First Edition Team Rocket is an Undervalued Set!

I’ve never understood why All of the First edition Team Rocket Holos in PSA 10 are surprisingly affordable. I think in the coming years, the set will grow in price, as less product will be available. What are your opinions on this?

2 Likes

There was A LOT printed and a LOT was still available sealed in the last 3 years

High supply, lower demand than jungle/fossil = lower prices

6 Likes

As always, it’s about supply and demand.

In comparison to later sets like the Neo sets, there is far more supply of 1st edition Team Rocket because this set was a followup to the original 3 sets where sales were extremely high so there were a lot of 1st edition Team Rocket booster boxes that were produced.

In comparison to earlier sets like Jungle and Fossil, there isn’t as much demand. Many people think of Base, Jungle, and Fossil as the original run of the series because that’s where you’ll find all of the Gen 1 rookie cards. By the time Team Rocket came along, we were getting the first of many re-runs for the original Pokemon. I myself am one of those people who decided to only collect PSA 10 1st edition Base, Jungle, and Fossil cards for this very reason.

Having said that, I think Team Rocket is a really cool set, it’s still a set many people have nostalgia for, and it features great artwork! So there will definitely be a market for those cards.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I do love love the Team Rocket set, and I do think the fact that it was the first set to feature “Dark” cards makes it somewhat unique, but the fact that there are no rookie cards combined with the fact that many of the species (Arbok, Slowbro, Vileplume, Hypno, Weezing, etc.) that landed holos in this set just aren’t very popular species in general lessens its overall luster.

For that reason (and for the fact that it’s also easier to grade), it will never have the appeal of Base/Jungle/Fossil (or the Neo sets), but it certainly has its place in Pokemon history, if not for its uniqueness, then based on its incredible artwork alone. It is a WOTC set, after all.

1 Like

If you look at the number of graded cads there are more 10’s I think for Dark Charizard than for Blaine’s Charizard. That’s just one example, but the cards also a little on the weaker side in terms of damage output and hp, which as a kid was why I was not as interested. It certainly will grow in the market, but high volume of product is the main reason why it’s being kept down still I think.

1 Like

I get the most inquires to buy people’s team rocket 1st ed boxes. Seem like endless amount.

2 Likes

Scarcity drives the market price and I think First Edition team rocket is just too common.

1 Like

Sweet gold wizard stamped dark charmeleon! You dont really ever hear or see much about that card like at all!

How about those Kizuki trainers! I get so much enjoyment out of opening my team rocket binder. I spend more time with the non holos. Holos are great too!

1 Like

@mikejofthecoast, Thanks!! I think the last time I heard anything about that card was in a video made by @smpratte

1 Like