Farewell - Update on goals

Hello friends, fellow collectors and everyone else,

I suppose this post is a long time in the making (there were several people who knew or at least had an idea this was coming). The first thing I’d like to say is thank you all for the last 5 years. Pokemon, collecting, hunting, trading, selling, running a store and most of the conversations have made up such a huge part of my life during those years. I’ve learned so much and you’ve all helped me grow. Thank you all for everything.

Where should I start? Like many of you, I got my start playing the video game. I have a lot of vivid memories, mostly frustration about having to find batteries for the early generation. I can clearly recall the start menu on my pokemon gold having over 200 hours. countless hours spent running in fields hoping to find a larvatar or pupitar and not damn ursaring. Tyranitar is bae, tyranitar life and tyranitar is love haha. I played variations of the games over the years and even went back to play the older versions. I picked up the game again during a job overseas where I had broken my foot. My package got stuck on a boat and took 30 days to get overseas. During the time I was waiting for my new DS and pokemon games to arrive I started looking up pokemon and pokemon collectibles. I came across Primetime Pokemon and SMGquest. I originally wanted to get a few of my favorite cards to make a poster board for my wall and hang them next to my variant comic book covers. Over the course of the deployment i kept buying more and more cards. This was around 2012 and I started to really enjoy it. Then came my surgery for my foot and all the follow on issues.

I used to be a very physically active, outgoing and adventurous person. This injury, the surgery, and the amount of complications given by the military made my recovery less than adequate(torn tendon, shaved bone to fix, broken to angle up). At first walking or standing for longer than 10 minutes left my feet in a lot of pain and swelling. It made it very difficult to even participate in what i used to do and the pain sapped the fun out of any activities I could do. It eventually took me about 2-2 1/2 years to be able to walk, hike and even run without much pain. I’ve learned to take ownership of the fact that I still could have done something during these last few years. Being extremely sedentary with all these injuries has made the road to full duty difficult, but not impossible. As soon as one injury healed or got stronger, either another injury would flare or some yet unknown weakness would break. I’m glad to say that I am doing much better. The reason I saying all of this is not for any sort of sympathy. I want you to all know what pokemon, collection and being part of this community has helped me through. I was not the best version of myself during this time. Partly, I used this hobby and community as a way to avoid dealing with all the issues in my life. From this I’d like you all to take away that you never know what someone else is going through, so be kind to those you meet, offer a friendly smile or kind words. You never know how much it could mean.

I have several reasons for selling off my collection. The first of which is monetary. I am currently in my 4th year of undergraduate with another year left. My goal is to get into a DPT (doctorate of physical therapy school) and they require their own pre-requisites outside of the BS. It takes about 5-6 years for most to be able apply except for the few rigorous schools that have it set up as a 7 year direct pipeline. I am trying to pay off any debt that I have so I can get loans for DPT program and even a little help at the end of this 5 year B.S. My other reasons are that as I am getting physically healthy, I am working on the mental, social and spiritual strength and health that I lost during those times I was injured. Some of these goals are lofty, other are selfish and other things I feel I need to do to regain what I’ve lost.

My two biggest goals are to own my dream car and to help rebuild and unite my family. These are dreams that I’ve had for so long and I feel that now is the time. This year feels like a turning point in my life. I no longer have the time to invest in pokemon and to be honest seeing my cards started to remind me of the things I neglected. Balance is healthy in life and I hope that my future direction will have it. There are other hobbies that I’ve stopped doing and I miss it.

Why I went with PWCC? They offer the biggest visibility, they same fee if I were to sell it myself while doing nothing more than filling out paperwork & shipping. I don’t have the time to organize, list and ship 515 pokemon cards. I know that cards under $50 or 100 have an added fee of $5-6 plus a %. I understand I could have sold them myself. However, I believe overall I will get at least the same amount of money. I also went with PWCC due to stress that is involved with selling this many cards. DPT school is very competitive and I need to keep getting A’s to make myself stand out. I understand there are several draw backs to the way the current auction is set up.

Originally I had shipped my orders to them in groups. Group A to G/F. They were organized according to series and types. Group B was all the secret rares. Group A was all the higher end PSA 10 ex. Group C was all the Full Arts etc. I wanted to have each group on it’s own day spread out over 3 weeks. PWCC has days allotted to types of cards and years. Had I spread it out the only option would be half now and half in a month. What it comes down to is that this was the best decision for me given the options. Early last year I had car trouble and that’s why i finally started selling things. I wanted to do it all with PWCC however I needed a car ASAP and I sold some stuff on my own. The car still doesnt work and I’m out $4500 plus another $3k+ for school. Doing that small auction on my own solidified my desire to use PWCC to manage this huge collection.

