Grading a card not in PSA database

I’m looking to do my first submission of a few Shining Legends cards and the Mewtwo GX 082/072 doesn’t come up when I search for it. Some of the other Shining Legends cards do but not this one.

I’ve never submitted to PSA before so I have no idea if I have to wait until they manually add it in or how it works. I’m really excited because I pulled the Mewtwo on my own and it looks amazing, would love to get it in a 10 for my collection.

So typically those cards are somewhat already in their system, just not in the database fully to show up (Others have submitted before you most of the time). So many times you just pick something similar or from the previous set, edit it to reflect the current card and by the time they get to grading it, they should have a standard correct label on your card. Usually I just replace the set name, numbers and Pokemon of the previous tier.

It seems to let me proceed without selecting from the drop down, is it okay to do that? As long as I enter the correct info about the card I assume they’d be able to take it from there?

I wasn’t sure if you were still allowed to submit cards that you couldn’t select or not is why I asked.

Yep. They will have plenty of information and cards submitted from SM3+ to handle it. Really only obscure cards need some sort of verification or information sent to them. You will be just fine!

Back before PSA had their online submission you had to write out everything by hand. If you had a major order you were almost guaranteed a hand cramp. With BGS you still have to use a hand written order if you’re using a service that’s not listed on their website. Anyways, when you have a hand written order you can actually see exactly what they want you to provide:
Year, Sport, Card Company=Set Name, Card #, Card Name, Variety=1st edition/shadowless/error

So, when you have something not in the system you just have to provide the categories listed.

2 Likes

Boy is this true lol.

I made up my own Psa template on Word, before they had the online submission. I’d fill that out on my computer so I didnt have to do it by hand. They always accepted it.

Where was this idea when I had my first 1000 card submission.

1 Like

So branching off of this thread here about a 1997 Topsun Charizard Holofoil (which isn’t in their database):

www.elitefourum.com/t/what-the-heck-is-this-charizard-card-topsun/17494/1

Should I submit the card as a write-in option of ‘1997 Pokemon Topsun Charizard Holofoil #6’? Or just as others have been doing, i.e., choosing the 1995 Topsun Charizard Holofoil option?

If you send it in with the '97 label PSA will send it back with a no grade no charge.

*out of curisoity what the motivation for grading it?

It’s in really good condition with only a small discoloration about 1mm in diameter. Saw that other PSA 10 on ebay for $900, and even though it hasn’t sold it’s literally the only data point that I have available for this card. A 9 or 10 grade would make mine much more valuable, I’d think.

Alright, I was hoping you were doing it for your personal collection so I could advise you to get it custom encapsilated.

As others have already said, it is very easy if a card from the same set has been graded. Simply look for the best and closest related card from the same set. Then just simply swap out the set # and Pokemon name and it will go through every time with no trouble.

Very frustrating when the first graders use some crazy denotation, but you kind of have to roll with it I have found. “Holo” runs rampant being used twice in some names here and there, but oh well.

I have been the first to grade many specific topps cards using this same method above, though I have never been first into a new set so my advice doesn’t extend into those situations.

That one doesn’t help you at all.
Price it right if you are serious about selling. I for one would top out about 350.00.

Is that listing just for showoff purposes? I’ve seen a few listers put up items/sets of items that have crazy ridiculous prices, my guess is that they’re just showing off their best stuff… not like anyone here would do that though… *cough cough* :blush: