Gym Challenge Set Information + Experience

Hello everyone,

My favourite set is Gym Challenge, and I’ve been trying to complete a PSA 9 Unlimited Holo set. My progress has been very good and the only thing preventing me from finishing the set is sellers not shipping to Canada and low card populations.

I had a few questions about some of the cards and set, and I figure this would be the best place to ask.

Misty’s Golduck 12/132 has a low pop and is difficult to find on eBay.
I’m wondering if you guys would credit this to it being a hard card to grade or because it’s a Golduck and the demand is not there.

I would also like to know if anyone has opinions on the rarity of the Corrected Blaine’s Charizard vs First Edition vs Misprint.

Favourite card from the set? I love this gorgeous Ivysaur!

Hopefully, some of you have some insight you could share with me!

11 Likes

@bowleous, mistys golduck is a hard to grade card

1 Like

I believe that the corrected Blaine’s charizard is on par or even rarer than the 1st edition. If I remember correctly, they didn’t start to print the corrected version until the very end of the print run.

Gym series is my favorite set as well, I’m 4 cards away from having both UNL holo sets in PSA 10. My ultimate goal is to have the complete Challenge set in UNL PSA 10

3 Likes

That’s good to hear, thanks man!

Yes, they were corrected at the end of the unlimited printing, and they can be found in the single area code Gym Challenge boxes.

I am so happy for you! It would be incredible to see a full set. I think many people overlook the gym sets for the Neos, but even the commons in Challenge are phenomenal. Sugimori went wild lol

1 Like

Love the gym sets so much @bowleous. Kingboo already said it–Golduck would without a doubt be one of the hardest to grade in both gym sets. So much holo. SO MUCH. Love that Ivysaur, love them all, but the best for me is… (ahem, look below)

Corrected Charizard is indeed by far and away the most rare–very hard to find. No one knows these kinds of data points, but I would guess it is outnumbered more than 10 to 1 in terms of print run.

Check out my collection (link in signature) and look for my gym binder page pics. I think you’ll enjoy :blush:

:grin:

1 Like

That’s an amazing binder collection! I hope to get back into binder collecting soon. I sold my Gym Challenge set for a couple hundred dollars a couple years ago, unfortunately. Giovanni’s Persian is such a great card.

1 Like