Fake cards or different print?

I was going through some of my old cards from when I was a kid, and I came across a handful of unlimited base set cards that look slightly different from the rest.

It’s hard to describe, but the card stock is different - smoother and more matte than the rest of the Wizards cards I’ve seen. If you glint light off of them, it mostly highlights the darker parts - which makes me suspicious because it reminds me of an inkjet photo printer or something, rather than the uniform sheen these cards normally have. But the weight and thickness seem perfect, and they don’t have any of the other telltale signs of being fake.

I took a couple pictures but they didn’t really capture it, so the best I could do is a .gif of the light reflecting off them. Normal card on the left, weird one on the right:

imgur.com/PisCJHO

Does anyone know of any English base set cards that were printed like this, or are they just really convincing fakes?

I know this is kind of a boring question since there aren’t any valuable cards hanging in the balance (oh no muh base set commons) - but I was curious since I don’t want to hold onto fakes or throw away genuine cards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I couldn’t tell any difference by the pic but maybe ones just faded out?
Unlikely you’d find a good fake of a penny card.

1 Like

Good point, if someone could make fakes this well, they’d be printing something else.

They’re definitely not just faded because the card stock is different, but I’ll assume they’re real - thanks for the input guys!