Guide: How to Collect Pokemon TCG

When someone starts collecting Pokemon TCG, they often feel overwhelmed by the amount of information available… but the truth is, they haven’t even scratched the surface yet.

It’s typical to see newcomers to the hobby buying and acquiring cards like headless chickens, without any sense or logic, spending money unnecessarily along the way. This often leads to regrets and, if this behavior continues for too long, it causes many to give up.

Collecting, in any form, is something I believe should be enjoyed, or else it’s eventually abandoned. And for that, you need a structure and even some routines.

So today, I’m here to write the guide that I wish someone had given me on the first day I became interested in this wonderful hobby.

Although this guide is primarily aimed at people starting in the hobby, it is possible that if you are an experienced collector, you can also derive certain habits from here to apply.

It’s based on my experience and my personality, so not everything may resonate with you. Apply what you like the most and create your own actions.

Put your wallet aside…

I believe the first thing anyone starting with Pokemon TCG or any collectible should do is put their wallet aside for at least the first month.

In this initial moment of excitement and uncertainty, where the eagerness to start overwhelms you, it’s VERY easy to make mistakes… and they can be very costly.

You start seeing “shiny objects,” listening to YouTubers talk and reading articles, each suggesting something different… and you feel like you want it all and that it’s a great idea to buy everything.

Stop! Controlling that initial impulse and dedicating 2-4 weeks solely to studying the hobby is vital and can save you some trouble. These first few weeks of study will allow you to establish the foundations of what I consider one of the most important parts of your journey in the hobby…

Establish Your Goals

The first step for any collector should be to establish goals for their collection.

That first month of “pause” in purchases, but active learning, should help you reach an answer to this question: What do I want to collect?

Pokemon TCG is filled with niches…

Do you want to collect sealed material? If so, what do you prefer? ETBs? 18 or 36 booster boxes? Promotional boxes? Graded packs?..

If you want to collect individual cards… In what language will you collect? Will you complete sets? Master Sets? Do you prefer vintage or modern? Do you want to gather all the existing cards of your favorite Pokemon? Or maybe you just want to focus on promo cards? Do you like storing cards in binders or do you want them graded?

There are many more options than I mentioned, and few people can cover them all… so you should decide what brings you the most happiness and set some goals. If you haven’t even understood what I mean by the terms I used, it might be a good idea to start by familiarizing yourself with them.

What do you want to have? How would you like your collection to be in 5-10 years?

There’s a concept that PK, a reputable collector within the community, talks about that I love. It’s the “identity of your collection”. Your collection should have a unique identity that makes it homogeneous and truly yours.

There are often times when, deviating from your goals, you start buying things without meaning… that take you away from what truly makes you happy or brings you enjoyment. It’s in these moments that interest is often lost because your collection no longer holds that meaning for you. Keep this concept in mind when creating your goals and progressing with them.

Educate yourself before making purchases until you are able to know what you really want. And remember, setting goals doesn’t mean they can’t change or evolve over time. Maintaining order will keep you motivated, but pivoting is not forbidden.

Remember that in the end, this is a hobby, and above all, you should enjoy it. If something stops appealing to you or even if achieving a first goal no longer motivates you… sell it and move on to the next.

As an example, something that motivates me is the rarity of the cards. Another aspect is the editions I collected and played with as a child, as well as the first and second-generation Pokemon.

These factors led me to establish my first collection goal: Complete sets of WOTC up to NEO Destiny, in 1st edition and English. Holo cards in PSA 9 and non-Holo cards in binders.

Soon after, I realized that something was missing… and I expanded my goals in relation to the rarity aspect: chase cards, in English, with estimated print runs below 30,000 copies. Most of them to be stored in binders.

And there I go… enjoying the process of achieving a goal that will take me years to complete but keeps me motivated.

Set up a Tracking System

The next step is to establish a tracking system for the collection you want to acquire.

The format that has worked best for me is Excel. This process has a before and after when it comes to obtaining the desired cards or items. Here’s how it works:

Once you have determined your goals, you should record them in an Excel spreadsheet. The columns I use to provide information are as follows:

1. Card/item name.
  2. Edition.
  3. Estimated value (I update this on a monthly basis, adding new columns each quarter to track price fluctuations since I started considering purchasing it).
  4. Date of acquisition.
  5. Item condition.
  6. Price paid for it.
  7. Graded? If yes, I specify the grade (e.g., PSA 9). If not, it remains blank.
  8. Comments. Here, I usually note the seller’s name and any peculiarities about the acquisition process.

This process takes time, but I assure you it’s worth it. I try to enjoy it as much as acquiring the items themselves, and I love keeping track of my progress.

I want to emphasize the “estimated value” column. Although it may seem secondary, it’s probably the first one you should fill in, even before you start buying what you initially planned to collect.

This is because without knowing the actual cost of acquiring everything you want to collect, you won’t know if your goals are even attainable…

Perhaps the objective you’ve set costs €200,000 (while your annual income is €30,000), and you hadn’t even considered that. Once you’ve completed that column in Excel, ask yourself: Is what I’m aiming for realistic?

If it’s not, you might need to reconsider your goals. Not doing so can lead to frustration in the medium term and result in giving up.

The acquisition prices are also important as they will help you make selling decisions in the future, should you consider selling for any reason.

Your Budget

Collecting in a responsible manner, considering your personal finances, is of vital importance.

