Idk why Pokemon youtubers aren't doing something different

In the defense of the Poketubers, what more is there really to do besides pack breaks when you’re catering to the casual/younger/entertainment-focused audience? Like some have mentioned Pokerev’s target audience probably isn’t exactly interested in a deep dives or market recaps. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

1 Like

I buy into Rusty’s vintage box breaks once in a blue moon. I know I will probably lose money on it but it’s fun to just goof around and buy something other than graded cards once in a while :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just a note, but Youtube adjusted the algo a while back to push everyone evenly instead of just large tubers. This results in more views overall. Gary Vee is massive, but now his videos don’t get many views because most aren’t very interesting. I like GV, and you can see him trying to do different tactics for views again.

I personally agree with Scott, as the audience gets what it wants. “People” are saying enough is enough, but that has to be your group. An algo is meant to keep you watching the screen… that’s it.

I am not someone who enjoys pack openings, but no shade towards those who do. Just a different group. If you want to find other niches, just type it in the search bar :blush:

3 Likes

Anybody have an recommendations for small channels (under 2000 subscribers) that produce top-tier card appreciation content (preferably vintage)? I’d like to highlight some of these channels in a future video of my own . . . not to mention, I’m always looking to consume this type of content myself!

5 Likes

I recently found Ruby Retro and really enjoyed the history of the card game and usable meta. Content felt very unique to me.

I have also been playing the translated rom of TCG2 on gameboy and enjoyed making some of those meta decks in game.

5 Likes

There’s lots of great stuff other than opennings and product reviews!
I and Saturninebear specifically do videos on arita, and we and many more do collection and art videos. Of course I’ll toot my own horn, but for this guy: https://www.youtube.com/@saturninebear Saturnine’s voice is chill and relaxing, and he’s very passionate about it, and in my videos I just chill and evaluate the art, but this model isn’t necessarily that attractive to many people.

Others, for example, do history of the TCG, but let’s face it, History of most anything isn’t sexy for most people, otherwise, we’d all know the history of politics and international events better.

It also may be that while you don’t find the common stuff interesting, you still give the algorithm the sense that it is what you want to see (such as hovering over the video thumbnails, or not scrolling past the initial returns right away. Figured I’d make that suggestion since it’s a response to your question. I never, and I mean NEVER get alerts about pack openings anymore, except for Rusty, and no offense to him, but I don’t watch those videos.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!

I don’t exactly know when but I think after 2018-2019 when he stopped producing his daily Vee content, he just started building a library data base instead because he got so many more views in Tiktok and Instagram so YouTube wasn’t even a need—just kind of a cloud storage platform.

I watch his stuff very occasionally now, but that man was pivotal for my life hahahah

1 Like