How do you ship / sell expensive pokemon cards?

Here’s some more answers regarding shipping and customs from a high end magic group on facebook regarding a 22k card. I thought it was relevant and some of the people answering are very experience sellers (Jim Bruso was troll and toads executive buyer for 7 years and owns gradedpower.com … he’s who I bought a 3500 card off last week).

imgur.com/a/R96P4

3 Likes

i sold my $10k set on ebay. I did US only and made sure I recorded the cards and the quality of the cards and then the packaging and then sealing of the packaging with the do not tamper tape. Then message the buyer to record the opening of the cards. I also insured it the full value with certified mail and signature confirmation.

Wow, 10% insurance cost is absolute robbery. Here in Canada it’s 2.25% I think which is already too high. I think in the US it’s 1% or so?

By the way, you can’t insure for more than the customs declaration. Odd anecdote, last week I shipped a $399.99 card and wanted it insured for $400 and it didn’t let me. I had to set it to exactly $399.99.

It’s a sale to a 0 feedback ebay buyer in the States. Hope all goes well, that’s why I paid out of my pocket for signature, insurance,etc… :blush: It currently shows as Delayed on USPS website.

I showed them the whole email traffic so they saw that the seller did not send out any item.
The CC company is usually on your side if you have some evidence… and if a CC company does not accept a charge, Paypl can‘t do anything

I don’t recommend using registered mail for international shipping. Higher chance of getting scammed due to tracking/signature issues.

Which is why recording whilst packaging and sending it in can be helpful. It’s not for eBay or PayPal. Doing this may be likely to make authoritie side with you and actually do something about it better.

Much appreciated guys, this is very illuminating. Think I have a sense of how to ship them now - the duo option of f&f and fully insured pricing seems transparent and fairest too

What do you mean by fully insured pricing? There’s no way to fully insure and have your buyer avoid customs, unless they’re in the U.S. where they don’t have crazy import fees like the rest of the world.

Yep, basically the buyer will have to accept paying customs as I’ll need to insure the full value of the purchase.

Some buyers maybe willing. I myself have paid customs for 4-figure purchases many many times on ebay…the pain of an international buyer

Flying to US is not feasible either (i live ~22 hours away from New York)

I just shudder at the thought of moving on to bigger cards. a 50k usd card purchase would mean crazy fees north of 5k…maybe I should request my boss to move me to the NY office

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you. Customs in Canada are very high.

I heard some members here say there’s no import fees for individuals in the US. For businesses I think up to $2000 is free as well. Some of the Americans here could correct me if I’m wrong.

At $50k I’m pretty sure you can take a weekend trip to the states to go pick it up. :blush:

1 Like

the issue is it takes me 22 hours to fly to the states and 22 hours to fly back…yeah maybe a vacation next time with purchases lined up -.-!