Fake Cards Identification: Really Good Non holo Japanese Fakes?

I encounted a person through facebook messages that claims that they want to do a local trade with me. However after looking at some of the slabs carefully, I noticed that they are definitely fake. I was able to tell that the holo sheen looked off for some of the graded cards and the cert font was just ever so slightly off in spacing and the 0 in the 10, but I can’t tell if the raw cards they offered for trade are real.

I am pretty sure the espeon and acerola slabs are fake but the cramorant font seems to line up with the PSA scans, but its also non holo so it makes it even easier to fake.

Is there any guide on identifying fakes for non holo japanese promos? I have seem some pretty good van gogh pikachu fakes online and I still haven’t figured out how to tell the fakes aside from the white info card.

1 Like

This stuff terrifies me.

I know Chinese collectors typically stay away from ungraded scream promos (probably stamp box cards also) as they are considered so easy to fake.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Stamp Box Pikachu and the Scream promos are fake; if you take a look at the PROMO symbol at the bottom left, you notice it’s not really clear and rather ‘faded.’ Also, other text (for example Illus.Mitsuhiro Arita, copyright at the bottom of the card) is ‘blurry.’ And the same can be said about the energy symbol next to 弱点 (Weakness), which doesn’t look right to me either.
If you compare the cards being offered (left) to authentic copies (I’ve used pictures taken from eBay; right), the differences are noticeable:

Add images

Add images

I’m not as sure about Red’s Pikachu and the Poncho-wearing Eevees, but they too look fake to me (again: PROMO symbol, Illus., copyright).

The Cramorant seems to be fake, I’m not really an expert on PSA slabs, but if I compare it to PSA’s scan, the slab that’s being offered to you (and the card inside) looks a bit off (Cramorant being offered on the left, PSA’s scan on the right):

Add images

Add images

I’ve been trying to properly align the pictures for a good 10 minutes, I hope this looks a little better! :joy:

6 Likes

I see how the cramorant is off now too. They got the font right this time but the numbers don’t line up near the edge of the label like the scan.

Thats crazy how close it looks now though.

Are the poncho eevee promos possibly real though?

Im really hoping this guy just accidently got some fakes but at this point he’s got way too many to be innocent.

The pictures are quite vague, so I would definitely ask for more photos.
But I’d be surprised if the Poncho-wearing Eevees were real, given that the other cards are fake.

Not real. When the holo pattern matches public images you have a problem

10 Likes

Good catch! So it looks like its just a scrape of the public image plus some printing, so it would look really fake in person because the holo wouldnt move.