Hooray, more import taxes to pay!

tulli.fi/en/-/all-web-store-purchases-delivered-from-outside-the-eu-must-be-cleared-through-customs-as-of-july
Yesterday I noticed this press release from Finnish customs, starting from 1st of July 2021 we have to pay import taxes for all parcels coming outside EU. So far the limit has been 22 euros so this change makes sure it doesn’t make sense to order any small purchases in future ( especially since we’ve had 2,90 euro handling fee per parcel for couple years ).
Tagging all other Finnish users because I want to hear your thoughts about this.
@xzini @ansirfi @maggara @ayoveer @emba @joponnes

Also quick question to other European collectors, is anyone of your countries planning similar changes currently like this one?

@nauticads wait. That means up to now you didn’t have to pay import tax for parcels coming from outside of the EU?

1 Like

Well… I can’t find anything positive out of this, and if I understand correctly there also will be coming some changes inside the EU free trade market area aswell.
( prepair to pay vat once buying from Ebay etc. )

2 Likes

@ripguyfawkes
If the total value including shipping is 22 euros ( merchandise ) or 45 euros ( gifts ) then there’s no taxes to pay.

1 Like

No import taxes for a purchare under 22€/25usd anything worth/ declared more will be +VAT 24% + possible customs duties

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda see that the hidden message here is support your local business since covid has put every small business owner to their knees but what I dont like here is that this makes our hobby so much more expensive and annoying to deal since biggest markets are North America and Japan. Soon Finnish collectors are going to use european middlemen to avoid customs etc :grin:

1 Like

Yeah so basically we will pay taxes no matter what the value is… Starting July you can’t avoid import taxes at all. Fml!

Most of my card purchases are from US and Japan anyway because most of the time I can’t find what I want from Europe.

God dammit :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Well I’m from the UK, we no longer part of the EU so import charges have increased, even before the threshold was stupidly low. For Japan orders especially, i ask them to mark value to around $20USD. It’s a risk I’m willing to take but so far, it’s been FedEx who been delivering those so I’ve been fine. At one point the most I’ve had on a £1500 order from Japan is £15.

1 Like

@ayoveer
First and only positive thing I can find from this change is that the amount of cheap China etc. purchases will go down, those have been genuine issue clogging the mail system as long I can remember. I just hope these are the only changes for now, I fear @ansirfi might be right with his comment.
@xzini
Same here, time to put pedal to the metal with remaining single card purchases and after July it’s just better to focus on bigger shipments only. :blush:
@dipzy
It’s really unfortunate we aren’t part of same customs union anymore, when I re-started this hobby UK was definitely one of the favourite countries to deal with.

2 Likes

Netherlands: no import taxes for purchases under €22, 21% VAT for purchases valued between €22 and €150, 25% import taxes for every purchase exceeding €150. There are multiple cards for sale in the US that I would to like to buy, but it is simply not worth it due to shipping and taxes I’ll have to pay :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

In my country, we have no import taxes for purchases under 75$ and VAT when over 200$ if I’m not mistaken.

I personally use a service (no plugging, ask in DM if you want) to hold the cards, slabs, or sealed product in the US and then ship it with a lower customs value declared. I know it’s borderline illegal but meh I’d never pay ~500$ tax\import for a card.

1 Like

You forgot the standard €13 clearance cost for every purchase above €22. Thx Brexit :wink: @dipzy

2 Likes

Basically the same as in Germany. It sucks, but seeing that others have it even worse makes me feel a bit better about my situation :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I have known about this change for a while, it was actually supposed to happen earlier but was postponed. It will definitely make purchasing cheap things outside of EU way more of a hassle than before, but for more expensive packages which are marked as low value won’t be a problem if you’re not looking to pay import taxes and are willing to take the small risk, you will just have to pay the small amount of taxes instead of it being completely free to import like before.

