Gamers: Monitor Suggestions

Like the title says, in need of some semi-serious gamers to give me solid, affordable monitor suggestions. I play mostly with my friends on console if that helps. I’m currently playing on a pretty old 32"ish TV that doesn’t have great response time and no safe zone option so like 1/2 an inch is cut off each side of the screen for almost every game I play.

I play almost exclusively FPS games and BR’s, so a lot of these tech websites suggesting $500+ monitors for playing Skyrim and these other immersive campaign-style games at maximum graphics just isn’t something I really care about. I just need something with good response, nothing too big or special. Anyone got any suggestions of monitors you own, or even a website/YouTuber/tech site that’s actually well-informed?

144hz is definitely something to look into. If your pc can put out those frames (especially on low settings; games like Counter Strike are easy to run) then having a monitor that can reflect that is insanely valuable.

Edit just saw you said you play on console… not sure if consoles are capable of doing what I mentioned but look it up and see if it can work.

If you’re on console you won’t need more than 60hz. But you can get a 144hz if you want to future-proof since microsoft said some games will run at 120 fps on their next-gen hardware.

In terms of response time almost all monitors are much faster than your tv. Fast tvs have a response time around 17ms and most monitors nowadays have less than 5ms.

Resolution is also an important factor. You can get 1080p monitors really cheap but the newer consoles (ps4 pro and xbox one x) are targeting 4k.

I’d recommend to set yourself a budget and look up what kind of monitors are in that price range and what cuts you have to make in order for them to fit your budget.

I personally use an acer 1440p 144hz 27" tn panel, g-sync compatible which I bought for around $300 and it’s totally fine.

1 Like

Look into BenQ monitors for console gaming as they have 60hz TN panel and 1ms response times and aren’t too expensive.

If on console:

• look for 60 hz, <5ms response time, 1080p . (these are best unless you have 4k capabilities on next gen in mind or something)

If on PC:

• look for 144 hz or 256 hz, 1-2ms, 1080 or 4k.

Best size in my opinion: 24" or 27". Some people like a little more compact screen for gaming sometimes.

Most stats depend on budget.

Best brands: Asus, BenQ, and Alienware in my opinion.

1 Like

A lot more suggestions than I thought I would get. Appreciate all the help

If it is any help I bought this ASUS monitor a few months back that does the job (well for my gaming needs)

ASUS Monitor
It pairs great with my AMD rx5700 GPU with the freesync. Response time in multiplayer games is amazing and runs games very smooth and no screen tearing.
The only thing about it that could be better is the speakers in it they are really quiet and tinny sounding but I usually just use my gaming headset or separate speakers.

Grab a set of those button things for controller joysticks. Really help with fps.