Ebay GSP - Combined Shipping

Can anyone confirm this for me please.

If a buyer purchases multiple items from me and I am shipping overseas to them via GSP can they get combined shipping if they checkout and pay for all the items in one go? Will I be able to post them in one package?

Thank you :blush:

I believe the buyer will have to pay shipping on each item. Im sure others will confirm. Obviously you can still ship in one package though.

1 Like

I fear not… I once tried to ask from a seller using GSP if it was possible to combine the shipping costs and he said he can’t. I assume GSP will charge a shipping cost from every single item, which sucks.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t bothered with GSP since, but I can’t imagine this has changed…

1 Like

I think you now get some discount if you buy multiple items, but I don’t think it counts as combined shipping. For example if you add items to your cart the shipping cost/item will go down slightly the more items you add.

Like:
1 item - $20 ($20/item)
2 items - $35 ($17.5/item)
3 item - $47.5 ($15.8/item)

The numbers are made up, but something like that. Still super expensive!

I don’t know if it works for auctions though

1 Like

I sell through GSP often and it does have combined shipping indeed, the issue of combine shipping arises when buyer purchases items individually as ebay will charge them and their respective shipping costs separately.

The best way for your buyer to combine shipping is to click the ‘Add to Basket’ link that shows under the ‘Buy it Now’ button, and once they have all the items in their basket, simply checkout and ebay will calculate combined shipping for all items.

As far as auctions go, I am not sure how it’s done as I don’t auction items often.

If all else fails, simply advise your buyer to contact ebay customer service and enquire about combined shipping.

2 Likes

You pay shipping per item. On several occasions I’ve canceled individual items for overseas buyers and relisted them in a single bulk listing for them to buy instead when this has happened.

2 Likes

couldn’t you just make a new listing for the buyer that has everything they want?

Ebay does not allow combined shipping for people selling with GSP or buyers wanting to buy multiple items from the same seller with GSP.
Their reasoning behind it is so every item is insured and individually protected.

1 Like

I have shipped hundreds of items through GSP and can confirm that there is combined shipping. I think you are confusing the GSP as it relates to each item, versus GSP as it relates to each order.
If you place an order through me that includes 3 items from my ebay store, you will be charged lower shipping, and I will be provided a single reference for that order (despite it containing 3 of my listings), as such your shipping and fees has just been automatically combined. You will also get a single tracking number for this order.

If you buy each of those items separately, then ebay treats them as 3 orders, will issue 3 different references and charge you 3 times. You will have an individual tracking number for each item.

1 Like

Echoing @kaldoverde. The very wrong way to do it is to buy all the items and pay each individually and then message me to combine them all or for some kind of a refund. Can’t be done. Another wrong way is to commit to buy all of them separately and then message me for an invoice. I can’t send an invoice.

The proper way is to utilize the cart feature, add them all to it and check out all at once. You’ll find the fees are less for 3 items at once than 3 items individually. How much less? Not sure, but definitely less on the shipping aspect at least. Customs would likely be unaffected as that is a percentage.

Certain foreign eBay sites as far as I understand do not have the cart feature. AFAIK any foreign eBayer can login on eBay.com and then they’ll have access to the cart. I always reply back that all items need to be checked out at once for the discount utilizing the cart feature and occasionally the cart has troubles on mobile and/or international sites so ideally use desktop version on eBay.com for best results.

3 Likes

@kaldoverde

Interesting, the last time i sold several items to the same person that were all purchased via GSP ebay not only didnt give me the option but after chatting with them, wouldnt allow me to combine the shipping so i had to cancel the transactions and create a group listing.

@prochaos, sorry it took me a while, but had to look through my ebay records to find a good example.
Picture below is a past transaction for two items that I sent to the Netherlands through GSP. Both items were individual listings, but because the buyer added them to their cart, they were checked out as a single order, shipping was combined and a single tracking number and GSP reference was generated.

1 Like

It looks like multiple “Buy It Now” or “Best Offer” items can be combined into a single GSP package, by requesting a total from the seller after adding to the cart. However if you win multiple bid auctions from the same seller, then those cannot be combined unfortunately.

If someone can confirm otherwise, let me know. There are some items from the UK I’m eyeing, but due to them being auctions it appears I’ll get charged a high amount for each.

@kpod again the cart function is the key.

I have had multiple auction winners check out all at once by winning the auction, using eBay.com on desktop, and checking out all in one go. Mobile may not allow this and many international eBay sites will not allow it. It is difficult, because you cannot send an invoice from your end and all you can do is instruct them of the convoluted process which relies on them actually reading your message and following it all correctly from your explanation of something you can’t even see. Rough process but it works.

2 Likes

The listings I’m looking at only appear on the eBay UK site, they don’t appear on the US site. However the seller states they will ship with GSP, and when I look at the listing on the eBay UK site, it does show a GSP shipping option to the USA.

Advice I occasionally give to my buyers is bid as if fees won’t be reduced for multiple wins and be pleasantly surprised if they do afterwards. A key thing with auctions is that you should be bidding as if fees won’t reduce anyways as you have no way to guarantee you’ll win multiple items from an auction. So place each bid assuming the worst in that you’ll only win that singular item and will pay fees on each single item.

1 Like

That’s really good to know! I wish eBay themselves would make it easier to know this stuff already. I’ll be sure to direct people to do that in future.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your advice and input! I also contacted eBay customer services and they echo what @gottaketchumall , said. It all depends on if the buyer utilizes the cart option properly and uses checkout for all items at once rather than individually, this includes auctions.

4 Likes