High value items and international shipping

Hey all,

So I’ve done my fair share of shipping cards, but I’ve never sent anything of enormous value, highest value item I’ve ever sent was in the $1k range.

Anyways, I may move something in the future worth 5 figures and the thought of that is giving me some major anxiety lol. Not the sale, but the shipment of the item. I’m just super paranoid of getting scammed or losing the item, etc.

For those of you who have sent high value goods, how would you protect yourself in sending something very expensive international?

Bit of background, I’m in Canada and the potential buyer is in the States.

Thanks!

2 Likes

from the recent high value cards that somehow “vanished”, the best way is probably to hand it over in person, don’t know how much the flights cost in North America but maybe the both of you could meet in some airport.

Personally I ship high value cards with the fastest shipping method but declare them as 5-10$ cards.

1 Like

Auction houses are a great option.

2 Likes

Insurance and high priority (overnight) shipping

1 Like

Fedex 3 day international with signature

4 Likes

Fedex is usually good. full insurance should cover you just fine. it’s worth getting insurance for items in the 4 figures+.

2 Likes

I have sent several high value items internationally using dhl and have had good results every time. Item gets delivered quickly and funds get released. The most important part to not getting scammed is working with a trusted buyer, especially for a high end deal

1 Like

FedEx insurance Can be limited to items like collectibles plus often maxes out at 2000.
You can research that all yourself.

Now, safest way to ship a 10,000 package? Usps 1st class (Not conspicuous…little interest to postal thieves). Use oversized packaging (harder to slip under shirt). Require signature (in case of porch pirates).
This method will give you by far the best chance of receipt.

Edit: if you are a postal thief and are looking at an Insured overnight express box and a 10x12 bubblebathmailer that cost 3.00 to ship, which would you steal?

9 Likes

This is how I’ve been feeling lately. The story of the SSB being stolen still scares me.

Plus Leonhart’s 1st base charizard that he shipped in the “most secure way”:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks all for the info! Really appreciate the responses :blush:

I think my anxiety wouldn’t be so bad if it was under normal circumstances, aka pre-covid. Signature for delivery is something I’m wanting to go with for sure, but from what I’ve experienced here during the last few months (in Canada at least) is that none of the signature options are being done, even if it’s actually paid for by the shipper.

Can someone confirm FedEx, for example, is still making people sign before they can receive delivery of a parcel?

Going to remember this. I just bought a new microwave and still have the box. I also still need to send you that custom coffee mug and I don’t want it to get stolen.:wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure about FedEx, but I have had 2 USPS packages delivered to me “with signature confirmation” in the last month, and both were left in my mail box without so much as a knock at the door.

1 Like

I’ve never used this before but perhaps USPS Registered Mail International is the way to go: faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Registered-Mail-International

To be fair, USPS doesn‘t have a good reputation with packages. They have lost and damaged many packages before. I used USPS several times and twice the packages traveled around the US for 2.5 weeks!!! before arriving at PSA. For me Usps is an absolute no-go for high value items. Also, couriers such as UPS have GPS trackers in their delivery cars.

1 Like

Well you’ve probably shipped more than me but out of my 10,000s of shipments and hundreds worth thousands of dollars I’ve lost approximately ZERO using my system. I never paid a nickel in insurance unless paid for and requested by the buyer. The only exception has been if registered. I am soooo many thousands of dollars in the black in saved insurance that I can afford a few losses but will probably never get one;)

I have not sent many packages so even worse if I had issues with my rather small sample. For the cards I have been sending I can‘t afford „a few losses“ because the cards are impossible to find again so it‘s not so much about the money.
Maybe you were very lucky with your shipments, also USPS might be more acceptable within the US. I guess there is a reason why companies use UPS, Fedex etc for sending certain expensive items/products around the world.

1 Like

I can confirm Fedex still makes people sign. I missed a delivery last week and had to wait for them to bring it by the next business day because I wasn’t there to sign for it.

1 Like

I’ll be able to confirm tommorow expecting a FedEx shipment from the us to Canada. On the phone they seemed like they weren’t gonna require a signature when I paid for customs charges.

For high end items from Canada to the US i would recommend Fed ex I sent to Ludkins and there cheapest and slowest service was $20 for 3 day but could overnight it 1 day for $90cdn.

On a 5 figure item could always overnight it.

1 Like

Perfect!! Please let me know how the delivery went :blush: