EX-series reverse holo rarity question

Does anyone know exactly how rarity functioned with reverse holos during the EX-era? There are a few questions I have about it that I can’t find the answers to anywhere (‘reverse holo’ will be abbreviated as RH from here on out):

1. What are the relative likelihoods of pulling an RH common vs. an RH uncommon vs. an RH rare vs. an RH holo rare?

Is it similar to how it works with MTG foils? For instance, each MTG pack contains 9 commons, 3 uncommons and 1 rare. And some packs contain a foil, which function just like reverse holos – any card in the set can be pulled in foil version. Foil pull rates mirror how rare the non-foils are – the pull ratio is 9:3:1, for common, uncommon, and rare foils, respectively. Do RHs function according to the equivalent ratio for Pokemon rarity distribution?

1. Is the chance of pulling a RH holo rare lower than pulling a RH regular rare? Based on the rarity of distribution of non-RH cards, one would expect RH regular rares to be 3x more common than RH holo rares. But this does NOT appear to be the case based on the pull rates I’ve observed.

2. Are the pull rates adjusted according to the number of different cards at each rarity in a set? For instance, EX Sandstorm has 14 different holo rares in the set and EX Dragon has 12 different holo rares in the set. Is your chance of pulling any RH holo rare the same for the two sets? Or is your chance of pulling a given RH holo rare the same for the two sets? If the latter, then the pull rates are determined, in part, by the distribution of cards at the different rarity levels in sets. If the former, then the RH pull rates are determined solely according to rarity and not according to the number of unique cards at each level of rarity in a specific set.

Does anyone know the answers to any of these questions? Anyone’s input is much appreciated!

1 Like

AFAIK the reverse holo, for every set that has had reverse holos since Legendary Collection, is completely random and the same level of randomness regardless of rarity.

If an ex series set has 105 cards, of which 10 are holofoils, 20 are rares, 30 are uncommons, 40 are commons, and 5 are ex…

Odds of any given reverse: 1:100 (105 - 5 ex)
Odds of a reverse rare holo: 1:10
Odds of reverse regular rare: 2:10
Odds of reverse uncommon: 3:10
Odds of reverse common: 4:10

3 Likes

As far as I understand exactly what qwachansey said is what I currently thought was true.

Awesome; thank you! This is what I was starting to suspect. I originally thought it worked like it did in MTG, but RH rares/holo rares were being pulled so frequently that I had to wonder…