There is much more going on, but this covers a large portion of the story. I hope it helps you all to understand what has been going on for me over the years and what this hobby has meant to me during that time. I still have several Tyranitars (especially the newer ones and my 1st ed discovery psa 10). If anyone wants to chat just message me. I will be leaving my IG and YT up.

¡Gracias por todo mis amigos!

Michael Parr

44 Likes

Sad to see you’re leaving the hobby but that’s all it is really, a hobby. There are more important things in life and I hope you reach your goals man!

6 Likes

Best of luck in your future endeavors. Two questions if you don’t mind me asking.

What is the dream car?
Are you hanging on to any 1 card or a small handful of cards as keepsakes?

2 Likes

Good luck with your future plans, it was always nice to check your newest collection updates & youtube videos and for sure you were one the finest sellers/traders out there.

Come back some day please? :blush:

1 Like

Good luck :blush:

I think it’s a good time to sell with PWCC, Pokemon go is popular still (but declining, so that audience will phase away later, so they may buy now), alot of the cards you are selling still retain low populations currently, and demand is high.

You’ll be laughing to the bank soon.

take it easy.

1 Like

You’ll be back…:smirk:

5 Likes

Good Luck Mike! Glad you took the time to share this publicly. Also sounds like PWCC was the best route. They are set up for exactly what you need, and I think you will get a good return.

Hopefully years later, when you have achieved your goals, you google “pokemon cards”, and google says "did you mean log into efour, and get back in the game! ". :blush:

Good luck man, feel free to pop in whenever!

6 Likes

I’ve thought about it that but after I get my degree.

1 Like

1968 Corvette. I posted about this car over a year ago on my IG. I wanted to build it with my dad but he’s much older now and not as physically up to it.

I planned to hold onto all my tyranitar cards but my auctions are ending later than I planned. I need to pay off my tuition so I sold a few. I have both ex series ex ultra, 1st Ed neo discovery and the XY cards. A fee others as well I’m holding onto. Plus my hulk cards.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your contribution to the hobby.
I always enjoyed watching your youtube videos of your unique collection (ex series are the best!). I hope you’ll be back one day in the distant future.
Good luck with everything :blush:
Cheers

1 Like

I hope so too. Things haven’t gone as I originally planned. I wanted to pass this onto my kids along with my other collections. I don’t have kids at lol. I would like to buy a bunch of collectibles down the road for a game room. Especially if I have kids.

1 Like

All the best of luck to you! Loved watching your vid’s and your collection. Hope that you archieve your goals, and maybe we will see you again sometime!

1 Like

great collection and collector, I hope you do well in life. I’ll be sure to pick up a few of the auctioned cards :blush:

sad to see you go you and gemmint was why i started collecting cant wait until your back

A 1968 Corvette? Loved the grill on those. I was 14 when they came out;)

As you know, e4 is a community of friendship with a common bond…Pokemon. Its members may have large or small collections but the emotions are 100% the same. Regardless of where your collection stands you are still a friend and staying in touch is kinda an obligation:)
So keep us all abreast of your progress with your career goals but keep in mind, life is simply something that happens while we stockpile memories, and there’s a lot of those packed into the last 5 years.
Love ya man…

4 Likes

My best wishes to you buddy. It’s respectable that you are able to make decisions for yourself that you see as best even if that means letting go of a part of your life you’ve enjoyed. I hope you achieve the things you are shooting for and I’m glad the money will be well spent. Physical therapy is a great career choice. I’m sure your efforts in the field will be much appreciated by those in need. Definitely share your progress with the community, especially the vette!

1 Like

Thank you. Just as my old hobbies are making a come back, I’m sure pokemon will make a comeback in my life.
No hope here. Hard work and determination. I will make these goals happen.

1 Like

I will come back. I’ve had a lot go on in my life in the last 9 months.
I’m sure once things calm down I will be able to return to the forums
and other social media every now and then.

Thank you. This is the best thing to hear for me as a fellow collector.
I got my start from others. We come and go, but along the way we hope
we spark that collecting fire in others.

thats ok didnt collect the same as you or gemmint but both i watch your returns and collection grows and thought i would to do something like that