eBay Authenticity Guarantee Issues with Graded Base Set Cards

That is really odd. What did you try to purchase? Are you willing to share pictures from the order?

Ye knock yourself out. Pokemon PSA 9 MINT Latios Gold Star 106/107 EX Deoxys Holo 2005 | eBay

Card looks legitimate. I wonder if the seller sent something other than this card, not knowing that it would pass through PSA.

1 Like

I’ve sold a couple cards now and they do make it pretty clear you’re shipping it to an authenticator before it goes to the buyer. I guess if you didn’t read up on it you wouldn’t know it was going to PSA specifically but it was definitely going to be looked over by somebody.

I still try to find out how this should work.
I don’ t see a single item (over$750) having that authenticity guarantee,
I only have 1 item up for sale over 750 but also nothing (no sign or anything) at that one.
Is this because I have an international account?

Don’t get it (most likely don’t need it either)

From my understanding, it is only for US sellers at this time. That could have changed or will change in the future.

There is no sign also if I want to buy anything over 750.

I dont care because I feel it’s to stupid to have your PSA case verified again.

I will add its for USA sellers to USA buyers, I believe. So that might be why you don’t see it show up. But yes, I agree, verifying a slab is a slab is non sense. I think what they are really doing at that point is serving as a middle man to verify the correct card was sent by the seller.

LOL I could advertise now “buy directly from seller”
I am not that active at Ebay, but due to a new shipping service from my country I was looking at it.
Had a good laugh about verifying a slab, please…but I understand that’s a serious move right now.

Update. I was told the cert number did not match the listing which was the cause for rejection.

2 Likes

That’s either a very polite way of saying the seller sent the wrong card altogether, or being very nit picky over cert number for the same card, same grade.

I am heavily in favor of rejecting a card that doesn’t match the cert number in the listing, even for same card same grade.

1 Like

Our very own @TCAGaming made a great update on this topic. If the listing now states “Base Set,” it will correctly trigger the Authenticity Guarantee.

However, if you add the word “Set” to other listings (e.g., “Skyridge Set”), it will exclude the listing from the Authenticity Guarantee. In other words, sellers can exploit this by adding “Set” to their title if they do not want the item to be authenticated.

2 Likes

I wanted to add that CGC is now authenticating graded cards too. It looks like eBay has implemented some geographic-specific parameters to send your card to the nearest authenticator (CGC for East Coast, PSA for West Coast). It is unclear if the NJ PSA office will begin to authenticate too.

1 Like

I bought a $20 slab for a friend and it is going through eBay authenticity guarantee. It seems like a waste of time and shipping for that low of value.

That is very unusual. Was the card originally listed for above $250?

It was an auction that ended at $29. I was shocked to see it go through this program.

2 Likes

Very strange, must be a bug.

I believe that eBay adds the Authenticity Guarantee to cards that it believes will surpass the $250 cutoff in auction based on previous sales data. I’ve never seen a PSA 9 Furret Reverse Holo from TRR sell for more than $100. :thinking:

1 Like

My cards all go through CGC for authentication and have for a while now.

For that $29 card, I wonder if it was originally listed higher and then the seller converted it to an auction. I know if you just lower the price it takes it off but maybe doing that doesn’t.

1 Like

That’s definitely annoying. I had a $120 card go through authentication recently since it was listed at $250 and I offered and won it lower and I thought that was annoying too lol

I’m in Michigan and have sent probably 30+ to PSA for authentication until Sunday when my first went to CGC