(this is my personal opinion and I’m not recommending anyone to commit any kind of tax frauds :wink: )

1 Like

@ayoveer i guess this is it but for this hobby it feels like just bullying since the local market (because there basically is none) isn’t competing with international markets. A lot of my collectables have been really niche so this hits me extra hard with my frequently bought cheap random items from japan. I hope it’ll at least cut down the trash purchases from china but i feel like it’ll first jam the whole customs and post office system until the change settles, and if that happens i also fear that may lead in more lost packages which already is somewhat alarming in finland.

2 Likes

Yeah I know this feels unfair because it hits so close to our near and dear hobby and in my opinion this was not something I wanted but it has happened before and I have a feeling that this might be EU wide change. What bums the most out of me is that now I have to really think hard what cards and were I buy them to save most amount of money.

And when I said support your local business I didnt mean pokemon but everything in general. I havent personally seen almoast anything interesting in Finnish marketplaces unless you’re into modern, not like there’s anything wrong about that I’m just personally more into older Japanese cards.

3 Likes

I think besides those china trash purchases this may be targeted towards for example clothes. They may be something that people order online a lot since they are cheap in eastern countries and have also big domestic market here to compete with

2 Likes

Modernising VAT for cross-border e-commerce
Latest news
On 30 September 2020, the Commission published Explanatory Notes on the new VAT e-commerce rulesSearch for available translations of the preceding link•••. They contain extensive explanations and clarifications on these new rules including practical examples on how to apply the rules if you are a supplier or an electronic interface (e.g. marketplace, platform) involved in e-commerce transactions. These explanatory notes are meant to help online businesses and in particular SMEs to understand their VAT obligations arising from cross-border supplies to consumers in the EU.

These Explanatory Notes are now available in all official EU languages, as well as in Chinese and Japanese. The Explanatory Notes will be accompanied by the update of the Guide to the One Stop Shop. The Guidance for Member States and Trade concerning the importation and exportation of low value consignments is published too.

Due to the practical difficulties created by the measures taken to contain the coronavirus pandemic, the application of the new VAT e-commerce rules is postponed by six months. Thus, the rules will apply as of 1 July 2021 instead of 1 January 2021, giving Member States and businesses additional time to prepare.

The European Commission aims at simplifying VAT obligations for companies carrying out cross-border sales of goods or services (mainly online) to final consumers and to ensure that VAT on such supplies is paid correctly to the Member State in which the supply takes place, in line with the principle of taxation in the Member State of destination.

The Commission proposed EU legislation in this area in two stages. The first measures entered into force in 2015 and covered telecommunications, broadcasting and electronic services to consumers. The second package of measures was adopted by the Council in December 2017 and extended the simplification to distance sales of goods as well as to any type of cross-border service supplied to final customers taking place in the EU. The latter measures, also referred to as ‘the VAT e-commerce package’ are set to apply from 1 July 2021.

1. Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS)
    Since 2015, a simplified system is in place to declare and pay VAT on business-to-consumer (B2C) supplies of telecommunications, broadcasting and electronic (TBE) services in the EU. Detailed information on the functioning of MOSS is available on the MOSS portal.

2. The VAT e-commerce package
    The VAT e-commerce package was one of the priorities under the Digital Single Market Strategy.

On 5 December 2017, the Council adopted the VAT e-commerce package consisting of:

Council Directive (EU) 2017/2455
Council Regulation (EU) 2017/2454
Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2017/2459
On 21 November 2019, the Council adopted the implementing measures for VAT e-commerce package consisting of:

Council Directive (EU) 2019/1995
Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/2026
On 12 February 2020, the Commission adopted the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/194 laying down details on the working of the VAT One Stop Shop.

