ex series print sizes?

I have been saying for a long time holos from those sets are stupid undervalued, even made a whole video on it. The price difference between WOTC e series holos vs Nintendo e series holos is absolutely staggering.

3 Likes

Honestly, I think even the 1st Edition print runs of all WotC sets (besides Base) were larger than EX-series print runs. And it’s not entirely clear to me that the 1st Edition Base print run was much smaller than that of a set like TMTA (which, going solely off the numbers, had the smallest print run of any EX-series set).

4 Likes

This line is really important. Somehow gen 4 didn’t stick with me as much as 1, 2, and 3

However, in terms of actual sales, Diamond and Pearl outperformed Ruby and Sapphire:(https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/sword\_and\_shield\_are\_now\_the\_best-selling\_pokemon\_games\_since\_gold\_and\_silver)

Which is interesting to me, since lvl Xs are still super affordable. And that was a set that came out in 2009, so I’m sure not a lot of product was opened then either

Maybe the remake for gen 3 helped to reinforce its popularity across collectors of different ages, who would go for the original gen 3 set when the time comes

2 Likes

I’d rather own an ex deoxys/holon phantoms/TRR/Delta Species/dragon frontiers/crystal guardians box than a base/fossil/jungle box

5 Likes

sounds like youre not alone

Well, all those boxes are worth more than the Base/Fossil/Jungle boxes, with the exception of Crystal Guardians vs. Base Set.

Personally, I would fucking kill to have a Delta Species box. I stupidly opened one ~6-7 years ago, though it was only $500 or so at the time, so it didn’t feel like a big deal. I don’t even want to know what a box would go for nowadays. Probably would pass $10k if it were auctioned. The fact that Base Unlimited boxes are worth comparable amounts to some of the better EX-series booster boxes is just astonishing to me. Base is so much more popular, but we’re also talking about a 5 figure amount of sealed Base boxes still in existence vs. any given EX-series booster box almost certainly having less than 500 still sealed. If there were more than 150 sealed EX Deoxys boxes left in the world, I’d be pretty shocked. The rarity of these things is just so fucking nuts.

Like, if there are 100 EX Deoxys boxes left (which is a plausible number, though the actual number is probably between 50 and 500), how many are not in permanent collections? How many actually could hit the market at this point? There are probably only a few dozen EX Deoxys boxes that are in the hands of collectors that would even consider selling.

This is why I think EX-series booster boxes are relatively safe investments. Even if 99% of Pokemon card collectors dropped dead today, there still wouldn’t be remotely enough supply to meet the demand. The price floor is VERY high at this point, given the stunning lack of supply. Personally, I’d instabuy any EX-series booster box for under $4k. Though I doubt we will ever see those prices again, especially with people still opening these things…ugh.

1 Like

One guy I kknow is asking 35 to even consider selling his deoxys box

I can understand that, though I personally would much rather buy like two Team Rocket Returns booster boxes for that price. Or two Aquapolis boxes. Or three Delta Species booster boxes. Or a Skyridge box lol.

how much are TRR? I cant imagine theyre below 20k

Last one went for $14k via auction on eBay back in May. My guess is it would go for $17-20k if it was auctioned off today. The Aquapolis box went for $15k a few days ago, and I don’t think TRR is going to be worth that much more.

500 is an incredibly low number and 50 would be S tier haha Would Nintendo have made less than 50,000 boxes?

Well, we can try to extrapolate the number of boxes from the number of Gold Stars around, or at least set a floor. There’ve been 371 GS Rayquazas that have been PSA-graded. Some have probably been resubmitted, though, so I think 350 is probably a more reasonable estimate. You pull a GS Rayquaza, on avg, once every 6 boxes at best (it might even be closer to once every 8 boxes based on the data I’ve collected). Let’s say once every 7 boxes. So, given 350 GS Rayquazas submitted to PSA, that would mean that a MINIMUM of 2450 boxes would’ve been opened to account for those. Of course, though, most GS Rayquazas haven’t been graded. Now, the question is what percentage of GS Rayquazas in existence have been submitted to PSA? If I had to guess, at least 1% and at most 5%. With the 5% figure, that would mean that there are 7k GS Rayquazas in existence. With 1%, that would mean 35k GS Rayquazas in existence.

If there are 7k GS Rayquazas, then that would mean 49k boxes. If there are 35k, that would mean 245k boxes. My guess, though, is that there were under 100k boxes.

And this is all not accounting for a VERY important factor: not all packs are from boxes. There were multiple tins that contained EX Deoxys packs, and a lot of blisters contain them, too. It’s very possible that 25-50% of all EX Deoxys packs made weren’t even distributed in booster boxes. So that could mean there being as little as 25k boxes having been printed, according to my very rough guesstimates.

