eBay Auction Strategy

Gotta use Gixen. Always too tempted to get into a bidding war the final 30 seconds.

2 Likes

So many fantastic deals on eBay auctions. I was using the buy it now option before but I’ve been crushing lately in auctions. I only use Gixen and so far it’s been flawless. I paid the 6 bucks and got the redundancy server.

I set alarms on my phone with different labels set for 2-5 minutes before the auction ends, then I wait until the last 3 seconds and submit my max bid. Works most of the time. If you put in your max bid earlier it give people time to “rethink” their max bid.

I just have gixen do it the last three seconds for me.

@curtisc83
I’m old school haha if I use gixen I end up buying more stuff because I’m not physically bidding.

i am using gixen for the first time i have put my max bids in is that what i will pay if i win or does it put it up bit by bit eg if the price is on £200 now and i put £400 will it bid £400 or will it bid £300 first and then keep going up until its either won or lost?

It only puts your bid in once, between 15 and 3 seconds before the auction actually ends. So if no one bids higher than say £220 and you input £400 as your Gixen snipe bid, you will win the auction at £220. If it increases all the way to £400, you end up paying £400. If it ends any higher than that, you’ve lost the auction.

ok amazing thanks i just didnt want to up bid myself as i am willing some auctions right now but i am going to bed soon and they end in the middle of the night so i put in my max bid on gixen just didnt want to end up bidding myself up.

1 Like

Used Gixen yesterday and I must say I’m really happy.
Didn’t have to wake up at 3 o’clock at night and this time I DID win some nice cards.
Not really sure what I should make up of the site not beeing safe according to my browser:

If you give a website your Ebay login and bid a lot of money at least it could be marked safe right?

I think your browser is showing that because it has a login form. For what it’s worth, your Gixen account isn’t the same as your eBay account - your Gixen account is authorised to use some of eBay’s features including bidding on items. You should not use the same credentials for Gixen as you do for eBay.

On that note, Gixen helped me win two auction at 4:15AM and 4:48AM yesterday. Really happy I didn’t have to force myself to wake up and stay awake for those!

1 Like

thats somethig new on lots of websites for me now all say not secure like this one ect its to do with that format the website uses

www.wired.com/story/google-chrome-https-not-secure-label/ thats the article i used

I also won three out of my 4 auctions using it :blush: but no bids were made on the three i wanted to win for the last 3 days and i was winning all three at the start so not even sure if i used it properly oh well still won 3/4 :blush:

1 Like

What Scott says. Just put the maximum amount you want to pay (or a few bucks below that) in as early as possible. This will thin out the competition. It will scare away those guys that wiggle prices up by $0.01-0.25 per bid hoping they can get the item for $1 less than usual market price.

If you bid just a few buck below your max, you have some room to bid in case needed. If not; you have yourself a ‘deal’.

Without sniper software, trying a last 20s snipe on any popular item is a loss. Better go with the tactic Scott mentions; bid large at start.

1 Like

Surely this entirely depends on what you’re buying. If you’re spending thousands on something, sure, maybe this works, but if I’m bidding on a card which tends to sell for around $40 and I stick in a $45 bid on the 1st day of a 10 day auction I’m almost guaranteeing that it’ll sell for more than that if anyone else is interested in it. I’d rather wait until the last minute to put my bid in.

2 Likes

It’s not something I use or plan to use, but this is good advice here that I would follow if I did. People are generally terrible with internet and password security. It is nice to see something like this questioned.

I would also have (as I currently do) an eBay for buying only and not be using Gixen on an account tied in to a selling. If someone ever “hacks” my buying eBay I can have a lot of unhappy sellers with whom I need to cancel sales if someone ever “hacks” my selling eBay I can have 15 years of selling history and 15,000 feedback destroyed. I use “hack” because in general most of the time they are the result of poor security, not actual hacking.

I used to bid high early to “thin out the competition” but there are just way too many shillers on ebay that either have alts to shill directly or request their friends to shill for them. I use gixen to set my max bid. This way I don’t get attached to the item when I’m “no longer the highest bidder” and I don’t have to check in on the item to see how its doing. It’s a pleasant surprise when you win and always for a good deal.

6 Likes

Bidding high and early give people the chance to rethink their maximum bid. It’s a bad idea all around, unless your early bid is higher than market value you’re not going to scare anyone off. #snipegang

2 Likes

This is one of Gixen’s main benefits for sure. It removes the emotional aspect out of bidding which you’d often end up regretting in the end.
And as you mentioned already, it’s just a nice surprise when you score a really nice snipe even without having to check in on the auction.

1 Like

Bidding early seems like a silly strategy. So far I’ve been getting 1500 dollar cards for around 250-300 dollars using gixen just look at the recently purchased card thread and each one of my purchases has been ridiculously good.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed your Illusion’s Zorua / Zoroark set is coming together really fast. Gixen ftw!