EX Series Pull Rates vs. Value of Sealed Product

Hello friends,

My apologies if the answers to my question are easily available elsewhere.   

I am currently working on collecting a complete set of PSA 9-10 ex-era "old school" ex cards. Obviously there is variance in the scarcity/demand of different ex sets, and therefore a variance in price points from set to set (i.e. power keepers vs. TR Returns), But I'm just trying to find the most economical way to find all of these ex cards in potentially gem condition across the board.  

In today’s market, is it more feasible to bust open ex boxes when card condition vs. price is most important aspect? (without looking at potential for profit from resale) I’m not looking to flip anything per say, just collect gem quality cards.

Or should I be geared more toward finding deals on already graded 10 cards? I’ve pretty much ruled out buying booster packs due to the 99% chance that they are weighed. I can trust no one, not even myself.

Real time example- I have an Unseen Forces box in my possession, I know Gem Lugias, Umbreons, and Celebis will rake in $100-$200 at least. What are the odds I pull 3 ex’s from an ex series box? And even if I did, would it be worth the price of an ex box? I’m not even concerned with gold stars, that’s just a plus. I’ve seen a few openings of this box, some didn’t even pull a gold star, some pulled 4 ex’s and a gold star. The age old sealed product question: Is the box as a whole economically greater than the sum of its parts?
W h a t s h o u l d I d o ?

tldr;
Have old ex Unseen Forces booster box, want gem oldschool ex’s, would it be wiser to sell the box and use money to straight out buy psa 10 ex’s or crack box open for those sweet, sweet pulls?

Thanks a bunch.

Go for already graded cards IMO.

Ex Series Sealed Product is already very expensive, and should retain its value nicely over time. I think the boxes will be a hit or a more likely a miss, the second those Ex cards get a PSA 9, you lost big time.

Not all pack fresh cards grade a 10. Go for the already graded.

Edit: The gold stars in this set is worth less than some of the ex’s due to the infamous saturation of these gold stars from a dutch guy.

Thanks

I figured as much. Makes sense but I just needed someone to talk me out of the temptation of opening an old box. :laughing:

Dont open the old sealed box!!! If you do the eye hole man will come out and steal your eye holes…because only he can have eye holes.

Not worth the risk bro!

Right now there is a huge disparity between the value of EX Series sealed boxes and the value of the cards that come out of them. As has been said earlier the best thing to do would be to sell the box and use the money to buy the cards already in PSA 10. Especially with Unseen Forces and the whole gold star debacle…

I’m firmly of the opinion that if you’re going to collect the old ex cards, you should do it now. Like immediately. Prices are already starting to rise and I think we’ll be seeing these get even higher over the next few years.

2 Likes

Don’t open it. Plenty of people who open these boxes are sorely disappointed afterward.

Great example happened with me, I bought 12 ex team rocket returns packs for a total of $90 in late 2012. In 2013 I opened 3 packs and got a Rockets moltress ex, even if it graded 10 back then, compared to the value of packs, I wouldn’t really make money. By the way, the card was an 8 at best.
At worlds that year I traded 2 of the packs for a regirock gold star and some other smaller stuff. Graded it and got a 10 luckily, I was expecting a 9

By today’s prices, 2 ex TRR packs would cost about the same as that regirock if graded PSA 9, and while GS and sealed packs will go up in price, with that Already graded card, you have a guarantee, the guy pulled a holo rocket slowbro out of the pack, at best a PSA 9. That is realistic though, shouldn’t expect all 10’s, even if it’s the crispest box.