Exponential Technology Trend and Counterfeiting

can’t wait for the ai advanced technology perfect printing. Just gonna go straight for hundred dollar bills, forget the trading cards

5 Likes

Exactly. Why bother counterfitting some charizards in twenry years if the techs so good u could do anything. Heck art forging has been a problem for centuries with much larger capital gains than pokemon cards could ever think of attaining.

The AI will be almost unable to learn. You need a big sample size that are not duplicates, so the AI can learn the differences between printing, ink, foils etc. It’s almost impossible to find a big sample size of ungraded First Edition Charizards in PSA9-10 quality to let the AI gather enough information, only until it can 80% sure spot the Charizard, you can add lower quality ones (like PSA7 or lower) so it can learn about scratches not being print defects or results of print faking.
Machine learning and AI is nice, but you need to much samples to for the system to learn what it is doing. And I doubt people like Gary will crack open all their PSA10 Zards just for this.

1 Like

I have seen Rudy make a couple of videos on the fake MTG cards and some look very convincing to my untrained eye outside general design aesthetics. With some of those MTG fakes I could easily see myself being duped but not once have I ever seen a Pokemon fake even come close to even 50% real.

Rudy compared the fake MTG cards to the real and they were almost identical, which is hard to do side by side. With Pokemon cards there is no fake out there that would come close to a side by side test. I would say it would be as close to impossible to recreate the Pokemon holographic with any success.

I don’t see it ever being an issue with pokemon. Especially vintage because you just can’t recreate a card stock from 20+ years ago and they will never get the foiling completely correct. When it comes to MTG the bigger issue is modern product. It’s much easier to recreate these modern cards than the old paper stock and trick people. The players who are interested in buying ABU cards, and the like, know better. They’re experienced and know what to look for. The new guys just wanting to play FNM don’t.

i would guess you’d be able to date stuff like you can paintings to see when they were printed and whatnot anyway

1 Like

The MTG fakes are not even remotely close. Touching them for one second you know, and if you really want 2 second with a jewlers loop and it isn’t a question

2 Likes

The issue with fakes is that you can easily dupe new and inexperienced collectors, not people like us.

The malicious intent doesn’t come from manufacturers because you’d have to print thousands of cards to make it worth your time and money, rather people who pick up the fakes and move them to unsuspecting victims.

1 Like

Absolutely true that the target for fakes is people who don’t know better. But that wasn’t really what this thread was about, it was whether fakes could be made exactly as the real thing. Which they cannot, and are hundreds of miles apart

Ugh, if only someone would create fake Japanese L3 Unlimited RH Voltorbs so I can fill the ugly space in my collection until I find a real one lol