Has anyone used the PSA Financial Guarantee Service

I am in possession of a PSA 10 card that has a clear indentation to the lower right hand side of the card which would only allow said card to receive at most a PSA 6. I just recently bought this card and I was wondering should I use PSA’s service or return the card? My only concern with returning the card to the original seller is that the seller might resell the card without notifying potential buyers. It’s a 1st edition shining charizard. Feeling very dissappointed right now :cry:

I have used it but it was with top right corner creases that were way more apparent than these indents. They were my own cards that I graded. After a phone call, a few e-mails and returning the cards, PSA graded them properly to PSA 5/6. Then I was returned the new appropriately graded cards and a voucher for the difference in market value. They covered shipping both ways as well. It was about $30-$40 a card at the time and not a very big deal. I don’t know how you would make out with such a valuable card, but it would be interesting to see. An e-mail to them with these photos couldn’t hurt.

1 Like

I got the card off eBay. So they sent you a voucher? Not cash? That’s not really what I was hoping. I will email PSA and see what they can do. Would really want my money back and at the same time fix the grade

If you refuse the vouchers, their terms give them the option of purchasing the card off of you for the current market value. It seems more likely that they would do this if you didn’t take their voucher difference than give you a cash difference. But the terms do leave room for them to remedy the situation in any of the following ways:

-Difference in vouchers
-Difference in cash
-Purchase your card at market value as they determine it

Their terms leave lots of room for interpretation. This is especailly true with how they use the word “value.” By their own terms, they can more or less decide what they’ll pay you and how they’ll do it.

1 Like

Again mine was sub $100 total IIRC. Yours would be $1,000+ which is completely different ballgame. Especially in getting them to re-grade it lower and admit to the mistake.

If I were in your shoes, I would review this link in full. Then I would e-mail PSA the photos you posted, a link to the auction that you won as well as the paypal transaction page showing your payment. They shouldn’t be able to argue market value too much if you have that proof of winning it in a fair auction on eBay. Once you get a response, I would call and talk to a person on the phone, whoever specifically replied to your e-mail and go from there.

1 Like

This is a really shitty situation D: I’m sorry

1 Like

Yeah, please post updates. I’d be interested to see what they do. It really bothers me when they say two people look at it and then they still miss things I can see right away with a sub $30 desk lamp.

1 Like

Maybe contact PSA and ask them what they would suggest.Generally you would return to seller and get a refund…however it leaves it open for other unsuspecting buyers to be conned.

1 Like

I’ve used the service after PSA damaged my cards through encapsulation.

PSA acknowledged the damage and gave me compensation via vouchers. It was a fairly simple process.

1 Like

yeah but I don’t think he wants 600$+ in vouchers. I’m real curious what the hell they are gonna do with such a high dollar card

1 Like

I have written to PSA a fairly sized email saying that I just bought this card and I found out that there is damage. I have also included the eBay link to the card, my PayPal receipt of the purchase, the pictures I have posted and more, and attached some links to some recently sold listings of the card for them to gauge a fair market value of the card. I have also told them I would not want a 4-figure voucher because I could be using that money elsewhere. I paid £1000 for this card, around $1280. I have also contacted the eBay seller and he told me that he bought the card already graded years ago, not sure how long ago as the serial number is quite new, 264xxxxx. Also when I ask for a return, he did not reply me. Out of so many graded cards, why this one? A PSA 10 1st edition shining charizard. Stressful Friday :slightly_frowning_face:

EDIT: it does not help with me being in the UK with time differences.

4 Likes

Well you’ve caught the seller in a lie already I think. A serial # that new (especially since it has the PSA basic hologram on the front) means that it was within the past year or two at most (I forget the date it was implemented). Problem is this guy may have known the issue was there and might have even submitted it multiple times to get PSA’s two graders to miss the indent. With the $$ value difference between a 6 and a 10 on this card many would be willing to gamble a few times. This card really ideally wouldn’t go back to him, because he would just sell it along to someone else probably or go through the process of PSA’s guarantee himself. Since he owned the card in a PSA 10 case he is getting PSA 10 money one way or another unfortunately. Should be out of PSA’s pocket since it is their oversight and not your issue.

1 Like

In July of last year the certification numbers were at 259xxxxx so that’s just straight BS from the seller. At the end of the day it’s PSA’s sloppy grading and not his fault. PSA should be responsible and held accountable if we want them to remain a strong 3rd party service. You should elaborate on this if they refuse to pay you out. We can’t have inconsistency of this magnitude if we wish to have a sustainable market. There is really no excuse here. I’m sick of hearing the cop out line, “PSA is only human, and humans have flaws/make mistakes.” Sure, a mistake every once and a blue moon but they are getting paid serious money to grade cards and we should demand quality service. Not having any real competition is dangerous because it can create a lazy company that doesn’t need to compete with anyone or really try.
Check this out, I got a couple fingerprints on this pack fresh Chansey. I never touch the face of the card but I can’t prove it because I didn’t photograph the card prior to sending it but this just gives you an idea of quality control and standards over there.
Maybe a $1000+ payout will help them pay attention when looking at cards.

Small update :

The seller decided to accept my return. So now I’m faced with 2 options. I can get my money back(~$1280) in less than a week by returning to the seller; or I can go through PSA to fix the grade and get my money back(assuming PSA ‘values’ my card at market price) in weeks or even longer as I live in the UK and PSA is currently very busy with what they are doing.
What would you guys do?

Honestly, that’s a lot of money to gamble with, considering PSA might mess you around by saying it’s still a 10, or just offer you vouchers, especially since you’re in the UK. it sucks that it will be back in circulation but you shouldn’t have to take the monetary loss for PSA’s mistake

I will most probably take the return route. I am sorry if i am not doing the right thing to fix the grade. I want to thank Efour for the help that has been given to me. I have noted down the serial number as I am still in search of a PSA10 1st Ed shining zard and I do not want to own the same card again in a PSA10 case. TBH, I’m feeling very bad for wanting to return the card just knowing that it will most probably be sold to another unknowing person, this is really a shitty situation for me :slightly_frowning_face:
I hope you guys would understand…

1 Like

Definitely return the card, otherwise you’ll let seller off the hook too easily and he/she might do similar thing again in future. Fixing the grade + getting compensation from PSA would be the right move but it’s not exactly your responsibility.

1 Like

I completely understand dude, nothing hurts more than being deceived. I’m sure we’ve all been there at some point. Although it would have been interesting to see what may have come out of it had you send the card to psa :blush:

Considering i’ve got a few 10’s that i’d like to confront PSA with… but being in the EU and all.

Hopefully you get the return without issue and you can forget about this nightmare stuff.

Psa has a price guide tho. Do you think they would compensate based on their own price guide?

i have no idea what they would do, hence why i haven’t bothered with it yet lol.
if i ever do though i’ll post the results here.