Due to the practical difficulties created by the measures taken to contain the coronavirus pandemic, the following acts were adopted postponing the application of the VAT e-commerce package to 1 July 2021:

Council Decision (EU) 2020/1109
Council Regulation (EU) 2020/1108
Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1112
Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1318
Read the Press Release
Q&A on VAT for e-commerce
Commission Proposal COM(2016)757
Commission Proposal COM(2018) 819
Commission Proposal COM(2018) 821
Impact Assessment
Overview of the package
The VAT e-commerce package will facilitate cross-border trade, combat VAT fraud and ensure fair competition for EU businesses. The new rules include:

Improvements of the current MOSS
Special provisions applicable to supplies of goods facilitated by electronic interfaces
Extension of the scope of the MOSS, turning it into a One Stop Shop (OSS), to:
B2C supplies of services other than TBE services
Intra-EU distance sales of goods
Certain domestic supplies of goods facilitated by electronic interfaces
Distance sales of goods imported from third territories and third countries in consignments of an intrinsic value of maximum EUR 150
The VAT e-commerce package and implementation calendar
The VAT e-commerce package will be implemented gradually. Below is an overview of the key-dates:

In 2019
(see details on the MOSS portal)

Introduction of two thresholds to simplify VAT obligations for microbusinesses and SMEs. First, an annual turnover threshold of EUR 10 000 for intra-EU cross-border supplies of telecommunications, broadcasting and electronic (TBE) services. Up to EUR 10 000 TBE supplies remain subject to the VAT rules of the Member State of the supplier. Second, an annual turnover threshold of EUR 100 000 up to which the vendor must only keep one piece of evidence (instead of two) to identify the Member State of the customer.
For invoicing, the rules of the EU country of identification of the supplier are now applicable instead of the rules of the Member States of consumption (i.e. of the customer).
Close a gap in the current MOSS: a business not established in the EU but having a VAT registration in the EU (e.g. for occasional transactions) can make use of the non-Union scheme (i.e. the scheme for taxable persons not established in the EU).
Some improvements of the current MOSS entered into force on 1 January 2019, in particular those not having any IT impact.
In 2021
The extension of the MOSS and the special provisions concerning the obligations of electronic interfaces will enter into force on 1 July 2021 as IT systems need to be adapted or developed.

Businesses operating electronic interfaces such as marketplaces or platforms will, in certain situations, be deemed for VAT purposes to be the supplier of goods sold to customers in the EU by companies using the marketplace or platform. Consequently, they will have to collect and pay the VAT on these sales.
Building on the success of the MOSS for TBE services, this concept will be extended and turned into a OSS:
The non-Union scheme for supplies of TBE services by taxable persons not established in the EU will be extended to all types of cross-border services to final consumers in the EU;
The Union scheme for intra-EU supplies of TBE services will be extended to all types of B2C services as well as to intra-EU distance sales of goods and certain domestic supplies facilitated by electronic interfaces. The extension to intra-EU distance sales of goods goes hand in hand with the abolition of the current distance sales threshold, in line with the commitment to apply the destination principle for VAT;
An import scheme will be created covering distance sales of goods imported from third territories or third countries to customers in the EU up to a value of EUR 150.
Unlike today, when the import scheme is used, the seller will charge and collect the VAT at the point of sale to EU customers and declare and pay that VAT globally to the Member State of identification in the IOSS. These goods will then benefit from a VAT exemption upon importation, allowing a fast release at customs.

The introduction of the import scheme goes hand in hand with the abolition of the current VAT exemption for goods in small consignment of a value of up to EUR 22. This is also in line with the commitment to apply the destination principle for VAT.

Where the IOSS is not used, a second simplification mechanism will be available for imports. Import VAT will be collected from customers by the customs declarant (e.g. postal operator, courier firm, customs agents) which will pay it to the customs authorities via a monthly payment.
Who will benefit from this proposal?
Businesses will benefit from a substantial reduction in cross-border VAT compliance costs. This will facilitate greater cross-border trade.
EU businesses will be able to compete on equal footing with non-EU businesses that are not charging VAT.
Member States will gain through an increase in VAT revenues of EUR 7 billion annually.

1 Like

Yes it’s an regulation across the EU and likely will be implemented on the marketplaces right away. (Comparable to the VAT for US Sellers)

Guess us Europeans have to rely now on friends/colleagues who travel internationally and are willing to bring along some purchases in their suitcases :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Australia has the same problem. It’s a big problem but I don’t think we can do any thing about it.