FAKE Charizard Prerelease Staff stamp

Personally find it hard to believe this. One Staff card inverted stamp just NOW coming out? Even when they were released they were crazy popular and being sold left and right. No other evolution staff cards have been found with an inverted stamp, it seems really odd.

1 Like

If they don’t know them (psa) what is false and what is true then authentication or evaluation is subjective of us users

This along with the fact the stamp just doesnt jive is what sways me away from this one. Got to figure the hands these cards fell into when they were released you’d expect this to have popped up long ago. And where there is one there is likely multiples. Seeing no others previously, stamp alignment and the thickness of the stamp is enough red lights for me.

@kami2014 PSA I would trust to identify the card as legitimate. But I don’t believe they have the tools or knowledge to identify the stamp as being legitimate.

All this brings up another concern to me. If this is fake, then the likelihood of convincing fake STAFF stamped zards is very high, which sucks.

As Nate mentioned above, PSA’s opinion is primarily on the authenticity of the card.

My main concern is the stamp pressure. The top photo is the standard stamp, the bottom is the stamp from op:

I have a few mis-aligned stamps, and the pressure on the stamp does not change:

4 Likes

I’m leaning toward this being fake, especially after what Scott said above. It doesn’t make sense for this to be coming out a year and a half after Evolutions first released.

Comparing the two photos it’s a no brainer, this looks like an obvious fake. Look at the length/thickness in the lower dash of each F between the two photos. It’s subtle but there is a clear difference. There’s also lack of a gap in the A.

Now take all these points and couple it with the fact that this justsohappened to be on a Charizard and not on any other staff cards
ever. I hope you didn’t pay much :confused:

I’m also leaning fake. They would somehow manage to get the XY Evolutions correct, but not the staff stamp? Super fake.

Even if you managed to get it in a PSA case, I wouldn’t touch it with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.

2 Likes

After looking over more examples, I am not sure if the coloring is correct either. A few people recently messaged me about a fake stamped copy in Italy. Apparently the seller adds stamps and auto pens cards. Below are examples of real staff zards vs the apparent fake stamp. There are noticeable differences in the style and color:

Here are a couple real examples:

Here are the Italian suspect examples:

Here is a side by side of the real and suspected fake:

@smpratte That upside down STAFF looks even more legit than that one from Italy
 Is it me, or do the golden letters also use wider stripes? Not to mention the color is just way off

As for the upside down STAFF, I think it’s fake as well. It’s not that badly done, but in the close-ups Scott made above of real vs that upside down you can clearly see the differences. And although a non-removed part inside the ‘A’ happens a lot on Yu-Gi-Oh cards, it doesn’t happen all that often on PokĂ©mon stamped cards (then again, there are way more stamped Yu-Gi-Oh cards (since all holo cards except for Super Rares have stamped names) then PokĂ©mon stamped cards
).

Greetz,
Quuador

What about a 40 foot pole?

After checking the IP address, this is the same guy with the fake stamped charizard on ebay.

Also, according to @hazard24 the same individual is creating fake sugimori signed cards. Whenever @hazard24 gets on again, they can share the photos.

Needless to say, this stamp is complete garbage. What a waste of a perfectly good prerelease charizard.

4 Likes

Just another sad attempt at someone trying to make a quick buck

1 Like

Wait, fake sugimori cards, WTF

the speech is becoming interesting

It’s now trash.
Nice job, person.

1 Like

The signed cards are, in my opinion, evident fakes made with an autopen. If you don’t know what an autopen is, you can find a lot of information about autopen generated autographs on google and on youtube. It’s a well known phenomenon among sport or politic memorabilia collectors, so it’s not something invented by this specific seller.
He’s been quite crafty and produced three different patterns for his signatures, cause one of the issues with autopen stuff is that they’re all exactly the same.
However, they all can be tracked back to some of the first results you can find on google images when you search “Ken Sugimori signature/autograph”, I found them with 2 minutes of browsing, they all share a white clean background, which obviously makes the work pretty easy.
Me and a friend of mine tried to quickly make some photoshop comparisons to make it easier to see, but your eyes are the best proof, you can definitely see that they are perfectly superimposable.
Venusaur and Blaine’s Charizard share the same pattern of this Nintendo DS, for example. I’ve seen another card with the exact same signature as the Blastoise, a Dark Charizard to be precise. I don’t remember where I’ve seen it

Charizard is trickier, cause he repositioned the kanji and the western signatures a bit, so they don’t perfectly line up with the source material. They’re just the same as the original, tho, they can be overlapped quite easily as you can see.

Venusaur comes from this piece, I had no time to make a photoshopped comparison, but you can see it yourself without any problem
www.ebay.it/itm/KEN-SUGIMORI-ORIGINAL-AUTOGRAPH-POKEMON-HAND-SIGNED-SHIKISHI-PIKACHU-VICTINI-/191989026723

It’s quite sad that psa was tricked by this kind of thing, but I can see why it happened, they’re really well done. I don’t want to imagine how many Arita’s signatures will be faked, cause he recently produced thousands of autographs, so tracking the specific source of the autopen ones will be pretty much impossible.
Hope it can help!

11 Likes

@thitaniumprince: Thank you so much your post, I’m starting to dabble into autographed cards, so this was really helpful!

You’re a mean one!

2 Likes

Another one just surfaced.
Be aware

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Charizard-Staff-Prerelease-STAFF-STAMP-ERROR-11-108-NM-More-than-RARE/264236828345?hash=item3d85be06b9:g:ZEMAAOSwaAtciF1A

Im down if your down, I would love for everyone to put an offer for 1 cent so this person if overwhelmed w/ amazing offers.

1 Like