How do YOU collect/invest?

I buy cards what I really like, for example cards of my favorite Pokemon and cards with artwork that I adore. I buy japanese mainly as I like the Japanese card quality and think the Japanese cards look slightly better in general. I still buy some packs of English sets when they release too, though. I don’t really invest in anything like buying sealed product to keep it sealed and sell in a few years, but I do sell some cards that I don’t need to get the ones that I want :blush:

Personally, I don’t see it as investing. For me it’s pure collecting fun. BUT when I see a card that I like AND I see potential (in that card) then I’m buying two of them.

I just started with the nostalgia of the base set, after that I started buying cards from sets that had awsome looking cards in them.
Now I just collect cards or sealed product that appeal to me ( artwork, favorite pokemons, etc)

The funny thing is that when I started my collection again I said to myself that I wouldn’t be collecting japanese product/cards, because I didn’t liked it that I couldn’t read them. But now that totally changed, now I actually love Japanese cards :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it is. But, as you say you only can invest with ‘free money’. Cannot invest with money that is meant to pay the rent. While buying 20€ worth of cards every month is doable (it’s cheaper than smoking) dropping 100-150€ a month to buy a booster box of Evolutions just to park it isn’t.

I don’t really invest so much as I just enjoy the product for what it is. I personally collect Mew cards primarily, as most folks on the forum know. Occasionally I pick up a set (such as CP3, CP5 and CP6) when I feel like it, but otherwise I just enjoy it for what it is. ^^

1 Like

True, you have to be away of what you are spending and investing.No point buying a 100 pound/dollar boster box to sit on it for 5-10years when you can use that money to invest insomething else that has a better roi in a shorter time.the new product investments doesnt seem worth it atm unless you have that financial strength to drop large sums on certain english new releases that have a potential way down the road.

EDIT: Abra ???Uri who?? Alakazam? :wink:

1 Like

That’s why you don’t buy 20€ worth of cards and save up for bigger things. Not saying that evolutions is necessarily worth picking up, just using it as an example that there’s potential for newer sets. Look at the Plasma sets.

If the hobby gains momentum and Pokemon gets another push retrospectively current print runs might look small compared to the future of the game.

They need to release a set with a line of cards which can only be pulled every 2-4 cases to make boxes worth sitting on at this rate.

But if TPCi does this then EVERYONE would buy a lot of them, either to get the chase card(s) or to invest their money in them hoping that they would go up in price in the future. As a result, price would only go up gradually after print run stops. VERY GRADUALLY.

It’s not about buying 20€ of cards a month. It’s about what are you personally able to have a disposable income and yet still enjoy the hobby. Yes, at this moment I don’t feel comfortable spending 100€ on a single card. But in the past I had no problems with buying 4 cases a month just to get those cards I needed. Different times, different spending, different priorities.

True, but that’s the same for all tcgs though. Idk I just feel like we need something more exclusive in our releases, not even for the investment side of things but as a collector. The SM hyper rares and FA ultra rares look underwhelming.

A 1st ed. print run Scott suggested in one of his videos seems like a decent idea too.

Maybe TPCi could look into supplementary sets with much smaller print runs for a illustrator showcase series? Similar in execution to the best of X&Y.

OMG YES but I doubt we’ll be seeing any of that exclusivity in the Sun&Moon era. Maybe the next era. Hopefully. Exclusivity in Pokemon died with the 1st edition stamp, and more so after the original ex era. The Japanese however are doing a FANTASTIC job at giving collectors the exclusivity they want. Nintendo needs to step up their game.

I love how this thread is being infected by the “make cards obscenely rare” mentality just so people can try and make money. Smh.

The beauty of collecting is the personalisation that you can have with it.

For me, it usually starts with an idea. What type of cards do I want to collect? What set? What is the end goal? What is my budget? What is my
Timeframe?

These questions give me a timeframe and monthly budget to acquire my goal. If the math doesn’t work, I look back into my goals and adjust accordingly.

For me, because I collect graded cards, it’s never about the value of the card, it’s about what memory it will give me. Money is important, but in this hobby it’s incredibly easy to sink more than you can afford and lose sight of the really important things in life.

For me, I don’t think it’s about the chase, it’s about the plan and the cool stories that happen along the journey. The deals, the mishaps and lessons all give me something that everything else in life doesn’t. Forging great friendships with like-minded people. Seeing other kick some amazing goals of their own.

This hobby is priceless.

