Gen 4 has become the most nostalgic for me...

Idk I feel weird saying this but I wanted to share something I posted on my IG about today’s D&P announcements. I think there could be a conversation had about “newer nostalgia” or moments in time that feel new turning into or even replacing older nostalgia.

In short- Because of the fact that D/P got me back into the hobby and my memories associated with it are so cherished, I almost feel more nostalgia in this era of games/packs than I do for the OG era. When I look back on my collecting those are the sets I had most fun with. I love getting excited for a Holo hit and only having one or two chase cards. I miss secret rares having meaning. I wouldn’t have bet money on me feeling this way months ago, but now looking back and leading up to this announcement I have had this feeling. Watching that announcement and even tearing up… yeah tears… made me realize this lol. I’m so happy for these games!

—-

“This may be the most nostalgic and heartfelt post I’ve made.
Pokémon Pearl and the Gen 4 Pokémon sets have slowly become the most nostalgic games and cards of my collecting. Yes, even more so than Gen 1! With so much focus on Gen 1 now days, those fond memories get replaced and developed into to new experiences for Gen 1 as we continue our journey. My memories from when I got back into the hobby in full are stronger than ever today.
One night when sitting on Gears of War 2 with some friends (which we played A LOT…) we finally became bored of stomping noobs continuously and decided to pull out our old game boys. Within the week we were all bringing them to high school to play in our downtime. Within another week the whole school had the urge for reviving their Pokémon days. Jocks, geeks, band nerds, choir heads… all were under the same spell of Pokémon’s magic and we all intertwined. Soon after, those gameboys became DS’s and new copies of the latest Pokémon games… Diamond and Pearl.
This started a journey I could never forget. That year we were playing Pearl version during high school with friends, late at night, at the park, after ultimate frisbee, ALL THE TIME. Frisbee was a daily occurrence after high school was out. We’d go to the park and play our match, then afterwards sit on the playground to battle Pokémon for hours more till the sun set. We began to pick up packs here and there. I remember seeing old ex sets on the shelf with the brand new diamond and pearl sets thinking “look at that old boring stuff”. One thing led to another and I can now say those experiences are the true roots of how dedicated I have been in my collecting over the years. It has always been passion and love for the hobby over everything else. I owe all of this and so much more to these games and in time I think there will be many more like me. Many who will always have that love and nostalgia for base set etc… but many who also give a lot of credit to where they came back into the hobby.”

N

2 Likes

Curious to why the gen 5 icon and using the “N”?

2 Likes

Pearl is where my love for the games started, and I was dedicated and to experience more. When black and white came out it really sealed my fate as a life long player and collector. Black and White has some of the best story writing as far as Pokémon games go, and it was perfect timing for me to fall in love/connect with the character “N”. BW are probably my favorite games playability and story wise but Pearl had more positive memories IRL. Also my first name begins with N, I connected to N as a character, and saw a lot of my characteristics in him, so that’s that!

1 Like

If I could I would give you a high five right now. Black white is epic as heck.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Hey, their next games in line for a remake now!

2 Likes