For anyone who has shipped to USA recently...

For any of you who have shipped anything to the US within the past few weeks, have you noticed significant delays on delivery speed? (any shipping method that is handled by USPS after arriving to US, not couriers like fedex etc.)

Pretty much every single one of my US shipments which were shipped slightly before/after Christmas has had severe delays, it seems like it can take multiple weeks for the packages to even get processed after leaving the country of origin (Finland). For example a few registered packages that left the country at 27 / 28th December has not even been processed at all in the US yet with zero tracking updates.

I know the holiday season can cause severe delays like this, but this seems to have effected every single package I shipped ~1week before/after Christmas, and I’m wondering if you guys have noticed a similar trend? Especially if you’re located in EU too, thanks!

I have a package coming from Canada that arrived in customs a day after shipping it and cleared within a day. With International First Class service too, not International Priority. Also had a two first class packages get delivered to the west coast addresses after shipping Saturday from Michigan. If anything it seems like processing is faster than ever after the holidays.

Yeah, I guess it’s a different process for items coming from Canada. As far as I’m aware all the items shipped from here arrive and are first processed at the JFK international airport before moving further.

I shipped registered letters at the start of December and it usually only took 2-3 business days to get processed/updated in the US. Now it has taken 2-3 weeks for multiple packages shipped on separate days and nothing. I’m not too worried yet, but it’s still little bit frustrating trying to explain the situation to multiple customers demanding updates / refunds.

@emba
I have major issue going on and ofc it happens to be Secret Santa gift. Shipped 9th of December, left Finland 11th of December and still no signs in USPS tracking system… :sweat:

I shipped a tracked package to the US yesterday. I’ll keep an eye on it to see how long will that take. So we can see if it’s just Finnish issue or something else…

My lates shipment to USA shows…
Processed Through Facility
Helsinki 6d 5h ago. No information since that…
Edit: Posti, tracked letter.

New UPU ruling taking effect already maybe?

My secret santa gift left Germany on 23rd Dec. and hasn’t been processed yet.

From UK to USA (California):

Shipped out 3rd January
Delivered 9th January

Royal Mail International Tracked Shipping

Thanks for the replies guys! It’s “good” to see that I’m not the only one with such big delays, I hope all of the packages you have shipped arrives to the recipients sooner or later and they aren’t actually lost during transit or anything like that.

I also just remembered that I had similar delays with all US shipments back in 2017 Dec/ 2018 Jan, and Finland post even had an official announcement on their website regarding it:

“Handling of international mail at JFK airport in New York is currently experiencing a heavy backlog. The backlog will delay mail delivery from Finland to the United States. Unfortunately, our Customer Service cannot see any further information on the shipments and is unable to expedite the mail delivery.”

It might be a similar case again. ^

3 Likes

Shipped something from europe to TX on the 23rd of december, arrived yesterday in the US. Normally it takes like 3 days, so there´s definitely some delays going on for non-us packages.

www.elitefourum.com/t/new-universal-postal-union-upu-international-mail-rulings/25415/1

“Your item is on it’s way to the destination country”

Now we wait…

Just letting you know that one of my packages which was also shipped on 9th December finally arrived…

1 Like

Update: my shipment left Finland exactly a week ago and still has no updates on tracking.

Gotta throw update here as well, the package I was talking about earlier has finally reached target after 7 weeks.

2 Likes

Any other update?

In the past, Netherlands → USA took 7-10 days, my shipment of the 14th got confirmed yesterday for it’s arrival. Give or take a few days, but that’s easily a doubling of the lowest estimated delivery time.

Is this just a result of the new UPU rules, the USA doing more rules or the USPS just overloaded?

So the priority mail I sent 05.01.2020
Finaly delivered to US/TX 31.01
It left Finland 08.01 and first update in the US was 26.01 (It never have been that slow)
I also did sent few parcels on January to the US and they got delivered status in 8-14days
I also sent priority mail to Australia it left Finland 18.01, no updates since that, but the buyer claims he has not received it. (I did read Austarial’s mail stantards and it looks like they don’t track priority mails/letters??) Some one can confirm that?

Tracked letters inside the EU area have been delivered inside the normal time frame.
So about the New UPU rules, I still don’t know If they have effect or not.

1 Like

@genosha
I’d like to say USPS is overloaded with incoming mail, however the purchases I did in January have mostly left USA in time. Odd phenomenon but there’s first time for everything.