Dumbest virus/pandemic fomo decisions

Bid 5k on this thinking it would go for 2 (which is around what the previous one went for), just wanted to win it a lot turns out some other idiot had the same idea or something.

My pikachu then made it into a youtube video

it was paid for with graded jungle and base set zards so don’ feel too bad for me. Still own the card and love it.

11 Likes

8??
I opened 50 ETBs or so, and pulled 1 zard. Def one of the worst probability plays for me during pandemic

1 Like

I bought an art set of base set unlimited packs during the boom for like 2.8k as they kept rising and rising thinking that they would go nicely framed and to pair with my (unlimited) english and japanese base set starter decks. I was only starting to go deep into the hobby for the first time and it was one of my largest purchases at the time, thinking that surely these packs would stabilize at 1k each or something. Yea that was a terrible idea, but I still have them framed so they do look nice, although they don’t really fit so well into my core collection anymore.

I also bought an EX Emerald Milotic ex PSA 9 for 1k thinking it was underpriced because the PSA 10 was so exponentially more expensive.

There were some other rather costly purchases I made that have gone down significantly or flatlined since, but almost everything I bought at the time was for my personal collection, so they weren’t pure losses in that sense. Overall, I bought more things that ended up going up, so I still came out ahead. I definitely learned a lot during this time though and am now a much wiser collector! :slight_smile:

Buying a resealed Mario Pikachu Box because I did not have the experience and wisdom to know that reseals existed

2 Likes

Dumbest: Sending my cards to Ludkins in 2020

Not necessarily as a result of pandemic but I FOMO’d very hard for the Pikachu 016/DPt-P card. As collectors, I am sure we all have a list of cards that rarely show up on sale. This was one of them for me. I had personally never seen it for sale, and when it did, I forego all of the budgeting rules I had set for collecting and basically made sure I got this card.

Why was it stupid, well, I have certain rules in place for collecting, mainly revolving around a monthly cap of how much I spend. These are in place just for the purpose that I don’t FOMO and blow my budget out. If I have to get an expensive card, I usually wait for months and accumulate the funds to match the price and hope that the card is still there. These rules keep me in check and also keep me disciplined.

I am ashamed to say I did not stick to the rules I set for myself. Ended up extending way past my budget and did end up buying the card. I always justified, stating that I would never see this card for sale again. However, just a few weeks after I made the purchase, I saw 3 of these cards for sale. Same price range or even lesser due to slightly worse conditions. This kind of reinforced the fact that all I need is some patience. Cards always show up.

That being said, if the PalCity Promos show up, I am probably doing the same thing again.

Cheers!

4 Likes