Fair price Japanese collection 6000 cards 1000 foil/holo

Hi All,

Just got back into the hobby and after buying a couple booster packs and small lots I got an offer for a bigger lot that I find hard to put a value on myself. So I’m looking for some opinions :grin:

I’m looking to buy an all Japanese collection but don’t know what’s a fair price. It’s about 6000 cards mostly modern 2008 and upwards. There are 1000 Foil/holo/reverse and 5000 regular cards, there are rares and promo’s also in there for both (regular and Foil/holo/reverse) and it seems not sorted to much, of course also commons and uncommons but the balance is there to make me think its not sorted out, there are also modern first editions in there. The cards have been kept unsleeved in cardboard boxes, I would say most are good/light play condition.

What do you guys think is a fair price for a lot like this? Cheers and thanks in advance!

1 Like

That’s a very broad description of “what’s on the bag”.

Are there any pics you can provide se we can get a better idea?

@crushingame,No pictures yet unfortunately I’m gonna drop by tomorrow and check it all out. Is there a bottom and top price I should keep in mind in general for this amount of Japanese regular and Holo? I tried to compare with the lowest bulk prices on Trollandtoad but those are English cards of course…

Without knowing what the cards are it’s literally impossible to guess a value. Ballpark between $5 and $13,000. If it’s just bulk that doesn’t matter, card shops usually purchase for <5 cents a card for 100+ I think?

Very hard to tell a price without knowing what kind of cards they are. Potentially could be a gold mine or a land mine.

2 Likes

English is primarily the go to with most.

It’s all gonna be about the quality as well imo unless you plan on donating them all lol. Just because there’s 6,000 cards, they could be junk. Who knows.

6000 quality cards? Then you get the blood flowing. You’ll know once you’re anxiety levels creep up there if it’s worth it or not. Unless you take anxiety medication like myself then there’s that…

Just try to take some pics of what you can if allowed. Can’t wait to hear or see!

Questions like this, no one can answer. You will be able to determine if this collection is worth it to you. 5000 regular/common cards doesn’t seem tempting to me, feels more like bulk that is going to sit.

Questions to ask yourself:

Are the cards “worth” it to you? (value/sentimental wise)
Collecting for investment purposes?
What are the conditions of the cards?
Is the seller trustworthy and are their any fakes?

I am sure their are many more questions but that is all I can think of right now…

Something worth taking into account is that there’s a niche American market for playable Japanese cards from vintage formats. My roommate recently built some Japanese 2010 decks and I know some cards were an absolute bitch to find, for seemingly no reason. Of course we’re not talking about “valuable” cards in the context of this board, but I bet you can sell off some of the random “bulk” cards for like $5/ea if you find a buyer.

Also, 2008 is hardly “modern” anymore… I personally think DP-era holos are pretty hot and an underrated collector’s item, English or Japanese.

If you’re talking about modern holo’s and reverse holo’s they are almost worthless. A few cents a piece. I would not be interested in any Japanese deals unless it’s Wotc Holo’s, exclusive promos, or trophy cards which I don’t collect.

Even if it was English can you name even one holo released in the past 5-7 years that’s worth more then $5?

1 Like

Picked it all up today. First sorted the vintage from the recent ones. Of course I recognized these:

But for the other my knowledge is limited. You guys see anything that stands out?

Will start sorting the rest later cheers!

1 Like

A fun one I found during the sorting :grin:

1 Like

do yourself a favor and buy 6,000 penny sleeves and start sleeving ;p