7 Likes

Ye ha I started just collecting new sets…trying to complete.Its just not feasible and the cost is crazy…I have changed the way I collect to invest at the same time. Older sets look better, have a more nostalgic feel to them and overall look better to me :blush: Im planning on clearing out most of my newer cards, sets, bulk etc and consolidate. I have a list of things Id like to get sealed, psa graded and other. I did get carried away when getting back into pokemon a few years ago…now I look at alot of the bulk…extras etc and thing…yeaa I dont need or want this…id rather sell and purchase the awesome cards on my wants list :stuck_out_tongue: id enjoy them 100000x more than what I was doing.

As you collect, invest and quire knowledge things change and it has definitely happened to me. Ive always collected allsorts but now I want a more consise collection of items I have identified due to their asthetic appeal…nostalgic value or future investment.

excuse the ramble and poor scphelling and gramer but hey ho! Im really loving the hobby again after 15 years and the forum is awesome.thank you everyone :grin:

Its only going to get better as I sell and purchase the just beautiful cards I have on my list next to me…its going to take a while! but so worth it…the feeling when you buy a card and it arrives int he post…or opening packs! Im also going to be psa grading in the immediate future…i bet the excitement of getting them back is amazing aswell …weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Buy what is intrinsically satisfying to you.

Forget this investment side, a true hobbyist or collector is someone who has a passion for what they are picking up, and it’s intrinsically satisfied with their purchases, generally on a nostalgic level. If you start thinking about money always, and investment, and trading… your going to cause yourself alot of headaches, and just being in a hobby for the money… is sad… there is so many people in the scene just in it for the money…

4 Likes

Yup :blush: Well said brah. There are alot of new investors who dont have any interest in the hobby, apart from making money from it.
It is a shame because it can hurt the hobby or genuine collectors and lovers of the hobby may never get certain cards etc because of it.

Regardless, its great to be back into it! Im looking forward to aquiring the cards on my wants list :grin: eventually…though some it may take alot longer than 5+years

1 Like

I buy what makes me happy.

I don’t care about “investing” because things that mean something to me are never sold. The only time that I do end up parting with something is if the chips are down and I am in desparate need for funds. But I would never sell anything valuable that I couldn’t replace. Probably smaller token items.

That being said, I’ve never encountered that problem? I usually buy things on impulse that I end up flipping. That’s my biggest issue lol

1 Like

Well, the people who are in it just for the money aren’t going to last anyway because they don’t have the knowledge or the passion to consistently remain engaged in the hobby.

Personally, I am investing in the hobby because I love it, and I don’t see anything wrong with that. What better way to start a business than with something you love?

The people who are just in this to make a quick buck simply don’t have the drive or the overall connection to Pokemon to seriously succeed.

For example, I know there is a whole lot of money involved in MTG, but I would never even think of investing in it because, to be perfectly blunt, I just don’t care about MTG or have any genuine interest in it.

Pokemon, on the other hand…that’s a different story.

For me, there is nothing like finding an awesome card for a great deal knowing that you can either buy it and hold it as a keepsake or flip it for a profit down the line. It’s a win-win situation. I’m either keeping a great product or investing in something I love.

2 Likes

I tend to focus on sets I really like.

The first set that I encountered when I came back to the hobby was Evolutions. I love it. I have a complete Japanese and English set of it, all pulled booster fresh. I’m doing the same now with SM3 because I really like the cards in it.

Because I open a lot of boosters I document and re-sell the doubles, and put that money back into my collection!

1 Like

I guess I’m in it for the nostalgia and new art when I come across a beautiful card, I’m also a completionist. Ive got to fill every empty spot in every set.

I collect evrything from base to E series, English and japanese, Chinese and korean wotc and also every japanese promo from that era or earlier and also sealed product.

Still trying to get ahold of a korean base set :grin:

The art work and history of the hobby is a big part of it but seeing an empty space in my binder where I’ve allocated a card is the crack that keeps it going lol.

Heres my current collection, it may be 30 pages, but it’s filled with detailed descriptions, it’s my “bible” :blush:
www.docdroid.net/vUOHdZ5/pokemon-card-collection-updated-16-07-2017-2.pdf

2 Likes

Usually if everyone thinks it’s a good investment, then everyone is going to sit on something and it might not be a good investment… I think most people on this forum mostly collect WOTC stuff, and yet we have a product with cards we all actually have an interest in :tada:. Just get the shinings which won’t be expensive, because you like the cards. If you want to invest go buy more WOTC PSA cards.

(edit: thought the comments were talking about the shining set coming out, but it was just general “invest vs collect”) Nothing wrong with treating cards like an investment, but I agree with those saying investing should be “I have a good amount of money I’m doing nothing with”. Pokemon likely is THE collectible to invest in, but it’s still a collectible and collectibles tend to be terrible investments. Pokemon may be the exception, but your livelyhood shouldn’t revolve around pokemon investing.