Bidding strategies

Hey guys just wanna hear your strategies on auctions. Do you snipe last 3 seconds or just bid massive at the start and pray :blush:

Also I see people win bids with like .26 or .11 ?? Why these numbers? Why wouldn’t you just go to like .99 ? It seems to work for them I guess :blush:

1 Like

I always enter my max bid in the last few seconds, don’t see any benefit to playing it any other way.

If you’re going to bid say $500, you may as well bid $501.02 or something like that, chances are there’s someone else out there willing to pay $500 and your bid wins in that event

1 Like

I’m one of those people who tries to snipe items with my maximum bid in the last seconds. But, this has also resulted me losing some items as they have ended like 4 am my time and I’ve completely forgotten about them. So it works if the auctions end when I’m awake lol

1 Like

In that example, only if you bid before him lol.

I’ve won auctions by a dollar or less sniping this way even though the bidding increment was suppose to be $5

it won’t work if the bid is already $500, but if its lower it will allow you to place the bid and win the auction with a smaller increment

Always snipe. Gives less time for people to react. Only ever bid high early if I can’t be there at the end.

Yeh I normally do last 3 seconds :blush: but if it’s a card I want really badly I’ll just do a massive bid any way and if someone outbids me then fair play

The extra pennies at the end won’t change much. Sometimes it’s just for good luck. I like to put .88 as 8 is my favorite number and I’m born in 88 but it never gave me more chances at winning an item or anything.

The worst feeling is when your snipe doesn’t register as it’s not high enough for the bidding increments. Snipe $500 and some sucker wins it for $498 or something. lol Then again, there’s no way to tell a person’s max bid.

In general, if you REALLY want something snipe just tad bit a higher than you’re willing to go. It sucks when you feel like you’ve lost by a few dollars and then you end up buying that item for sometimes hundreds more down the road.

1 Like

The extra pennies change everything. There is no luck about it. It is actually a skill that objectively increases your success rate while only negligibly increasing the cost to you.

I’m not a sniper and I always put my bid in early when I first see it. If I value it at $1,000 I’ll bid say $1073.41. If I value it at $500 I may bid $507.69. $10 I may bid $10.87. This would even increase your odds of sniping if not even more so since others have already mentioned snipes not being registered due to not being a bid increment over the current bid.

I always try to go a bid increment plus a small oddball increment over the round number my brain says I want to pay for something. Our brains work in a way that it is exceedingly common to value things at round numbers. There are a very high portion of my wins that hit my absolute top dollar because someone else values something similarly to me only I win out due to my strategy. Neither a late snipe of the round number or even the round number plus a bid increment will ever beat me. You either need to be almost two increments over or significantly over.

2 Likes

So to put it short it’s better to do random bids like $104.81 because most people tend to do rounded number bids ? I may have to give it a crack and see how I go :ok_hand:

1 Like

I agree with @gottaketchumall on this point. I used to collect jazz and rare-groove records and this strategy worked for those as well. It doesn’t work every time but when it does, you’re happy :blush:

Should also point out that bidding with 3-4 seconds left will help you win ties as well. Sniping apps that bid last second will lose to equal bids placed prior.

I snipe and confirm my bid with less than 5 seconds left. I always put in obscure amounts.

I was doing ok with bullying people out bidding high early until I ran into auctions by people like cardrushinc. If you suspect shilling or if there are a ton of people watching the bid, just snipe.

I’ve noticed that auction bots nowadays are commonplace in this hobby, and I am seeing bots bidding at the last .5 of a second. The cut off used to be roughly the last 10 seconds of the auction, if you plan to snipe :stuck_out_tongue:

You may have to bait and then snipe though. For instance, there was a card I wanted from the infamous CardRush today and since it wasn’t getting bids for them to shill up (I had planned on just sniping at the last second), the listing was removed as an “error” 2 hours before the final countdown because it was still very low. So maybe throw a “watch” on something, give it a low bid, THEN get your snipe ready.

2 Likes

I will just bid without snipe.