Good Expansion Sets

Hey I am pretty new to collecting pokemon cards and I was wondering what are some really good expansions from the Sun and Moon generations. I have heard that there are some that are called ‘mini-sets’ like Shining Legends and Hidden Fates, that people seem to really like. I haven’t really looked into Shinig Legends but I can see that Hidden Fates has some cool stuff like shinies and a lot of EX cards, plus the fact that it does not have booster packs.

Furthermore, I would like to know what you think makes something a good set? Is it simply when a set has a lot of GX cards or Secret Rares? I also saw that people do not like Steam Siege, what makes it so bad?

Steam Siege isn’t so bad, it’s charming in its own way and it’s become an e4 meme as the set people love to hate. The problem with Steam Siege is it has almost nothing that would make people want to put their money into it over other sets. It has some nice artwork going for it, but that’s not enough to make people want to buy a full booster box of it when they can buy the singles for dirt cheap and still have money to open packs from other, more exciting sets.

As for Sun and Moon, Shining Legends and Hidden Fates are awesome and have something for every type of collector. If you’re looking for somewhere to start, I recommend one of those 2 sets for sure!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the explanation, personally not a big fan of Hidden Fates because all the common and uncommon cards have Gen 1 Pokemon, but I will keep an eye out for Shining Legends then.

Which pokemon are your favourite?

What cards do you like?

1 Like

Farts Collide is worse then Steam Siege imo.

4 Likes

Emerging Powers is the worst set of all time

3 Likes

Take that back

4 Likes

What did gen 1 commons and uncommons ever do to you? Haha.

but to your above comment: hidden fates does have booster packs, they don’t have booster boxes. They come in tins and special promo boxes or whatever they call them. They can be real tough to find though!

Hmmm favourite pokemon is quite hard, I like most pokemon. Some favorites are Slurpuff, Marshadow and Mimikyu, but as long as the art on the card looks nice I am happy with almost every card.

My favourite cards are the full art trainer cards. i also really like those cosmic eclipse GX cards where the trainers are with their pokemon.

1 Like

but but but…secret Alakazam!

Ok, I can agree with this. Early BW sets were weak.

1 Like

What makes it so bad?

It only has 2 chase cards in it which are non ex full arts of not so popular pokemon is the main thing I think. There is just nothing to open from it.

What are chase cards? Just interesting/rare cards?

Thundurus & Tornadus FA:s. Ugly cards and Pokemon that I personally dislike…

1 Like

Oof some really ugly cards indeed

1 Like