Favorite Studio Ghibli Film

Wish I could upvote this twice. I’ve only seen it once but I still think about at random times.

The first Studio Ghibli movie I remember seeing was Totoro. I was probably like 4 or 5 and I remember seeing a giant “cat” on the cover at Blockbuster so I got my parents to rent it for me. I rewatched it a few years ago and it was okay, but I know I enjoyed it much more when I was little.

As an adult I’d say that Spirited Away is my favorite. I enjoy rewatching it whenever. At some point I even had a cat named Chihiro and I had a WoW character named after Sen.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen a few, but it will have to be Ponyo, my kid loves this movie and we’ve watched it multiple times. It’s such a great fun loving film :blush:

2 Likes

It’s Nauricaä for me, like said it’s technically not Ghibli movie but i think it forms a strong foundation for Ghibli and Miyazaki films so will always consider it part of the entirety :slight_smile: but so many others that are just top tier and will eventually watch them all again when kid grows up a bit (well perhaps not grave of the fireflies). Also Totoro was one of the first films i saw as a kid so it’ll always have a special place in my heart, i made a lot of drawings of it too that i’m glad my parents saved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I never cry at films but Fireflies makes me cry

1 Like

Nausicaä is one of my favourites, and especially if you read the manga as it expands on everything further than the film. A great world and setting. Grave of the Fireflies is definitely a tough one to watch.

2 Likes

From Up on Poppy Hill because I used to work around where that film was set ! But Miyazaki Goro is a bit of a hack lol

Looks like studio Ghibli collaborated with Lucas films and produced a Grogu short on Disney+

Maybe Ghibli and Pokémon next :crossed_fingers:

So prior to seeing this thread, I had never watched a Studio Ghibli film.

I figured I would start with the highest voted, Spirited Away, and boy I’ve been missing out. That was easily one of my favourite animated movies. I’m going to watch another tonight. I think Grave of the Fireflies might be too heavy for a Sunday so I’ll save it for next weekend.

Thanks for making this thread!

6 Likes

Watch one a day or one per week and your life will change for the better! :smiley:

2 Likes