eBay Global Shipping Program - I don't want to pay for item

I bought a whole bunch of cards, this is all the description says:

"yes, we reduce shipping on all unpaid orders…the reduced shipping price
depends on the precise variables…once you pay for an order ebay requires us
to ship the item…we allow up to 10 days to combine for reduce shipping…
please wait for us to send an invoice or request an invoice prior to payment…

NJ residents must add 6.875% sales tax.

Probstein123 offers full refunds on returned items.

Thanks for the bids and interest in our auctions."

This was the postage message on the listings: “Postage:
US $32.00 (approx. AU $42.03) USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service”

I bought 10 items, shipping is $400 (The ITEMS are only $200!!!) assuming they would just combine shipping. After winning, I request a combining of shipping; I get this

" Do you combine shipping for customers outside of the U.S.?
probstein123 : We ship overseas via the eBay Global Shipping Program only. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to combine shipping on international orders. For the international leg of the shipment, eBay’s rates and fees apply. The invoice is generated by eBay and we don’t have access to view or edit the invoice."

Obviously I do not want to pay for this listing, $400 shipping on $200 orders. Has anyone else dealt with this before? There was nowhere in the listing that you can’t combine shipping (the listing even says they DO combine shipping).

What are my options? How do I prevent this happening?

1 Like

Find someone nice here to middle it for you and compensate them nicely.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which country you are shipping to (my guess is Australia), but when I order items on ebay that uses the GSP, it gives me this tidbit on listing page:

“This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking.”

Technically seeing that it is shipped via USPS First Class Mail International meant that the ebay listing was wrong, and I understand why you would they can simply combine it for you. I would request cancellation, or ask someone in E4 to middleman for you. Note that middleman may not be a bad idea because you will soon be hit with taxes if your shipment is arriving to Australia after I believe July? (There was an E4 thread about this)

Probstein123 doesn’t mention anywhere on his listing that he ships through GSP and his postage option isn’t set to GSP, like you stated it’s listed as USPS international. That is grounds for you to cancel if he won’t post the items without using the GSP as it’s never mentioned anywhere. I’d be pretty pissed if this happened to me because I specifically don’t bid on GSP auctions.

6 Likes

Thanks for validating my rage.

I don’t think I’m going to touch this Probstein group again.

From a seller point of view, I’ve had this question many times from international buyers. The seller cannot influence or even see what price eBay charges for using their GSP system, only the buyer can see. I have to say it’s frustrating for the seller as eBay do not accurately state how their GSP program works and how pricing is calculated.

The work around to this is to negotiate with the seller asking if you win, for them to cancel the order and create one listing with all of the items you have won, for the price that you won them at. This way it’s only one eBay GSP Shipping fee for all items.

I hope this helps! :blush:

With GSP you are not only paying for shipping but customs charges as well, which they charge accordingly with the countries of destination regulations.

The GSP combine shipping automatically but it’s usually a few dollars difference.

The good thing is you don’t have to deal with the customs. But yeah 400$ is outrageous, maybe there was some change in Australian regulations for imports hence the price.

Probstein started using GSP a few months ago I guess.

None of their listings use GSP so far as I can tell. They didnt’t bother to list their rates either to places like Canada, so I ignore every auction of theirs.

They slap a default $32 shipping on every auction like its not going to scare away bidders or something.

Posting in a GSP thread :sunglasses:

Ebay GSP UK adds a 12£ (16$) flat fee for “handling and packaging” even if they don’t repackage. You’d think the shipping price would be included, but no… they’ll gladly pocket another 8 pounds for that, because why not!

Mind ya’ll this happens even when there is no import tax to be paid.

For me in the uk when the package arrives via gsp i always still get a customs charge as well as vat and handling so i completely avoid it.

I only ship gsp at the moment ha! I wont buy using it but due to being a newbie ebay seller…I am taking the careful route for now.

I have had a few gsp purchases in my week and a few days of being a seller XD

Strangely enough…all to Italy