Error Cards/Collector's (Cheerios)?

So I had to throw some funky title haha but I tried to find a guide on error cards. I only learned about it through the forums in passing but is their a guide? I read an article for example, the Krabby error behind the fossil symbol. I see someone selling the card below, it looks like the Krabby error was selling for $5k. I know the collector’s determine the price because its hard to get price trend or statistics on rarity’s. This card looks like Cherrios lol and its the only one I have seen. Do we have someone who specializes or enjoys errors? If so, what attracts you to them? Sometimes it baffles me but we enjoy what we enjoy. Would like your thoughts!

That error is probably worth 2 Cheerios…

3 Likes

True to me but maybe not to someone, I cant say ill ever be surprised.

LOL funny as hell

I have a lot of vintage sports errors and really enjoy them. There certainly are error Pokemon collectors and several here on e4

1 Like

I saw one for sale on virbank and for a high price tag.

I collect errors, but this one does nothing for me.

1 Like

i guess it’s a ‘krabby’ error card.

1 Like

Not too long ago if I remember right a PSA 10 “dot error” Blastoise sold for somewhere in the ballpark of $900. I’m a collector of errors but this was a huge surprise. A tiny speck of red on a card doesn’t appeal to me at all personally but it clearly does to others. Not everyone has the same taste and I’m glad for that

1 Like

A random, one off misprint or error on a random and otherwise worthless card will usually not add value. Certain cases are different in the event this type of misprint happens on a card of a popular Pokemon or already valuable card. It’s all about the context of the original card and what the misprint is. If it’s a misprint that is somewhat documented, like the Stage Error Blastoise or Evolution Box Wartorle, that is notable, and therefore adds value. Stack this on top of the aspect of them being collectible cards and being from Base Set, you’ll have yourself a little treasure. There are also cases where cards that are valuable and rarely have misprints, like the Gold Stars, will increase in value if there is any type of misprint or factory defect.

1 Like

Thank you for all the insight. It is always hard to say, some cards just do not appeal to some but can happen vice versa aka “Another man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.

I personally like errors, especially the ones that aren’t one of a kind and/or have a story behind them, or if they are one-of-a-kind than it should be a very obvious error. My favorite is probably the Ghost Stamp Base Set Pikachu. Although I also really like my XY Evolution color differences or very miscut WB Pikachu:

I’ve collected errors a bit for Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and still buy them every once in a while. And I also buy cheap Pokémon errors when I see them (or any kind of error when it’s a Pikachu).

PS: I saw the 5k PSA-9 error you mentioned and showed a picture of. Most of the Krabby cards on eBay that are available for 500+ USD aren’t even errors, but just stupid people trying to scam people (similar to ‘rare purple background Base Pikachus’ and such :unamused: ). And the ones that are errors are different than the one you’ve showed a picture of. Here is an example of a Fossil Krabby error that’s not one-of-a-kind:

If we compare the Fossil set symbol with a non-error one, we can see a minor difference:

I wouldn’t mind buying an error like this tbh. For 5 USD instead of the 0.10 a regular Fossil Krabby is… Not the outrageous prices on eBay.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Yes I did see this error before or at least the article I read. You mentioned you “don’t” like the one of kind errors, did you mean you do? Its really hard to gauge a price on errors. Even if someone posted an outrageous price, whos to say someone won’t pay it? I do find them extremely high. I was thinking if I had an error, wouldn’t it be best to start pretty high and do best offer, you just never know. I do not collect error cards but what is the rarest error you have seen? Miscut/OC seem pretty common.

@quuador That movie pikachu miscut is a beauty!

2 Likes

Ikr. :grin: Very happy I bought it.

I said it correctly. :blush: I prefer errors where there are multiple cases of, so it’s more legit, than one-of-a-kind errors. Of course, owning a one-of-a-kind error is cool, but buying a one-of-a-kind error you want not because the seller has a monopoly and you’ll usually have to pay a premium (if they are willing to sell it at all). I prefer to pay < 10 USD for a cool error that is widely available, even though it’s not rare and many people have it, instead of buying a cool error for > 100 USD for which I’m the only owner. It’s cool to own a one-of-a-kind error, but I prefer to save more money if you know what I mean. :wink:

And you’re right, errors can be pretty hard to determine a good price for. It really depends on what someone is willing to give for it. Still, with a bit of common sense no one would pay 500 USD for a minor Krabby error like that, not even collectors who’s favorite Pokémon is Krabby and they’re collecting all variations. I tend to overpay for Pikachu cards in general, but even I would’t even pay close to 500 USD if a Jungle Pikachu was having a line like that in the set symbol… And Pikachu is way more popular than Krabby.

But I agree I would probably advertise it higher than I would buy it for myself with a Offer option available for the few error/Krabby collectors out there. Higher as in 15-25 USD instead of 5, not 500…

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Yes and I do agree! I am a Pikachu fan myself and I know he is your stereotypical Pokemon but I think Pikachu represents Pokemon and especially since I watched the cartoon. I would pay a premium for him. I accidentally closed this out but what I wrote before is that I was not a very big fan of the base set Pikachu (for nostalgia sake, I do). I do not think he represented the real Pikachu that I know and I think some of the newer cards give him justice. The base set Pikachu look like he ate too many bon bons, but thats just me lol. These two cards really gave him justice and I love the lightning pattern they put that reflects it in the light. Its hard to choose between the two. The Ex just looks nasty! Most of the Pikachu cards I see that I like happen to be Japanese.

1 Like

This error actually pretty cool has an identity. I would pay for it in real currency and not cheerios.

1 Like