when you could justify opening any box because the price wasn’t so bad. A few others I did were dragon frontiers and delta species. My first two. Unfortunately, 12 year old me tossed the empty boxes like they were straight trash… :sweat:

– Joe

6 Likes

€25 for the complete WotC Black Star Promo series… the good ‘old’ days…

1 Like

I paid $35 for a reverse holo Crystal Charizard back in 2011. Buuuut I guess it doesn’t matter because I never received the card and the seller refunded me :confused:

4 Likes

Red Logo Fossil Box: 115 AU (Copyright dates weren’t a ‘thing’ then)
1st Edition Team Rocket Box: 215 AU
Base Set Unlimited Box: 500 AU
Skyridge Box: 350 AU
Crystal Guardians Box: 250 AU
Fire Red Leaf Green Box: 550 AU
1st edition Gym Challenge Box: 250 AU
3x EX Power Keepers Boxes: 150 AU each (sold one to @salmoncannon and a beautiful romance was born)
Base Set 2 Box: 350 AU

I opened them all because I am an idiot.

Pretty much all my PSA 10 Shinings and English Crystal Cards I bought for between 30 and 100 dollars raw before grading them, so I have done very well in that respect.

Complete Gem Mint sets for the following sets are 150 AU each:

FRLG
Crystal Guardians
Hidden Legends
Skyridge
Dragon Frontiers
Delta Species
Unseen Forces

I graded all the ex/gold star/secret rare cards from those sets and like 88% of the cards came back as 10s. I kinda lament that I sold most of them off because of how a lot of them are doing now, but I still made a TONNE from them.

4 Likes

Went on a trip to taiwan 2016. Walked passed a store that sold toys and card games in this small alley way . Everyone inside was crazy about force of will. Saw couple of Pokemon booster boxes collecting dust at the top. Were English as well.
Ended up getting all the following for less than $100USD which translates to 3500-4000 TWD

23 ex collector tins (the one with decoys speed and rayquaza)
4 ex unseen forces booster box English
2 ex rocket returns booster box English
4 ex legend makers booster box English
3 ex Deoxys booster box English
25-30 loose packs of ex deoxys
2 boxes of 1st ed Chinese base set
Half of a 1st ed base set Booster box
8 Chinese brush fire starter deck
Total 12 English starter decks (zap, overgrowth, brushfire) opened 2, both were shadowless so I think the remaining are also shadowless

Can confirm all were legit official products as I opened half of what I got and graded them already

12 Likes

16 Likes

I always only buy singles from my brother when I was younger because he always has better cards than me. My biggest purchase from him was a pack fresh Latias Gold star he pulled from ONE pack back in 2005 when EX Deoxys was first released. He paid roughly $3.50 for a pack while I paid him roughly $28 for it.

1 Like

I guess you could say
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
Taiwan #1

1 Like

Yep. The person who owned the store told us that Pokémon cards apparently phased out in taiwan 10 years ago and no one wants them.

14 Likes

It’s a race! We are going again on the 24th

@dreamgirl1959 - I better start swimming.

1 Like

Use Google Maps as your navigation. Maybe you’re lucky and it suggest you to get a jet-ski or powerboat to hop between Indonesian islands =P

1 Like