But let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that 100k boxes were printed. Most of these boxes were distributed to retail stores (whether big-box or small, local toy stores). Those stores likely opened the vast majority of the boxes that they were supplied – how many parents bought their kids entire 36-pack display boxes? I know for a fact that my mom didn’t lol. Principally, people bought individual packs. And of the people that bought entire, sealed booster boxes, how many kept them sealed? Almost assuredly, most didn’t. And even of the people who did keep them sealed, most of those sealed boxes, somewhere along the line, have been already been opened.

Point being: I think 100 is not an unreasonable estimate for the amount of sealed boxes still in existence. And I really don’t think it’s above 500. Or, if it is, then there is likely an undiscovered trove of them somewhere in some storage locker or in the hands of a Cartamundi or Ninteno employee. Or maybe a GS Raikou sort of situation lol. Personally, I really hope a trove of 5000 EX Deoxys boxes is found haha. I still need GS Rayquaza and Latias for my set :blush:.

4 Likes

Incredible! Thank you for posting. I agree with your math :blush:

2 Likes

It’s very rough guesstimate math haha. But yeah, I think there were in between 25k and 125k boxes printed.

Anyway, can someone start a GoFundMe to bribe a former Nintendo or Cartamundi employee to spill the beans? In all seriousness, I would contribute to that lol.

3 Likes

I think these ex series boxes are in a weird spot with relation to price. Something like Fossil 1st Edition definitely has people that collect the box itself but part of the motivation for the price of the box is the price of the cards. If suddenly it becomes reasonably likely to profit or break even by opening the box and grading the cards and selling the light packs or whatever, the box price will go up. Most of these WotC boxes are in a balance between the premium of it being sealed and the potential value of opened.

ex, on the other hand, is nothing like this. Probably the most extreme example is Deoxys. 1/3 (or 1/2?) boxes have a gold star, 1/3 of those are Rayquaza, and who knows what the odds are of getting one that doesn’t have 4 white dots on the corners straight from the pack. Disregarding grade you need an average of 6 or 9 boxes at $20,000++ each to get… a $20,000 card. Sure, this can be softened by the ex cards and the reverse holos and whatever, but the point is that a significant majority of the time you just lit $20,000 on fire by opening one of these boxes. The price of these boxes isn’t really rooted to the potential of the cards inside and that, to me, makes it a little shaky compared to buying something like Fossil.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I agree that the EV is that much worse, at this point, with EX-series booster boxes. Let’s take EX Deoxys, for example:

Both Latias and Latios Gold Star are worth in the mid-high 4 figures in PSA 10. Even in PSA 9, they’re worth well over $1k a piece. The reverse holos (and you’ll get 36 of them) are super low-pop in PSA 10 and are going to be minimum like $50 each in PSA 10, with some of them being MUCH more than that. And the EX Deoxys exs are obscenely low-pop in PSA 10. Like, so low-pop that you can’t even get accurate pricing info for them. There are quite a few exs that would sell for 4 figures in PSA 10. And you pull 3 per box.

Honestly, I’m not convinced that the EV is worse than WotC boxes. Definitely not Base Unlimited at least, lol. But you should look at the PSA 10 prices of many exs, holos, and reverses – many are worth pretty healthy sums. Like, for EX Deoxys, I imagine that the EV is at least $5-6k a box. Which is not absolutely terrible for a box that’s worth $25k. That’s about what 1st Edition Neo Destiny boxes are worth. Is the EV of one of those much better than that?

opening boxes is a travesty

1 Like

Half the holos and all the Shinings are heavy hitters for 1st Edition Neo Destiny. It’s also one of those most easily gradable WotC sets (by 9:10 ratio). I would expect at least $12000 or about $1000 per holo honestly.

That’s fair. Still, I don’t think the EX-series boxes are all that bad, EV-wise. Like, the EV of an EX Sandstorm box is definitely $3-4k+, and you can buy a box for only $6k. Personally, I’d seriously consider paying $2k just for the experience of opening one again. I honestly don’t think the EX-series boxes are any less safe than WotC boxes, investment-wise. Even if it were granted that the EV is dramatically worse, the supply simply isn’t large enough for there to be any chance of market saturation, ever. If we were talking about DP or HGSS boxes, though, I’d agree that those are potentially more volatile. The amount of supply is more unknown, and the EV is much, much worse than EX-series boxes. And those eras don’t have committed fan/collector-bases like the EX-series does.

Oh absolutely the DP and HGSS boxes are the worst for this. There is basically no way to make your money back even with the most optimal pulls all getting 10 with some of those boxes. And I understand wanting the experience of opening those boxes… I would love to open a Rising Rivals or Supreme Victors box again.

3 Likes