Back Into Pokemon: A Guide for Returning Collectors

Whenever I speak with collectors over the age of 17/18 or so, I usually hear the same origin story. “I collected cards as a kid, and then sold/gave away/packed up my collection, but now I’m getting back into collecting.” I’m sure we can all relate to this! So, if you find yourself in this position, this is a guide to getting back into the Pokemon card collecting hobby.

Step 1: Determining what you want to collect.
Pokemon cards have been around for approaching 20 years! 20 years ago the internet, cell phones, and laptops were just dreams. Many things have happened in 20 years, and many, many Pokemon cards have been printed. Finding which cards speak to you the most can help with collection goals and not spending too much money. Were you blown away by the Base Set Charizard and Shining Mewtwo? Maybe you want to collect WOTC cards. Did you dream of pulling a Gold Star or ex card? Then perhaps the EX Series is right for you. As of Ancient Origins, there are 65 English Pokemon TCG sets and 61 Japanese sets. Selecting which ones you want to collect is big. I’ll give a short overview of each era right now.

Generally, collectors refer to eras in the Pokemon TCG. There’s the WOTC (Wizards of the Coast) era, when cards were manufactured by, you guessed it, Wizards of the Coast. Sets released in this era include Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, and all Gym and Neo sets. While WOTC did manufacture a couple e-series sets, the card design did change and therefore the e-series is usually considered a separate era. Highlights of the WOTC era include 1st Edition Base Set of course, the Neo Shinings, and fantastic artwork and nostalgic card design all around.

The e-series era introduced scannable cards if you had an e-reader for your Game Boy Advance. This era of cards us usually hit or miss with collectors, as many loved the beautiful artwork, but were discouraged by literal barcodes on all cards except holos. The e-series includes the famed Crystal cards, with Crystal Charizard, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi being highlights.

The e-series era blended into the EX series era in what is generally considered to be the time when the Pokemon TCG was least popular, from around 2003-2007. However, this does not equate to a dropoff in card quality. The EX series introduced Pokemon-ex, more powerful versions of regular Pokemon. The cards included full holographic borders and artwork, and followed up the Crystals and Neo Shinings as true Ultra Rare cards, usually being 2-3 per booster box. Later EX Series sets included Gold Star cards, which featured Shiny Pokemon and were the first cards to show Pokemon breaking out of the artwork box. These Gold Star cards were incredibly difficult to pull, with one coming in every two to three boosted boxes. The EX Series was the longest era to date, spanning four full years and including 16 distinct English sets. The EX series is my personal favorite for the variety of cards, nostalgia, and design.

The Diamond/Pearl/Platinum era did away with Pokemon-ex and introduced some interesting new mechanics, first and foremost being Pokemon Lv. X. These cards were similar to Pokemon-ex but worked differently in the TCG. Also introduced in the DPt era were ultra rare reprints of WOTC-era cards, fully-evolved basic Pokemon as Pokemon-SP, and shiny reverse holo cards of not very interesting Pokemon.

After the DPt era came the Legend era, featuring Legend cards with two separate halves, each with a different legendary Pokemon, and Pokemon Prime. Pokemon Lv. X, Pokemon-SP, and all other previous mechanics were abandoned. The Legend era mainly featured Pokemon from Johto as it was based on the Gold and Silver remakes, Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Following the Legend era came the BW-XY era. This era is usually lumped together because of similarities in card mechanics. The BW sets introduced Full Art Pokemon cards, which had art covering the entire card instead of the regular artwork box. This mechanic was quickly abandoned in favor of a return to Pokemon-EX (now capitalized) in the Next Destinies set. However, they did release full art versions of these new Pokemon-EX, which were a big hit with collectors and players alike. The BW era added ultra rare golden-border Trainers and Pokemon. All Pokemon featured in these gold-border cards were shiny.

The XY era added Mega Evolution to the TCG, with M Pokemon-EX. Mega Evolution cards feature one very powerful attack and evolve from Basic Pokemon-EX. The XY era continued all mechanics from the BW era except the gold border trainers for a short time, which returned in Primal Clash. Full art versions of M Pokemon-EX were also introduced in Primal Clash, much to the excitement of collectors.

There are also Promotional cards that go with every era, such as trophy cards for winning tournaments, store promo cards, and mail-in cards. These cards are not part of a set but are usually much more rare and expensive.

Usually the newest era of cards is the most readily available and least expensive to find sealed products. However, the challenge of finding older products can be fun. Whichever era(s) you collect from is fully up to you, but it helps to dictate which cards you want to collect.

Step 2: What language should I collect in?
This may be a no-brainer for some, and a serious predicament for others. Do you prefer the ease of collecting and recognizability of English cards, or the higher quality and rarity of Japanese cards? Maybe you want to collect a lesser-known language, such as Chinese, Korean, Dutch, or Spanish.

English Pokemon cards are the most recognizable and most widely collected type of card. Some English products may be very expensive, but are usually not too hard to find. However, there are downsides to English collecting. There are an insane amount of English card collectors. Chances are, if you have a card, five hundred other people have it in better condition along with every other card from that set. There is very little exclusivity and uniqueness in English card collecting. Also, English card quality is generally lower than Japanese quality. English cards may have slight edgewear, centering issues, and factory printing lines coming right out of the pack.

