Maybe fake Base set booster pack??

Ordered these boosters on ebay and they look funny to me. They seller has lots of positive feed back for selling sealed boosters. Do y’all think these are real? The seal on the bottom looks wrong to me.

Here on the packs I got

ibb.co/gWSjNcn

ibb.co/hgz5pTg

ibb.co/nm1Vr1N

ibb.co/BTJW0Sg

What the listing showed

ibb.co/PCLfmK2

So the listing showed longed crimped packs, but you receive short crimped ones? Is that your issue?

I’m no expert, but the packs look good to me.

Yes the crimps are different and that is what looked really strange to me. I expected it to be the same as the pictures. I looked on ebay and could not find packs with the same crimps. It has been ~17 years since I have had one in my hands. Thank you for your time!

@lostyetfound,

I can see why you would be concerned. I don’t have my loose packs nearby at the moment or I would go check them. Someone else here should be able to help, but I would be concerned too that the listing does not match what you received. Did he say in the listing that the packs pictured were the exact ones you would get?

The crimp seems very short compared to the listing pics and not cut very straight too. I would like someone else’s opinion though. Rule of thumb with loose packs is do not expect a holo and assume everything is weighed. Did the reviews claim any holo pulls?

The listing only had
"This listing is for 3 Pokemon Base Set Booster Packs.

They are Factory Sealed out of the Booster Box. Had them since 1999

You will receive all 3 designs as shown in the picture."
They have sold 8 lots with more than 10 available. I expected to get no holos out of them I just wanted a set for nostalgia reasons. It just gave me a funny feeling that something is not right with them when I opened the package.

Can’t imagine why anybody would reseal one of those packs when they can just weigh them out?
Maybe it’s from one of those rolls and they make their own packs?

Bingo. The crimp looks really suspicious.

Op, can you confirm if the packs are cut straight or not? I noticed too, but I thought they were just folded or the angle you took the picture gave that impression.

Gary might be onto something here. It would be the only explanation. There aren’t convincing fakes out there. The print quality is always off.

Unfortunately, it would be hard to prove unless you film yourself opening a pack and it doesn’t contain the right cards.

If you’re in doubt, you might be able to get a refund since they don’t match with the puctures provided.

They are not cut straight.

ibb.co/JmPQMTG

ibb.co/qxpzpqh

ibb.co/xMpwFmp

the venusaur is the worst of all 3.
Ill send him a message on ebay asking for a return.
Thank you every one for your help!

Wow ok… Yeah, that’s probably homemade packs from booster rolls.

Warrants a claim so you don’t return them, resulting in these and/or more being sent out to someone else who might not know the difference.

Edit: Unless non-ebay. :confused:

I’m no expert in WOTC booster packs (never even opened one in my life), but even I can tell that these are cut extremely poorly from the examples I have scoured online. I would absolutely file a claim…

That’s a yikes. Definitely looks funny.

Might be an idea to see the weights of the packs, see if they’re all uniform, or perhaps there may be some heavier than others suggesting holos

Who is the seller?

They look fine to me. WOTC packs were ALL cut unevenly to some degree (look at the upper left and lower right - they were always longer). Packs that were cut straight and evenly were more of a surprise to me… and I’d be much more cautious if the seals are perfectly even. I don’t see anything suspicious with yours brother. I’d keep them :blush:

Yea, but the packs in the listing picture was with a long crimp and look perfect. Would the other packs be that different and not cut even close to straight? It’s far too suspicious to keep I think. The packs are too expensive to simply say, whatever I’ll keep them.

End of the day, if you want to keep them sealed, then put in a claim because they don’t look nice either way or open them and check. Curious to see what may be inside.

Although the ones originally pictured appear more defined along the crimp they are the same variant (short crimp, thin font packs). ALL WOTC packs were cut unevenly to some degree (some to a degree greater than others), including the packs exampled in the original photos. Cuts exactly like those and worse are/were not at all uncommon, so I want to at LEAST quell suspicion with that concern. To my eyes the packs he received appear in better condition than the ones originally pictured (comparing the Venusaur pack, for example). Of course he is welcome to file a claim if the eye appeal leaves something to be desired - Ebay is very favorable towards buyers.