E reader+ Is a Beast of Tech

Wow, I got a lot of stuff that is definitely very damaged and thought I would test the cards to see if they still read. Here is the worst of the cards in question:

Add images

Believe it or not, that card still reads perfectly.

I then took the card and cut it to see if it still reads or not.

It still reads!!!

After that, I cut out a TINY triangle of the actual code.

AND GUESS WHAT! It still reads!!

Okay, now I have a personal goal to see what stops it from reading properly. So next I tried to cut out a larger slice from the card, an entire sliver.

It still works!!! How in the world?! What percent of the code on these cards is actually mandatory?

“Ok, so maybe I’ll try a much larger chunk. Let’s see what that does”, I thought.

Looks pretty extreme, right? Well you’d be correct, that was enough to kill it hahaha!

But man, color me impressed, I was terribly worried previously about a single scratch on these killing the card, but it proved to be insanely resilient.

21 Likes

It must be using some level of redundancy. It might be able to impute a few bits of obstructed info here and there with some kind of like checksum calculation. But for it to work after cutting out a whole section, I’d be really confounded if the pattern wasn’t repeated elsewhere in the barcode

6 Likes

Really interesting that a decent chunk knocks it out. I thought they’d repeat the data somewhere so it could read even when kids didn’t do a full swipe. Wonder if it’s the specific location you cut out?

1 Like

The protocol was already cracked a while ago by catsith2: Nintendo E-Reader Technical Details

If you want to learn more, you can search for “Hit Save!” and the experts there might tell you what you want to know instead of having to destroy your own cards.

13 Likes

I totally forgot I read about this once when I was looking at making my own custom e readers for the gen 3 games.

1 Like

Oh, very interesting little bit of info! I had checked out the site and read up about making e readers that could scan graded cards. Thought that was a really neat venture.

So 6 blocks can be lost and it’s still okay, not consecutive though. Regarding the damaging of my cards, I’m okay with losing the card haha! They were extras in a lot and I’ve already got those RS Sets completed. So it was just a free test card and I enjoyed running the experiment for myself😂

1 Like

E-readers still hold up great twenty years later! Underappreciated technology! Maybe it could make a retro comeback like vinyl records have.

1 Like

I’m loving it a lot. I think it would be replaced with the QR codes at this point, though. It kind of already has been done with the codes for PTCGO. However, I’d like to see something that actually has an affect on the games like these old e readers do. It would be a lot of fun to collect this type of thing for current games. I think it’d be a lot more likely to stick nowadays too as you don’t need :

• GBA
  • link cable
  • other GB(A/SP)
  • e reader
  • cards
  • copy of game.

Now you’d only need three of those, cards, game, and system, of which presumably two would already be in possession of one wanting these cards.

Do the ORAS cards affect the game itself? I believe someone recently was looking to collect them entirely if Im not mistaken :thinking:

E-reader was definitely part of a fun time back in the day. I liked all that novelty connectivity tech that Nintendo was pushing back in the Gamecube days. Lots of good memories with stuff like the Gamecube to GBA connectivity for Wind Waker, Pac Man VS and Animal Crossing. Obviously even further back Pokemon Stadium was rad with the Transfer Pak. Ah, fun times.

Here’s an old magazine ad I recently came across for the release of Expedition in the UK. Interestingly no E logo on the card in this ad! In fact the E-reader isn’t really mentioned at all. I don’t remember seeing any E-reader stuff in UK shops at that time.

3 Likes

I loved using the tingle tuner and was absolutely distraught when they removed it from the HD remake :pouting_man:

It seems likely that maybe it was released in america first, and since it flopped, they didn’t even want to try advertising for the e reader in Europe at all :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Interesting discovery.
I had no idea that e-Card can still work despite they’re highly played.
My first impression was READ ERROR message, but it’s amazing you can enjoy the content of the e-Cards despite the status of it.
As I frequently say: “Every day, new things about Nintendo e-Reader come to light”

1 Like

@ragingkraken @pigeonsyndicate
It’d be nice to have an eReader that didn’t require the user to damage their cards…

1 Like

The caveat for the QR code is that it rarely holds the actual information, but rather a reference to it.
IDK that it could hold an entire program, or even a small database like an amiibo. Generally QRs refer to a web resource or contain a small amount of data such as contact information.

1 Like

That would be nice. Until then, the only options to not kill your cards is use them in an emulator or have a printer accurate enough to print out the code strips.

2 Likes

Ahh! Okay, so it’s not likely that a QR code could perform in the same way as one of these dot strips on the e reader cards.

If that were the case, then yeah, I can’t say that I want QR codes for playing the game. I’d want something that could last through time and I don’t have to worry about Nintendo cancelling the service :expressionless:

1 Like