eBay Advise - Item Not Received by Buyer - In Customs

Hey all

Need some advise. I sold my PSA 9 Black Triangle Error Packet on the 2nd Jan .18 to a fellow in Spain. Payments went through fine and got the item shipped off on the 4th Jan due to the post office being closed and work [no worries there]. My item was processed through the Sydney sorting facility on the 8th Jan but I have had no updates since then.

I have awoken to the eBay user opening a case against me [no messages prior to this] and I am worried I am going to lose my $500.

Package does have a tracking number which was provided to buyer once I had shipped the item. I have also insured the item for $300 [just to cover myself / was included in the postage costs].

Now, I’ve contacted AusPost and eBay. eBay inform me that since they are purchasing from an overseas site I need to call back tomorrow [cannot due to work commitments].

Anyone able to tell me where I should go to from here / what will happen? :sob:

Thanks,
Gav.

I’ve had very few problems like this but when I have it’s either China, Canada or mostly Italy. Not sure why but I’ve recently banned Italy and China. I hated to but eventually you got to protect yourself.
All you can do is ride this out and hope it pops up somewhere.

1 Like

AusPost international tracking can suck, sometimes the only update you get is when it’s delivered. Best advice would be to try and get more time because it’s an international delivery and hope the tracking gets an updated delivered status. If it doesn’t you’re probably going to get screwed without the delivered status on the tracking, at least you’ve got the insurance claim in that case.

1 Like

Yeah I had this happen when I sold a card to an Australian buyer, tracking hadn’t updated for like a week and he opened a case, but then it popped up several days later and was no big deal. Best of luck! :blush:

Thanks all.

Ringing eBay again tomorrow after work and seeing what can be done.

Visited the post-office. They reckon its still in transit [had no movement on the tracking at all].

Australian eBay pass me around to about three different departments before I am told each time that no one can help me as it is an international case and that I need to contact the Spanish eBay Customer Support team.

When I got a reply from them, they told me that I ‘need to refund the buyer’…

So I do everything correct as a seller and I am going to lose everything yeah?

Is there anyway that your post office can proove the item has still not been delivered so that you can show ebay? It makes little sense to me that you have been asked to refund the buyer despite the item having not arrived anywhere yet especially considering it hasnt even been that long since first posting. The fact you have a tracking number should be enough to proove that something is on the way and until that something arrives i would be hesitant to comply with the refund request. On the plus side at least you are insured for some of the cost but its a bit of a shitty situation.

International standard postage is 6-10 business days, so it definitely should have arrived by now.

Have you tried putting the tracking number into the Spanish postal system?

I send frequently to the US, and only use USPS to track stuff. It’s significantly better with updates.

2 Likes

echoing oz,

Try various tracking services. I’ve had a number of items that won’t show movement through one tracking service but others will show various other details/ info.

Tried putting my tracking number into three different Spanish websites and all came up with the same result this morning.

Literally logged on after getting home from work, and guess what has finally arrived in Madrid!

Tracking is now saying it has officially arrived, awaiting clearance from customs!!! :grin:

Now, eBay state that if I don’t do anything by the 1st Feb, they will be forced to step in and take action against my account. Now that the item has finally made an appearance and is in the destination country, they won’t step in and action my account / withdraw the funds from eBay right? They will just allow extra time for the item to clear customs?

A call to them asking for a postponement of their decision couldn’t hurt anything. Bring them up to date on the current status. If you are able to add more information to the case currently be sure to add a screenshot showing that status update.

2 Likes

Cannot touch the case as it requires me to log into the Spanish eBay page.

I did message them however as soon as I saw the tracking had finally updated. Hopefully they will hold off, but they are yet to reply to any of my messages.

Thank you @gottaketchumall :blush:

“Message from buyer:
Hello, I have been informed by the transport company that the item is withheld at the customs agency. The item will be returned to you as they demand money when you in the advertisement did not claim an additional cost for the customs fee. Thank you for everything.”

Listing clearly states this:

"***“International Buyers – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.
Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying.”

How will the case be decided from here on out? #unsure

2 Likes

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me awhile back. It seems as if simply the buyer refused to pay for fee’s associated with the item. Which is 100% the buyers responsibility.

If the buyer doesn’t pay the fee and it gets sent back to you, then you’ll obviously have to refund him but you’ll have your item back.

Personally, I wouldn’t refund the buyer until YOU have the item in your possession. But ebay might make you refund sooner because he already opened a case.

Either way just try and make sure the item is really on its way back to you and that the buyer isnt faking that message so he can get the item AND a refund.

1 Like

eBay doesn’t require refund until tracking shows delivered back to seller.

2 Likes

Okay perfect thats what I was unsure about. Try and get ebay to put a hold on the case until its returned to you.

1 Like

My reply is maybe a bit late but maybe useful for the future.
Last time I had an issue on eBay and my local (Dutch) eBay couldn’t/didn’t want to help me I reached out to their eBay Facebook. They got a customer support team on there aswell, it has a few delays (10min to 8hr) but they helped me out without any hessitation.

1 Like

The Spanish eBay has been helpful, but can only deal with them via email support.

That said, eBay Australia have stated that I am covered as I have done everything correctly [just got off the phone with them]. Have to wait and see what the tracking details update with when the buyer decides to do something. Was also told that as I have done everything on my end, eBay will protect me and ensure the case is closed correctly and without a defect on my account.

Not the outcome I was hoping for [really don’t want the black triangle error packet back after all the issues it has already caused me], but I am grateful that I haven’t lost out here.

Thank you e4!

Message from buyer:

"Well, in that case I will proceed to inform the customs company to return the item to you. Thank you.
The second option would be that you send me pictures of the item without the letters of your user to put it on sale and thus be able to pay the customs costs. If so send them via email to "

What does removing the watermark achieve in regards to customs?

Also, sending the picture is possible via eBay. Any reason they would be requesting it be sent to their personal email?

He’s saying he wants the watermark removed so he can use the picture to sell the pack, and he can use the proceeds of that sale to pay the custom fees

in my experience sending pics through ebays message system results in extremely poor quality pics

1 Like