Spending more than you have or prioritizing card purchases over truly important things, such as providing for your family, is utter foolishness. It may seem like I’m exaggerating, but you’d be surprised by the crazy things I’ve seen and how people can get into debt during moments of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

This will inevitably lead to a point where you have to sell (yes, to make a living), and all you’ll take away from the hobby is a terrible experience.

What I do is establish a monthly budget, a percentage of my income, and I don’t exceed it.

This prevents me from making reckless decisions and allows me to enjoy building my collection gradually, savoring every card I acquire, whether it’s a PSA 9 holo or an uncommon card I need to complete a set.

Finding a way to enjoy the hobby is what will truly keep you engaged in it over the years.

Where and How to Buy?

The most common places to buy Pokemon cards are Cardmarket (or TCGPlayer if you’re in the United States), eBay, second-hand platforms like Wallapop, Vinted or Craiglist, or even social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram.

However, it’s important for you to discover the best places to acquire your specific objectives. Certain items can be obtained at lower prices on certain platforms or in certain countries, and this will take some time (and even money) to figure out.

Always try to negotiate with sellers to get better prices for recurring purchases, especially if they are shipping from abroad. Building relationships with those who will be supplying your collection is beneficial, so don’t hesitate to interact and establish connections. You’ll appreciate it.

Lastly, try not to overpay above the market price. Patience is key, and remember that you’re in this for the long run. Don’t rush into bidding on auctions that have already skyrocketed or pay someone who is asking more than what a card is "truly worth”. Other opportunities will come, I guarantee it, and probably sooner than you think.

I want to emphasize that I put “truly worth” in quotation marks because you need to understand that the price of a card is always relative. The last unit sold on eBay or the minimum price listed on Cardmarket may not necessarily make sense.

Try to develop your own valuations, relying on websites like Pokedata or 130point. This will require practice and experience that you will only gain along the way.

Protect Your Cards

Now that you’re starting to make purchases… Remember! In Pokemon TCG collecting, the condition of your cards is crucial.

Protect your cards at all costs. Always use card sleeves, even if they are already in a binder. Keep them away from sunlight and moisture, as they can change color and become bent.

Use Toploaders if you’re going to store cards outside of a binder. They will keep them straight (holo cards tend to warp) and protected.

If you live in a very humid area, consider grading your cards, even if it’s just to preserve them properly. Alternatively, you can purchase a dry cabinet where you can store everything, including the binders.

Last, but not least…

• Find a community. One of the things that will keep you engaged in collecting is having someone to share your passion for the hobby and all your successes with. The journey is better when you have company. Look for online groups or communities dedicated to Pokémon collecting, where you can share your experiences (and learn from others), get advice, meet people with similar interests, and even make real and everlasting friendships.
  • Attend events and conventions. This is an excellent way to fully immerse yourself in the world of collecting. It gives you the opportunity to meet other collectors, see impressive collections, get exclusive items, and expand your knowledge about the hobby. You may even have the chance to make trades or acquire cards that are not easily found elsewhere.
  • Stay informed. Pokémon TCG is constantly evolving, with new expansions, promotions, and products being released regularly. Therefore, it’s important to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest news and trends in the hobby if you don’t want to be left behind. Follow influential people in the hobby who provide information about the aspects that interest you the most. Participate in online communities or forums where you can discuss with other collectors and share information.
  • Take out your collection and enjoy it. Look for those moments when you can sit alone with it and flip through the pages of your binders. If you lose the connection with it, if you turn collecting into a mere accumulation of objects that mean nothing to you… you’ll end up neglecting it or it will give you more frustration than joy.

Celebrate each new item you add to your collection, appreciate the beauty of the cards, and enjoy the sense of achievement when you reach your goals. Collecting is a form of personal expression and a way to connect with a passionate community.

Pokémon TCG is a fascinating and exciting world. With proper planning, goal setting, organized tracking, and enjoying the process, you can create a collection that reflects your passion and provides you with many hours of fun.

I hope you take something from this guide that you can apply to your daily life, and remember: Enjoy collecting!

11 Likes

Any things you would add?

Any routines or methods you follow? :nerd_face: :smiley:

Besides the where and how to buy, I think it is also important to know the working of the platforms you buy from, in terms of how to use them. It is probably trivial but knowing how auctions work or how to use middle-man services is very beneficial to not getting caught off guard or missing out on something you have had an eye on for quite sometime.

Compliments to you for a very nice write-up. I enjoy reading your articles and this is also well written. It may seem basic to most who are many years in but is a great primer for anyone starting out new or rejoining the hobby after a long time.

Thanks and Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes, totally agree on that. Knowing about how auctions work and how to use middle-man services is clearly important. Something to add to the guide, for sure.

Thanks for your words! I’m glad you are liking the articles. :pray: :smiley: Really appreciate!

Very thorough post. Great things there!

Really, collecting is like any new endeavor. When you first start, you have child-like excitement. You want to go fast, learn all you can, have/do/try everything.

BUT you can’t. Knowledge is key, and it helps you avoid making dumb decisions. Like a new job, a new hobby, or a new significant other, don’t overdose with too much right away. You have to learn and grow over time, let it breath as you process the new information. You can’t force it to happen all at once.
There are other great nuggets here to, but if you take this approach, collecting will be a really great journey, and HEY, you might naturally find this hobby is not for you. That’s Perfect. You won’t have spent tons of money on it too soon.

5 Likes

Collecting in the 2020-2021 boom be like

1 Like