Does this boost pack look resealed? How to authenticate

Hello all! Looking to buy this booster pack (please don’t buy it aha). Just wanted to ask your opinions and any helpful data that might aid in verifying authenticity of this item. Take a look here: www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Charizard-Art-Base-Set-Factory-Sealed-Booster-Pack-HEAVY-21g/143813820428?hash=item217bf8c00c%3Ag%3AAkIAAOSwxzxfm8XZ&LH_BIN=1

Thanks peeps

Can see why your interested in that pack. Potentially shadowless right? My main concern would be that pinprick.

1. If the cards were in the wrong place at the time of the damage you could have a cut/damage across the top of all the cards.

2. I personally wouldn’t buy weighted packs on eBay when the seller has nothing to compare it too. e.g pictures of light packs. I just don’t trust kitchen scales.

Pack does look legit in my eyes.

1 Like

It isn’t potential shadowless. It is guaranteed. It is long crimp. Just cannot for one second imagine this being legit. Seller doesn’t seem to have anything else for sale, seems to be a flipper of sorts, no pokemon experience. Sells all kinds of phone crap and all that sort of stuff–red flag. But most importantly, has no context or history of the pack, doesn’t mention it is shadowless at all. Sort of amazing that he has a shadowless pack there and doesn’t know it is shadowless. And that’s not the most important thing. It is claimed to be heavy at 21g. That is a total toss up to be non-holo vs holo. That is what is called a light/heavy pack for shadowless. Watch TCGgaming’s video here where he opens a 1st ed pack (same crimp, shadowless).

So for one, you can’t even be sure it is really legit, and two, even if it is not tampered in any way, and undamaged, has shadowless–it still could very likely be light. I would bet on it in fact, seeing as how you could get twice as much money for that if it were from a box break, and 5x as much if it were from said box and proven to be heavy. It does look fine to me, but no one at this point would not look into such an item and not advertise as shadowless, when it is in fact long crimp shadowless wrapper.

2 Likes

I’m not really concerned with it being light/heavy, I plan to keep it for my collection sealed, however I would want to send it to someone in the community that can authenticate it as it seems to have a slight bit of an opening on one of the crimps (could be normal). Yes it does raise some red flags, I’ve seen people mistake shadowless base packs for unlimited before its possible this seller doesn’t know, but you would think that they would at least research something worth over a grand. Let me know if you think its a risk worth taking or not, I offered him a grand to see what he would counter me and he just denied it.

Aw shoot looks like it just sold a second ago. Back to the refreshin on buy-it-now lol

@jifpeanutbutter think of it having just dodged a bullet man. With high $$$ items these days the only way to authenticate is to open. And since you don’t want to open, and you want a light pack, buy one from a trusted source. Don’t cheap out at the expense of authenticity. Trust me. It is a nightmare. Go with someone from the forum, or at least an ebay seller that is reputable and that someone here can back/verify. It was bound to sell fast because it was a good deal IF it were legit and heavy. Someone out there is always willing to take that risk. But the only thing you could have done was buy it and open it. It would have been foolish to buy and not open.

2 Likes

Thanks that is a good way to look at it, I took a bit of a risk in the past buying a few single packs from a few different sellers (random sellers on ebay), then a couple months later I trade my buddy a pack for some stuff and it turns out the cards inside were Japanese (from an English heroes pack!!!) and so I refunded my friend, but the seller I bought it from didn’t respond to me and its outside the return window. Its unfortunate that people go to the lengths to scam others this way, really unfortunate that there isn’t a cut dry “this is an authentic detail” sort of dealio. A purchase I made recently was for 33 1st edition packs (11x of rocket and 22x of heroes) from 1 ebay seller. Auctioned and opened one of the rocket packs on a Facebook stream to test that these packs were legit, which turned out they were legitimate (surely all of them should be), I don’t have a scale accurate enough to tell which are heavies, but I have much more trust with the seller due to the amount of discussion we had and the story of how they acquired the packs that these are truly unweighted packs. Eventually I want to have an art set of all wotc sets, light or heavy doesn’t matter a lot to me, just knowing that the packs are authentic is my main concern. Need to find some pack traders on efour now :blush:

Sorry for the rant, I do appreciate your input you’re probably right that I’ve dodged a bullet, but in this hobby I’ve seen actual deals that seemed too good to be true work out - the 33 1st ed packs (rocket/heroes) were purchased for $137 a piece a month ago. Moving forward I’ll try n be more aware as its never fun to buy a resealed pack, or worse to sell a resealed pack by accident like it once happened to my friend. Being I know the back story on the large pack purchase and the one opened is authentic, I feel its enough to go off of. I’ll always offer a guarantee to any future buyers of these products that if they stream it being opened and its a resealed pack, money back

Dude no one sells “unweighed” packs. 99.9% of people weigh, or lie about weighing. Load of rubbish. You better get a scale STAT and weigh those packs. Don’t know what you paid but you need to find out about the packs now. Too risky business.

Too good to be true deals do exist, but it is usual not worth the risk to try since these are so high $$$, but that’s just me.

Someone in here was like “why yes I will, thank you sir” : tips cap and sets the phone down