Have you ever considered selling your collection?

I’m 22 and am asking myself this question as I leave college with the idea that the money would make my dreams come true, starting a business or buying land and building a home. Have you ever thought about this for yourself in your own way?

1 Like

I think it’s only natural with how valuable cards are these days but for me, I don’t need the money nor have a 7 figure collection. I very much enjoy my collection and it brings me happiness. At least for me, I would not sacrifice the happiness it brings me to see the money in my bank account increase.

In your case it really depends on what you want out of life. Would you rather have land, business or your collection? You are also young and have lots of time ahead of you to accumulate other assets to help satisfy those aspirations.

2 Likes

The idea has never crossed my mind

25 Likes

I have thought about selling spares or consolidating to a few of my favorite sets but it’s not so much selling for money. It’s more so “do I really need all these cards?”.

That was a glorious auction.

4 Likes

I’ve liquidated my collection three times over in the last 10 years. Then I’ll gradually come back. There are only a couple, relatively low value cards, that I’ll never part with.

Very few people can they truly YOLO’d it in their life.

I looked back at the sold prices and it brought a few tears to my eyes. PWCC bunched those cards up really close.

idk what i would do with the $304.52 that my entire collection would sell for

4 Likes

Yeah I would sell it all. The problem is the first thing I would want to do with the money is to buy it all back :face_with_spiral_eyes:

12 Likes

If you are financially free, more money might not make you happier.

For me, I am constantly buying and selling. I just make sure I don’t make a loss overall.

NEVERRRRRR

1 Like

Collection NO, items that I own but aren’t part of my personal collection Yes.

3 Likes

I struggle to part with things that don’t even fit in my collection. Every time I go to list a card I come up with a reason not to sell which is usually that I might want it more later and regret selling it. Basically collection fomo where I already own the card.

8 Likes

Yea I get that, I am the same for some things. However I have alot of bulk english and japanese ex gx v rares holos sr etc that I either have picked the best out to grade and have some in my collection or short/long term spec pile that I dont need. I am trying to consolidate down alot to try focus on personal collection, cards I want to grade and cards I like/ I can see a future for as specs.

Yes, and I want to right now, but don’t have the money up front to do it. I want to downgrade all my 1st Edition sets to less valuable prints so that I can collect more cards. But all my sets are ungraded, and there’s a lot of them, and I don’t know how to sell them. It’s the only thing stopping me.

I’ve talked to some people about their consignment options but they can’t guarantee a sale price because that start at penny auctions and I am not willing to possibly let my lifelong collection sell for less than I think they’re work. :slightly_frowning_face:

The truth is I love my cards, and I’m proud of the work I did assembling my sets, but the only thing that would make me happier is more cards. So that’s what motivates me.

2 Likes

why not grade them and then you will get a more stable price range? sell and buy cheaper ones. Is that what you mean by not having the money? Otherwise I dont get why you cant sell as it doesnt cost you upfront to sell.

This is correct. I can’t afford the cost of grading right now. Selling some then submitting for grades is really my only option, but it is harder to sell my pride and joy in pieces than it would be to list all at once.

Buying your first home > Pokemon

Set yourself up properly financially and then get all the shiny cardboard you want my friend!

With a house you can leave it and rent it out, sell it if you wish - generally appreciates the same rate per year as Pokemon (discounting last year as it was an outlier in price appreciation)…

…but it’s not a charizard.

10 Likes

There is only one card in my collection I would never sell. Every other card has a price I’d be willing to let it go. Is that price reasonable? No, but there’s a price

I’ve bought and sold many cards, sets and items in this hobby many times over. Mostly in the pursuit of accomplishing other goals. Once those goals were reached, I repurchased the items I had to sell. Some times I could purchase them cheaper, other times I’d have to pay up. For the most part it was worth it. Thats the big decision to make though… are the things you’re chasing in life worth the sacrifice?

Nothing worth while is easy.

1 Like