Japanese cards are usually harder to find, more expensive, and less marketable than English cards. It sounds like a bad deal right off the bat. However, Japanese collecting has many perks. First, sets are released in Japanese a few months before their English counterpart. Japanese card quality is almost always perfect coming right out of the pack. And, fewer people collect Japanese, making it a more exclusive type of collecting.

You don’t have to collect just one language (I myself collect both English and Japanese), but again, it helps to draw some lines so you aren’t tempted by that Korean booster box or Dutch Base Set Charizard.

Step 3: How do I want to collect?
Deciding how to collect cards is a big decision. Basically it all boils down to this: sets or singles? Do you want to collect every card in a set, completing it and never needing to open another pack or buy another card from the set again? Or do you only want one or two cards from the set, and don’t want to bother with the rest of it. Full set collecting is tedious, but rewarding. Singles collecting can save you money, but may not be as satisfying. This may also include decisions on what, if any, sealed products you want to buy. Maybe you want to pull cards yourself out of packs, or you want to just buy them.

Step 4: How do I want to display my cards?
Do you want your cards all lined up next to each other in a binder, or do you want them in stacks of toploaders for better protection? Important questions, again, all up to you. Displaying a collection successfully can be a fantastic achievement and really make you proud of your hard work.

Another part to this is professional grading. Do you want to go after the best condition cards in the best grades, or not? The debate over whether or not to grade should not be held here, but deciding whether or not you want your cards graded is an important part of your collection.

Step 5: Money.
Collecting cards costs money, that’s the truth of it. Usually coming back into collecting we find that we are able to buy many of the cards we had idolized as kids, but could never get. Be sure to set a budget for your card collecting. If you find a card you really like but doesn’t fit into your budget, sell some of your less wanted cards. Keeping a good budget is essential to successful collecting. If you spend too much, you may be forced to sell off your collection at a loss. There really isn’t a downside to spending too little. Life comes first, always remember that.

Thank you guys for reading this guide, and I hope it is helpful to anyone who is getting back into Pokemon card collecting. Obviously all decisions are your own, and this is a ‘guide’ for a reason. Do what makes you happy, but if you make decisions about all the questions I have posed here, you will thank yourself later on.

17 Likes

Nice guide!

tl;dr

joking, nice one

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this.

One thing I would like to see considered is the costs associated with collecting being taken into consideration when budgeting as well.

Often costs like binders, top loaders, sleeves, PSA memberships, postage requirements etc are overlooked and can be a little annoying. Budgeting really is one of the most important factors to collecting. =)

1 Like

Top guide buddy :blush:
Even though its been a few months since i resumed collecting pokemon cards, mainly WOTC, this guide still gave me a good insight into other sets like from the e-series on wards as do not know that much about them.

Really appreciate the effort you have put into making this guide, i can really see this benefiting a lot of people :blush:

wat

Twenty years ago was 1995, not 1895. :wink:

3 Likes

Great guide :blush: Any tips on people trying to get into trophy cards? Have been strictly collecting base set for the longest time, but thinking about expanding. Know little to nothing about them tho, which is why I’m reluctant to start

@smpratte probably knows all there is to know about trophy cards.

But seriously, Trophy cards are very rewarding. However they take more planning than set cards. From a collecting perspective, they are objectively the final frontier. I personally started out doing all of the sets, then moved onto Japanese promos, then discovered trophy cards. The progression was healthy as I already had to plan to save for cards that were a few hundred dollars, and gradually worked my way up the lader.

From an investment standpoint, they are typically one of the best items to purchase for a long term investment. Literally every trophy card I had from 2009-2011 has exponentially exploded in value.

In regards to either collecting for personal value, or financial, there are objective universal standards. The main one being that pre 2004 trophy cards have a much greater demand than post 2004. This is mainly due to the unique, mostly hand drawn artwork that rarely appears on modern cards, especially trophy cards.

The only cost is literally the cost. The older japanese trophy cards can earn a premium, especially with patience. However, the hunt and obtaining one you like is absurdly rewarding.

3 Likes

What is actually meant by the term ‘trophy card’?

Modern Trophy cards are awarded to TCG players who win tournaments. As such, there are very few printed (usually only one) which makes them very valuable and highly sought after by collectors.

Older trophy cards with multiple copies (like trophy Kangaskhan) were awarded to a small number of players who did very well at select tournaments.

1 Like

This is incorrect.

The older/original trophy cards were only awarded to the top 3 winners just as they are today in current tournaments. In fact, some of the older tournaments had less copies distributed than current. The SSB, TMB, 2000-2002 Battle Roads and 1997-1998 Official Pokemon Tournaments (pika trophies) are the original tournaments. The number of copies for these tournaments are absurdly low. More specifically, each illustration was unique to each tournament. Majority of newer trophy cards are re-used and/or reprinted; hence why they are not worth as much as their predecessors.

Cards such as the Trophy kangaskhan are not comparable to the cards awarded to the top 3 finalists at a tournament. These cards are prize cards, but are generally referred to as trophy cards.

A card that is awarded as a trophy, usually for winning a tournament. These cards are not awarded or released in any other manner.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks guys.

I really feel like there is so much to trophy cards. Personal favorites are the University Magikarp, and Kanghaskan promo, but definitely will continue my research to understand how the prices vary and such. I imagine it takes much patience with rare cards such as these