Grading advice appreciated

So. How did I do. $300.00 shipped. She’s beautiful. 9 or 10 though? I’m new to official grading through PSA somewhat, but I have extreme OCD and see nearly everything. I just don’t know where the cut off is for quality between grades as I see it seems all over the place for whitening, even with 10s. I collect 9s, but would love a 10 in this guy! What do any and all you pros out there think of this card?? Is it as clean as I think? Also, what’s the financial look like here?? I wouldn’t sell, as this is my only copy, but knowing I did okay price wise would be cool. I don’t seem to see them looking this crispy often! Thanks again!

Shining Charizard!! Potential 10?? 9?? imgur.com/gallery/HiRn3

For what I can see I think you have a gem in your hands. :gem::gem:
To be a 100% sure I would need to see the holo better to make sure there are no scratches.

When determining a cards grade. I always take it out of it sleeve (only just before submitting cards), to give it one last check.
Some things just can’t be seen with the sleeve around it.

Good luck :blush:

1 Like

I feel like you should have asked all of these questions before you bought the card.

Also that comment on the imgur post telling you to constantly resubmit the card if it gets a 9, for the hope of getting a 10, is trash.

5 Likes

… um… ok…

…Well, I bought the card after a short discussion with the seller almost the instant I saw it as it had many watchers and I had the money… So asking first would have been difficult. Regardless I would have bought this sexy specimen no matter what perceived third party grade it may get hypothetically. I also had not yet posted to this forum when I purchased the card… Then there would be the simple fact that I am excited about something we all share a passion for, so I wanted to share my excitement by participating in discussion with intelligent individuals… I was under the impression that was the point of a forum. Anyways, thank you so much for answering my question, appreciate the input!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aw dude! Thank you so much for that information! That is actually really encouraging and helpful! I seriously think you may be right, I am so excited I cannot stand it!! Thanks for saying something man, love to talk cards and don’t have many ppl to do so with! Take care!!

1 Like

I wasn’t having a go at you, it was just a suggestion for the future.

It is a very nice card.

2 Likes

Sorry, seemed you were annoyed with my questions. I apologize for the snippy response :blush:

There’s edge wear on the back toward the top left and a couple corner dots. It shouldn’t grade higher than a 9 and pictures are hard to go off of just because of angles and lighting so there could potentially be more I’m not seeing but you should expect an 8 and hope for the 9 just so you aren’t disappointed. Unless of course you get one of those blind graders who literally doesn’t care about there job, doesn’t have a second set of eyes look at it, and actually wants PSA’s reputation to fall into the abyss.

1 Like

If you can’t tell in person what defects there are then how could we tell by pictures that don’t show everything?
And house is right about overcracking hoping to fool the grader or potential buyer.

1 Like

Well mostly I mean to say what about it would potentially change the grade. I have seen 10s with edge wear, and I own 9s that look pristine, it seems to be all over the place. One big question I have is if the age or rarity of a card change how harshly it is graded?? It just seems to me from ebay pictures that sometimes 10s are a lot harder to get, and 9s are always seemingly subjective. So basically, I can see every single flaw, I am just wondering what would qualify a card as what really, with serious and specific context of this card being of interest to me personally. Thanks for the reply! I am still pretty new to grading, just have always done the inspecting myself, it is the numeral system used that I wonder so much about.

I think this is a great opportunity to review PSA’s grading standards for both education and to hold PSA to the parameters they have outlined so the integrity of a third party service upholds. Below you’ll find the given standards graders are supposed to honor. These grading parameters need to be brought up so they are fresh in the minds of everyone, including PSA. The beginning of the year seems like an appropriate time to do so.

How PSA’s grading standards are outlined on their website

1 Like

You paid just under PSA 9 price, so if you get a 9 it’s a good buy. :blush:

There will always be anomalies or mistakes, but don’t base your pregrades on them. Just because you have a 10 with whitening doesn’t mean all cards with similar whitening will get a 10. A 9 that’s similarly pristine on a different card could get a 10.
You can’t tell for positive by looking at the card what the eventual grade might be and it’s even less likely an accurate pregrade can be made using pictures that hide and disguise all sorts of things.
Basically, damage docks grades. Compare to PSA guidelines. Start from there then just send them in. Don’t waste time playing guessing games unless that’s the whole purpose;)

PSA parameters are “too subjective” but asking peoples opinions based on photos isn’t?

I’ve heard of “cracking” the next level grade, and I get if you feel genuine about getting it regraded you should, but why is sending it over and over a trash idea? Ethically speaking is that the issue? Or is it a waste of time and money?

PSA… um… thats a 9!?