Grading company volume in April 2023

Thoughts?

13 Likes

Looks like things have gotten back to how they were pre-pandy. Except Beckett seems like they are really falling off. I’m not sure what to think of CGC anymore in terms of their future. I feel like they fill a niche in the tcg hobby but if PSA keeps adding the same features/services at a lower price, I’m afraid of what CGC will have to do to still compete.

I don’t like Beckett, i prefer PSA and CGC for grading. I also like CGC’s cases more, but what makes the decision for me is price, value and the established set registry at PSA. It’s been around so long it’s hard to go with any other company anymore.

5 Likes

This just in - cgc continue to lose volume based on a report that has shocked no one. More at 10

5 Likes

Glad to see things cooling off. Also it is nuts how far apart PSA is from everyone else.

7 Likes

BGS: we want to adjust our system slightly to improve the overall quality and satisfaction of our services so we can stay competitive

BGS customers:

BGS:

Also BGS:

18 Likes

Good use of old meme faces

1 Like

Consolidation is inevitable

CGC should buy BGS

I’m curious how much of the junk slab connotation affects non psa companies? I may not be indicative of the average buyer, but I just completely disregard non-psa companies unless its a very rare card. I’m curious if that plays a roll in less being submitted.

3 Likes

I think that has merit. What concerns me is PSA is killing the competition and PSA isn’t even doing anything different except improving turnaround times. Nothing else.

CGC could’ve be so much better than it is. Sigh.

Its gotta be difficult to operate a grading company in a hobby with so much noise. I think PSA does a really good job of crowing out noise and just doing the same thing.

1 Like

There’s only one grading company and then there’s those novelty holders for cards that were roughed up at the factory or cut from a sheet.

5 Likes

Can’t say that I’m surprised.

It would be neat to see the distribution by TCG/CCG. We all know that the P in PSA is for Pokemon. But MTG, YuGiOh, Dragon Ball Super, Weiß Schwarz, OnePiece, Flesh & Blood, MetaZoo, etc. may see upticks in different grading companies.

I’m particularly interested in the distribution for MTG. BGS has always been the preferred grader for MTG, but that may be changing to CGC.

PSA is still king :eyes:

2 Likes

I hate that PSA pretty much has a monopoly on the Pokemon grading market because I really prefer CGC cases in terms of viewability. But that’s literally the only reason at this point that I’m not crossing my CGC slabs to PSA.

CGC has really shot themselves in the foot in so many ways. The lack of a pop report for almost 2 years was pathetic. And their credibility was destroyed when they made the sudden change to their grading scale without acknowledging it.

It sucks because, IMO, CGC has a genuinely superior physical product. They really needed to capitalize on that. But instead, they decided to use a grading scale that the market had already soundly repudiated. They should’ve entered the scene with the same scale as PSA + a label very similar to PSA. The differentiating feature should’ve just been the case. But for whatever reason, they decided to reinvent the wheel. They should’ve done 10 minutes of market research before entering the market.

22 Likes

d9vhz1x-62aca5c9-134a-459c-ada9-8eea4a3403b6

PSA right now.

27 Likes

All i know is that when im after a card, I can usually get it a decent discount in the same condition from non-psa grading companies. Whether for a binder, or regrade. Anecdotally, this is a pretty common observation.

Its odd that despite having significantly less volume, i still associate CGC with junk slab, more than PSA. Maybe a higher volume of lower value are being submitted through pwcc/ cgc for ease of flip? Either way, the ocean of CGC junk on pwcc every week definitely harms my perception of the company lmao

2 Likes

Would be the smart play optically, but that assumes they have the financial capability and can crystalize a marketing pitch that people believe in. Remember PSA doesn’t even have to buy the other companies, they just have to have an equal or slightly superior product, and it will put them out of business, in time.

At this point, I’m waiting for prices to drop. I’ve submitted 3 rounds at $15 and gotten anything in that I wanted to at that price point. What’s left in my grading pile doesn’t make sense to submit at $15 and I’m in no rush to submit modern or anything like that.

This is all for PSA, I don’t have an interest in other grading companies

2 Likes

I haven’t seen a rage comic since since 2011

5 Likes

The market is overflowing with excess graded cards. Price dropping here we come.

2 Likes