eBay

If the seller doesn’t state on description that they combine shipping, I always ask about combined shipping before buying anything. That saves you from problems.

You should always do that because I once bought 2 cards from one seller and asked if they’d combine the shipping for me, they said yes. So I bought and he refunded me the part of shipping I overpaid because asking for invoice didn’t work. I bought from the same seller again on a later date thinking they would combine the shipping like last time and refund me, but they didn’t. My mistake, I didn’t complain about it as I didn’t ask for combined shipping that time and only assumed they would do it again.

Just for the sake of clarity:
Are you saying there’s no way for a buyer to know that a seller doesn’t combine shipping before he pays? Is that true or not?

Treating this question as not sarcastic…

If the seller doesn’t say in the description and the buyer doesn’t ask then in most cases I have experienced, there is no way to know until you commit to buy. At that point you have to use the eBay “Request total” feature to find out if the seller offers combined shipping. About half the time I’ve done this I’ve been greeted with a “this seller does not offer combined shipping” message. A couple times I messaged the seller directly and they combined the shipping anyway.

I had one seller automatically calculate shipping when I put my items in my eBay cart. That was pretty useful.

I was saying most people don’t expect 10 times the actual shipping costs to be reasonable. Is this wrong?

I understand that, but I have never looked or even asked before buying any items. This is the first time this has happened. Another reason I think he is doing this is because I got them cards for a really good deal on bid.

You’re not wrong that obviously a good seller would combine the shipping and in reality the star system is somewhat applicable here… but it’s not like we’re talking hundreds of dollars. Hell, I’ve paid over $100 on shipping alone for an item that was only $600 that I particularly wanted. While combined shipping wasn’t an issue there obviously the actual shipping cost was, yet I didn’t give 1-star because I knew what I was buying, I didn’t have to go into it. Granted, I didn’t give a full rating either but I don’t believe the seller is at full fault, more like a 50/50 sort of thing in my mind.

It’s a minimal price increase that could have been avoided if the OP had of messaged the seller about shipping like I do with almost every purchase/bid I make. If the seller doesn’t reply I typically don’t bother with the listing. Not everyone has to follow suit in said manner but to say the OP isn’t responsible is ludicrous. Unless the buyer does indeed ask and have the seller reply back saying one thing but then change their decision later on then the buyer still has power to look into these things beforehand.

Just to be really clear… I’m not attacking anyone supporting the OP’s post. He has a right to be dissatisfied to some extent of course. But if you do not clarify things with the buyer beforehand and it doesn’t specifically say that combined shipping is an option then you can’t do much about it.

Thank you for having common sense. I praise you. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ)

Of course it’s right but it answers a question I didn’t ask? Flying master did answer it though. Apparently the buyer doesn’t find out that the seller doesn’t combine in a message after they request a total.
Wouldn’t it be simpler if Free Shipping was mandatory. Would save a lot of buyers from feeling regret or I’ll will.

I really didn’t want to reply yesterday… but now the thread spiralled off…

Ticktock, few weeks ago you made a thread about how you felt yourself entitled to some sort of discount because you bought many items from one seller. Now you make a thread based solely on the fact that you bought items without informing if the seller did combined shipping. Sorry to say man, but you are just a whining guy that wants to be on front row for a penny.

Just spending 1 minute to contact the seller for a BIN item would’ve saved you (and all in this thread) a lot of time. And seriously, if you gonna whine about having to pay 3 quid more on shipping maybe this hobby isn’t for you. I don’t like spending $20 on shipping via GSP either, but if that’s the way to get the card I want from the US to my house it’s a sacrifice you have to make. The seller maybe doesn’t combine because someone fucked him over in the past and he doesn’t want that to happen again.

6 Likes

You’re the one whinning all the time. You have replied to all my threads except from my collection thread. Each time you say " A few weeks ago you made a thread about". I’m making these threads because I am unsure on something that has not happen to me before. Isn’t this whole wesbite to help others to talk about Pokemon, eBay, deals, collections etc. And your just complaining all the time. When your saying just pay the extra £3, maybe I dont make as much money as you do. I love Pokemon to bits but your just making ppl quit pokemon.

I always message the seller or check their postage on the listing to see if they offer combined.otherwise it will cost a fortune.I had a £100 postage cost from one ebayer last year as it was individual singles as a great price. he combined so it cost me like £5 tracked and signed for.best bet is to make sure they offer it before buying,some say they dont on postage on the listing, and some are happy to if you message/check their listing.

Good luck

People exploiting the system has caused all the honest folk and standard sellers to take the brunt with shipping fees.To be honest it would have been better if there were no postage fees if we printed the label from ebay…problem solved(maybe :stuck_out_tongue:)
Unfortunately there are always people scamming, trying to make money and avoid fees, which causes the 99% to suffer.

Even in my game there are people scamming! trying to make easy money…thats society today.People are bastards :wink:

FIN

The point is for you to leave feedback on slow shipping or seller taking too long to dispatch items. I am an ebay seller and always combine shipping to my customers, however some sellers include their packaging costs (envelope, stamp, bubblewrap, etc) in their shipping cost, so combining shipping is at their discretion.

As someone already mentioned, the best thing you can do to make sure the seller doesn’t pocket extra profit is ask him to sell the orders separately, this way you know he had to pay shipping for each.

If you didn’t take the effort to contact the seller up front asking if he did combined shipping we wouldn’t had had this thread in the first place. And that’s what up with many of your threads. You just don’t do the initial step that most of the time negates the need of starting it.

When I see a card I desire on eBay and the seller doesn’t ship to Europe, I contact him. If it’s a no, it’s a no. Tough luck for me. If he replies back to me and he says he does and it will costs 10$ I’m still in the position to agree on it and bid, or disagree and do not bid on it at all. A few weeks back I ran into a seller that claimed he did combined shipping but the eBay system didn’t combine it at all. After 3 quick messages he agreed to refund me the difference on the PayPal payment. Saving me 8$ on shipping for 3 cards less than 2$ each.

Also, you just miss the point of view of the seller. As I pointed out, maybe he got bad experience with combined shipping (people claiming he didn’t include all items, forcing him to do full refund on all items) or he is inexperienced with how to do it on the eBay system. Either way, if you would’ve contacted him before and not after bidding, you would’ve known and would’ve been able to make a more solid decision on “Do I want to pay 3 quid or not for this item?”.

If you want to be a total dick about this, you just file a PayPal claim saying you had unreasonable shipping fees and demand a partial refund. But this can result you being blocked from buying from him in the future.

2 Likes

One of the issues with combined shipping is, the buyer can claim they only received 1 item…therefore forfeiting the other items money through a paypal claim.Im sure it is rare but it is a reality…maybe that is what he is worried about? i couldnt say. In future…personally i would just check before buying.with bin and auctions

I’m not sure if this has been brought up but if an international seller is buying something from the USA and the seller is using the Global Shipping Program they can’t physically combine shipping. Normally if I buy something off someone from overseas I check their other items to see if I can combine and save on postage. If they use the GSP however, there’s no point because you’ll just get charged twice for shipping anyway. I think US sellers can be disadvantaged this way if they do use the GSP. Oh and it’s daylight robbery to the buyers!

1 Like

they arent disadvantaged as such, but i avoid all gsp and non EU where possible.The shipping,import etc is expensive enough and if they use gsp aswell …the cost for all that is usually more than the item itself :slightly_frowning_face: works both ways though as EU sellers shipping abroad…alot only ship to the UK or EU because of that.

And dont get me started on bloody Parcel Force…