Does Paypal refund fees for a seller cancelling an order?

Hey everyone. Recently had a high end item sell for full price on buy it now. It struck me as very odd as almost 100% of the time I have something listed with best offer on my items never sell full price. On top of this the buyer has been inactive since 2015. Just in the past six months I have had two instances of listings selling for full price to a mostly inactive eBay account where the buyer makes false claims about item condition on delivery in an attempt to scam. I really don’t feel like going through this with a high end item as the headache of it all would just be too much to handle :slightly_frowning_face:. I am going to go ahead and cancel the order because of this and just wanted to know if Paypal will charge me for the processing/purchase fees that go along with the purchase.

i believe you will lose out on the paypal fee if you cancel

1 Like

Every single PayPal fee penny is lost

2 Likes

Well I’m going to stop selling on eBay after reading this. What a **** policy! Gonna try and call them to see if anything can be done, not expecting much… but $100’s on fees because of a scammer is ridiculous.

I had a buyer purchase, pay for, and immediately request cancellation on a $1,500 item. I was livid when I lost the PayPal fee, but nothing I can really do about it. It’s clear in their ToS and I can’t wait to move to eBay managed payments because of it.

4 Likes

You haven’t been switched to managed payments? Because with managed payments you’d only lose a 30 cent fee (rather than the 2.9% + 30 cent fee that PayPal will withhold).

1 Like

Never heard of managed payments. How do you enable them? Is this something you put in when creating a listing?

Buyer came back and is claiming this is a “Sorry my nephew purchased this item” situation :slightly_frowning_face:
Sucks when someones “nephew” costs you $100’s in fees!

It’s something that eBay enrolls you in – if you don’t know what it is, then you’re not enrolled in it.

www.ebay.com/mes/dlpYou have to click express interest in them right now.

1 Like

I did this like two months ago and never heard back. Trying again. I have a high sales volume account so I figured they’d be keen…

How high is your sales volume? Because, AFAIK, they’ve been forcing the vast majority of accounts with a store subscription and regular sales into Managed Payments. I was forced into it back in July, IIRC.

Over $40K in the last 3 months and still nothing. Maybe the problem is that I don’t have a store subscription. I’ll look into that soon.

If it’s a couple hundred is fees it might be worth it to try and give PayPal a call. You never know, they might waive the fee if you explain the situation.