Espeon VMAX Alt Art PSA 10 Market Trends

TL;DR: I wanted to document current trends for the PSA 10 Espeon VMAX Alt Art from Fusion Strike. It did not see dramatic shifts over these past few months. If anything, the prices have softened slightly after additional supply was brought to market in November and December.

Data & Statistics

I compiled 58 sales of the PSA 10 Fusion Strike Espeon VMAX Alt Art from 10/9/22 to 1/3/23.

Non-USD currencies were converted to USD and rounded. Auctions and buy-it-now (BINs) were included. All sales data (including best offer prices) came from https://130point.com and are available upon request. I checked BINs to ensure that the card was not relisted, and I threw out a handful of erroneous auctions.

Each red dot in the figure represents an individual sale. The blue line is the moving average estimated from the regression with 95% confidence intervals. The regression line was smoothed using a generalized additive model (GAM).

Results

If you squint your eyes, the trend looks quite flat, suggesting little to no movement. The model does appear to reflect a small increase in sale prices around the beginning of November, followed by a dip in late November and throughout December.

This histogram shows the number of sales per week over time. As you can see, sales really ramped up in November and December.

These price trends and supply patterns are similar to what was reported for the Umbreon VMAX Alt Art.

Final Thoughts

I love this card and its artwork. I am so happy to see that it is affordable when compared to other chase cards from ultramodern sets. I hope that it continues to see stability as Fusion Strike ages.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Financial Disclosure: I do not own this card or a position in Fusion Strike.

9 Likes

I’m just happy to have a copy of it, even though there’s a small nickle on the back of the card. I LOVE this artwork and I think it’s the best artwork amongst the eeveelutions

1 Like

IMO for Espeon VMAX market trends of the Traditional Chinese copy would be the most interesting to watch, unfortunately I don’t know if there’s a reliable source for tracking prices in Taiwan and/or Hong Kong so I’ll just briefly describe what happened.

Traditional Chinese copies of Eeveelution VMAX promos were given as tournament winner prizes. When officials announced the Espeon VMAX tournament, tournaments for the other 3 Eeveelutions had already ended and the cards were trending at $300 to $400 per card.

Espeon VMAX tournament was held differently though - while all other tournaments were held in LGS across 2-week timespans, only one Espeon VMAX tournament event was announced, which was a side event held during the Taiwan Regional League tournament. Most people simply assumed that the side event was just the opening of a tournament series and thus decided to pass on that “opener” since they might get one in LGS later, plus COVID was still at large at the moment.

However, anyone who read the tournament details carefully would notice that officials are planning to give out almost 300 copies in that one side event, which was only a bit less than the number of each of the other Eeveelutions given out in tournaments, and thus a clear indicator that the event was going to be the only chance to get Espeon VMAX.

The side event was indeed the only event officials planned in Taiwan to give out Espeon VMAX, and with the number of participants much lower than expected, the number of Espeon VMAXes given out was also considerably lower than other Eeveelutions. After realizing the fact that Espeon VMAXes are no longer given out, collectors panicked, and FOMO drove the card from $260 all the way up to over $600 and never dropped back. Although market prices of Traditional Chinese cards had been relatively stable in the recent two months, it is still considered hard to find Espeon VMAX under $700 these days.

2 Likes

I think this one is undervalued compared to the Japanese Eevee Heroes Promo. This one is sooo much harder to grade, and the 10 pop is about half the size.

Coincidentally, I got mine in yesterday!

Best boi of SWSH for sure

2 Likes