eBay keeping my money

So before managed payments I was using the one time payment system with my credit card to pay my selling fees, I issued the payment Thursday October 28th to pay my balance in full like I always do a few days before the end of the month. My balance went to $0.00 owed and at the same time I got transitioned to eBay managed payments. The next day eBay takes out the same amount in the automatic payment method set up with my PayPal. Well since I just switched to managed payments I had transferred all of my funds off PayPal so it took the funds from my backup checking account linked with my PayPal. I was not anticipating this charge since I had already paid with my credit card, the balance was to $0.00 and the charge was pending on my bank account. This automatic payment they issued caused my account to overdraft because I do not keep much money in the account since I rarely use it.

So now I have an overdraft fee I had to pay and I have over $1,000 in credit on my eBay account. All of my fees have been taken out before eBay sends my managed payment to my new checking account so the credit is essentially useless. I asked eBay to refund one of the payments and they refuse to do so. They acknowledge I was charged twice and shouldn’t have but since the one time payment did not process right away it caused the system to still charge me automatically.

I have asked now 4 times for them to refund me my money and they tell me there is nothing they can do and I will just have to keep the credit on my account. My fees are automatically being taken out of my payments before they pay me, I am fine with this so I do not need credit stored on my eBay if it is useless! I told them to forward my request onto a manager and if they can not refund me I’m not sure what to do.

3 Likes

Keep bugging them is all I would do.

1 Like

That sucks, eBay and PayPal have the worst customer service, I don’t think you can even call PayPal anymore and eBay just sends you copy paste answers.

4 Likes

Don’t know about PayPal, but I was able to get a live human on the phone from eBay a few weeks ago. Just have to keep clicking through the menus until you get an option to have them call you. It was an outsourced call center grunt who wasn’t particularly helpful, but better than nothing.

Fuck eBay and PayPal.

1 Like

The new ebay managed payments takes out the payment owed to ebay before they pay us? how long is it supposed to take until it hits our accounts. This is my first auction after switching over to managed payments so I have some hesitation as well.

@ccrntrade, hopefully your issue gets resolved, but with it being a new system, I think there are going to be a lot of starting issues.

@ccrntrade, so my situations are not that relevant to eBay in particular, but I’ve dealt with my fair share of customer service shenanigans that perhaps my advice can help you.

So customer service can only help with general inquiries and questions that fall in the 90% norm, and the other 10% you must have a manager or someone from corporate to help you. If you keep contacting the same customer service helpline, they will just put you in the same corporate loop and you’ll never get the right person on the phone. Most customer service would only direct you to a manager as a last resort, so you may not get lucky and fail to meet a manager. Furthermore, your amount is not small, so you may need a senior manager to step in, which may require corporate help.

I would try calling corporate first (my guess it is this link: www.complaintsdepartment.com/ebay/)) and call the headquarters about your issue. Explain to them how you got overdrafted, cost you a ton of fees and exaggerate how your entire bank account is in financial jeopardy because of the extra 1000$ charge, and how covid was stressful enough and you are already financially stressed. Refuse if anyone tries to send you back to the typical customer service phoneline, and emphasize you need to contact a manager because you’ve been put on a loop with no one helping you out.

My last resort is to usually put the company on blast, calling them out publicly would usually have the PR department forward your complaint to a manager to look at.

From my experience with managed payments so far, your payout is linked to how fast you ship the item. No matter what, ebay seems to release my funds after 2 or 3 days but if I print out a shipping label right after I recieve payment I usually get my funds released the following morning. My bank usually takes 24 to 48 hours to process a deposit so best case scenario the money hits your account in 3 days and worst case it can take up to a week.

I still can’t figure out whether or not managed payments counts towards the $20,000 tax threshold in regards to being added to what I already sold via paypal or if it starts at $0 when I switched over.

I had it really weird. A block of my auctions ended and all the funds still ended up in my PayPal but all the final value fees got credited out of my managed payments. Got a nice old negative number there which just charged my card. Buy it now payments go to managed payments though. Some weird stuff going on and I don’t like it. Doesn’t eBay own PayPal anyway so removing their own middle man seems like they are just shooting themself in the foot in terms of more fees they can charge buyers. I just want my free $15 coupon for signing up early lol

Update: Spoke to several different eBay reps and everybody tells me they are unable to refund me. I asked if I were to file a chargeback on my credit card what would happen and I was told I would be banned. I asked if I shut my account down what would happen and I was told they would keep my money… My monthly store membership fee was now added to my invoice, so it appears this may be the only thing that does not automatically get taken out of your pending payouts. It will take 20+ months of paying $60 for me to use all of the credit. That is a decent amount of money sitting there doing nothing I wish I could be investing. I will try and call a few more times but it looks like I am defeated.

Yea it appears all of the selling fees get taken out of your pending payouts and the only thing I have been billed on my invoice is my store membership fee.

As for payouts it has been pretty reasonable for me, 2 business days consistently. You have the option to be paid daily or weekly. I am currently on the daily but I think I will switch to the weekly just to simplify things a bit.

might be risky but i’d seriously consider the chargeback/ban thing–at least if you are confident you’d get your money back that way. from what i’ve seen and heard ebay will give people like one or two week bans for blatant policy violations, but i would think perma ban is a rare event for them. i imagine your skin in the game is significant, but even if they did perma ban you, if you could afford to risk a reset and create a new account–maybe just a new user name and preferred CC or bank acct to connect–you could roll on. i doubt they have a super secret probation list or anything, unless it’s an adjudicated criminal flag list. wouldn’t want to see you cut off the nose to spite the face, but add it to the list of things ebay does that you just can’t do and stay in business if you aren’t the only viable game in town. hoping this works out for you, what a headache. but if it’s time to let it go, letting go and moving on is best.

I am about to explode in rage, the only thing I had on my invoice was my monthly eBay membership fee. All of the other fees were being taken out of my automatic payment. I had all of the credit on my account from my double payment, now the credit has vanished. It is not on my PayPal, it was not put back into my bank account and my invoice was paid from my bank account! They literally stole my money and nobody at eBay is being helpful!

5 Likes

I’d chargeback. If you think you would be able to get the money back its worth it, but if you are likely to lose and still be banned I wouldn’t. Don’t let them steal from you.